Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Just read Sapphire starts shipping Radeon 7950 Mac next Tuesday (http://www.macgadget.de/News/2013/03/15/Radeon-HD-7950-Mac-Version-kurz-vor-Auslieferung)

Hmm, next Tuesday ..., but still no official word about the price ???

Isn't that the day Apple is usually introducing new Hardware?

Could it be, we'll see something new on the Mac Pro front that day and Sapphire holds back on naming a price for that reason?

Of cause pure speculation ...

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Just read Sapphire starts shipping Radeon 7950 Mac next Tuesday (http://www.macgadget.de/News/2013/03/15/Radeon-HD-7950-Mac-Version-kurz-vor-Auslieferung)

Could it be, we'll see something new on the Mac Pro front that day and Sapphire holds back on naming a price for that reason?

Good find. If I was a betting man, I'd say there's something to this. I guess we'll know in a few days. :)

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong

Sorry for my poor English first :D
I am from HK, confirmed that this card will arrive this week, around HKD 3500-3700, can pre-order right now!

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Cool! But they missed the boat again! When will I see a MacPro card in brushed aluminum with cheese grater holes and flowing rounded handles atop? :D

radeon_hd_7950.jpg

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I love articles like this, they let me live in the lie that I can actually read German :D

No long words not to technical or complicated.

Cecco

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 11, 2008
Sorry for my poor English first :D
I am from HK, confirmed that this card will arrive this week, around HKD 3500-3700, can pre-order right now!

Thanks for the info.

Might translate to $499 or 399 €. Quite a heavy "Mac tax" given the PC version currently starts at 220 €. :(

Do you have any information, whether the card shown a CEBIT was indeed a production sample as mentioned? That would mean it won't fit into slot 1 of the current Mac Pros due to the long screws at the bottom. I'm pretty sure about this, because I recently had to modify a GTX 570 with similar screws to fit into slot 1.

That would be a real bummer.

And if that is the case, I really wonder, why Sapphire would develop a card, that won't fit into the only 2-slots-high PCIe slot 1 (aka the one especially made to take those bigger graphics cards without blocking additional slots) of the Mac Pro, unless they made the card for a new Mac Pro with a different layout of the PCie slots.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
One size fits all???

Thanks for the info.

Might translate to $499 or 399 €. Quite a heavy "Mac tax" given the PC version currently starts at 220 €. :(

Do you have any information, whether the card shown a CEBIT was indeed a production sample as mentioned? That would mean it won't fit into slot 1 of the current Mac Pros due to the long screws at the bottom. I'm pretty sure about this, because I recently had to modify a GTX 570 with similar screws to fit into slot 1.

That would be a real bummer.

And if that is the case, I really wonder, why Sapphire would develop a card, that won't fit into the only 2-slots-high PCIe slot 1 (aka the one especially made to take those bigger graphics cards without blocking additional slots) of the Mac Pro, unless they made the card for a new Mac Pro with a different layout of the PCie slots.

Good Point! I am wondering in which Version of the MP the card will work. Remember, every time when Apple releases one of the very rare gpu refresh, they restrict its use to certain models.

What do you think, will it work in a MP 1,1 ? If not, will it work in a 3,1 ??

Will Apple really allow us a "Free-out-of-the-prison-gpu-card" that fits all this time??

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
Good Point! I am wondering in which Version of the MP the card will work. Remember, every time when Apple releases one of the very rare gpu refresh, they restrict its use to certain models.

Will Apple really allow us a "Free-out-of-the-prison-gpu-card" that fits all this time??

But this card doesn't come from Apple, it comes from Sapphire. Apple has nothing to do with this card.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Interesting timing for sure...

Probably unrelated, but I was invited to a local/regional Apple Business Network event to be held this week. Event is being advertised as an invitation only networking opportunity with ability to meet the Business (Sales) Team associated with the local retail stores and learn about the benefits of working directly with them. Trying to free my schedule to attend, if possible.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe German screws are different.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
I hope you are right...

But this card doesn't come from Apple, it comes from Sapphire. Apple has nothing to do with this card.

I absolutely hope you are right Chris, but I dont think so. By making a card that Works in an Apple machine, they have to follow certain rules & regulations. Its like a TierOne supplier or third party agreement. They would not want to cross Apple on that one, I can assure you that.

I hope the card will work at least in an Octo MP of 2009. Thats the one I plan on to get in three weeks from now, just to be part of the gang...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

That hypothesis got shot down in the same thread it was proposed in before.

Post number 54 in this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1552286/

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada

The machine has to be running 10.8.3 because that is where the driver first appears other than the beta releases for it. So that leaves out under the 3,1 I think anything that cannot boot efi64 bit. Hopefully the ROM contained on the card gets posted shortly after release I got my eye on a open box 7950 going for just over $200 I would like to flash to have the boot screen on startup.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Wait... Does this mean saphire trixx for mac?
Time to overclock some mac pros? and macbook pros. and iMacs. Assuming it has laptop gpu support.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I absolutely hope you are right Chris, but I dont think so. By making a card that Works in an Apple machine, they have to follow certain rules & regulations. Its like a TierOne supplier or third party agreement. They would not want to cross Apple on that one, I can assure you that.

