Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your always helpful advice. I always do my own research first but couldn't find this particular answer.

I have a large collections of movies music and photos. I just bought an external 1TB drive to store stuff on.

What I want to do specifically is load my entire iTunes library *occasionally* from this external. Then, when I don't have my external with me, I want to be able to keep a separate library loaded from my internal HD on my MBP.

Is it as simple as option+clicking the itunes icon and directing it to the external HD? Then next time, option clicking and directing back to the local itunes library? I've found that I can do this with iPhoto and for me its quite convenient. I'd prefer to not have to merge the two iTunes libraries and use the external all the time, or have a hassle each time I want to go to/from.

Hope this all makes sense. Thanks!

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
Not sure what the answer is but have a similiar question.

I want my movies in iTunes on an external but want my music internal.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 20, 2011
I'm sure somebody out there has a tip - we'd love to hear it. Also feel free to let me know if what I'm trying to do is not possible and the two would have to be merged.

Thanks!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.