Nope, they don't.

AMD handles the drivers, Sapphire makes the card. Apple has nothing to do with it.

(The reason this card is going out through Sapphire is likely because Apple wanted nothing to do with it.)

Anyone can make a card that works in a Mac. There is no licensing program or agreement to go through. In the case of GPUs it's easier because Apple will include whatever drivers AMD tells them to.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010

Last I checked, the Apple 5770 and 5870 both work in all Mac Pros.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I wish amd would just give downloadable drivers, and not a hard time with osx updates.

AMD used to have drivers downloadable, not sure why they don't any more.

One possible explanation is that the drivers are linked to the OpenGL ABI in Mac OS X. In some cases, drivers may only be compatible with certain OS X versions anyway.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
There is no licensing program or agreement to go through. In the case of GPUs it's easier because Apple will include whatever drivers AMD tells them to.

Pragmatically they need to be a Mac developer. They will need access to the lower level bug submission queues. Also some software is necessary even if early access to new OS X drops to run the early access driver drops AMD/Nvidia might give them to use for development and tracking long term evolution of OS X.

But yes, no heavyweight gating function. If a 3rd party wants to take on support for old, very low volume configs stuck on previous generation OS X version levels they can if they want. It won't be inexpensive but they could.

For 3rd part GPU card vendors though, it doesn't make much sense though to try to swim upstream from what Apple and the basic GPU driver support is aligned with. There are multiple chefs in the "kitchen" here and they aren't the head chef.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Pragmatically they need to be a Mac developer. They will need access to the lower level bug submission queues. Also some software is necessary even if early access to new OS X drops to run the early access driver drops AMD/Nvidia might give them to use for development and tracking long term evolution of OS X.

They probably do have access to the lower level bug submission queues (as they are sending software upstream to Apple), but that wouldn't be necessary either. I know of plenty of drivers out there from people who do not have low level bug submission queues.

They may also have access to early OS X drops, but again, that's a function of their drivers being included with OS X, not really because they're a GPU driver maker.

For 3rd part GPU card vendors though, it doesn't make much sense though to try to swim upstream from what Apple and the basic GPU driver support is aligned with. There are multiple chefs in the "kitchen" here and they aren't the head chef.

Apple doesn't actually have very much control here. I've heard noise about it from Apple before (can royally screw up their testing cycles). AMD and NVidia can do whatever they want with the driver, whenever they want, and include whatever card support they want, and Apple's role is to slipstream the drivers into OS X.

It may not be in AMD's/NVidia's interest to spend time working on cards that Apple isn't shipping, but they sure seem to be doing it, as evidenced by the wide range of cards they're supporting these days.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It may not be in AMD's/NVidia's interest to spend time working on cards that Apple isn't shipping, but they sure seem to be doing it, as evidenced by the wide range of cards they're supporting these days.

They'd be suicidal not to be expanding the card options right now.

First, Apple has totally screwed up the Mac Pro product management. There is a substantial opportunity created by Apple falling on their face to sell cards to those "stuck" on this basic 2009-2012 model to significantly move forward on performance based on buying PCI-e GPU card upgrades. Apple selling cards from the 2009 era only opens the door for others to fill that gap.

If Blackmagic and Nvidia can walk in and say
" ... DaVinci Resolve, colorists seek the highest performance possible from their systems, and with just one of the new Kepler GPUs our users will be able to work with 4K imagery on their Mac Pros in real time. ... " by dropping several thousand dollars on their solution to make a current Mac pro a real-time editing bay then why not. If Apple gets screwed for the next couple of years until that user has money to pay for a new base unit then that is Apple's problem. Apple snoozed and lost.

Second, they have to stay in the game to be eligible to land the job of being selected the default for the next Mac Pro. Yeah the other Macs tends to all swing the same way ( all AMD or all Nvidia) this is the one Mac those vendors can keep a foot in the door even if they loose the much larger contract. Given Intel is increasing taking a larger share of the graphics work home, being picky isn't an option. They can keep a subset (if not all) of the driver team active just with filling competitive gaps on Mac Pro if necessary. The expertise on a Mac Pro oriented driver could be used on next's mobile driver also. There is no huge long term downside in staying in the game if Apple is going to continue to buy significant numbers of discrete GPUs.

Everything Apple is doing right now, or lack of doing like shipping, on the Mac Pro is indicative that they "mothballed" the Mac Pro team and now are stumbling around trying to get it restarted. Keeping a team active, even downsized slightly, is generally more competitive than doing what Apple apparently did.

Just because Apple chose to screw up the Mac Pro as a platform for revenue growth doesn't mean their partners need to do the same thing. In fact, taking advantage of Apple screw ups is generally a good place to make money. Apple does screw up. This sub-market is one of the major instances over last 6-8 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.