Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rMBP15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
If Apple prides themselves for paying attention to every single details, why would they not include black chargers and earphones then??? Matching the color of these accessories with the actual color of the phone would be a must.

#rant of the day

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
Cause white chargers and earphones has been apples thing since the first iPod. I have the black iPhone and it doesn't bother me.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
A few reasons...

1. If Apple chose to match the color of the headphones to the device, then they would need to do that with their iPods as well, and most people probably don't want lime green headphones to match their lime-green iPod. If you want black headphones, buy a pair from any one of the hundreds of headphone makers.

2. Apple chose white for their earbuds back when they first shipped and designed them. At the time, it was unheard of and really made them stand out. It is now one of their most over-looked and iconic designs they have ever done. They are Apple's signature designs and most recognizable features. You see someone with white earbuds and chances are they are using an Apple product.

3. Despite what many say, Apple has a degree of planned obsolescence in their designs. The iPod touch's chrome back that instantly became scratched the moment you took it out of the package, the glass back on the iPhone 4, the scratchable black coating on the iPhone 5. All of these were conscious decisions to make you feel as though your device is old and outdated. The white cords do the same, after a few weeks use, they become dirty and draw attention to the age of your device and unconsciously make you want to update them.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
2. Apple chose white for their earbuds back when they first shipped and designed them. At the time, it was unheard of and really made them stand out. It is now one of their most over-looked and iconic designs they have ever done. They are Apple's signature designs and most recognizable features. You see someone with white earbuds and chances are they are using an Apple product.

This is true. I even remember back in the early iPod days there were articles about thieves who would specifically look for people wearing white headphones because they knew only iPods came with them so they'd know who to rob. It was both good and bad I suppose

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
U view it as mismatch, Apple view it as "Apple Cool."

By ur taste, a black blazer goes well with a black shirt, a black tie, black shoes and black socks.

White cables is an Apple signature, but ur always welcome to buy third party accessories of course to suit ur taste.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
A few reasons...

3. Despite what many say, Apple has a degree of planned obsolescence in their designs. The iPod touch's chrome back that instantly became scratched the moment you took it out of the package, the glass back on the iPhone 4, the scratchable black coating on the iPhone 5. All of these were conscious decisions to make you feel as though your device is old and outdated. The white cords do the same, after a few weeks use, they become dirty and draw attention to the age of your device and unconsciously make you want to update them.

Its a nice little theory but, no.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
U view it as mismatch, Apple view it as "Apple Cool."

By ur taste, a black blazer goes well with a black shirt, a black tie, black shoes and black socks.

White cables is an Apple signature, but ur always welcome to buy third party accessories of course to suit ur taste.

Lol where do you people come up with some of these arguments?

Wanting black earbuds to go with a black phone is more like wanting two black shoes instead of one white and one black.

Sheesh. :rolleyes:

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
The problem with the white ear-pods is that your advertising whats in your pocket to would be muggers.

Personally I'm not taken with my ip5 ear-pods and elected to purchase Monster Turbines that are tons better, but quite expensive for in-ear phones at £140 GBP or $211.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Personally I'm not taken with my ip5 ear-pods and elected to purchase Monster Turbines that are tons better, but quite expensive for in-ear phones at £140 GBP or $211.

Me neither, even if they did make them in Black i still wouldn't use them, horrible uncomfortable sound leaking rubbish.

Never used them with any of the iPhones i've had, or iPods.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
“A fight is going on inside me when it comes to the iPhone5,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight between two wolves. One is evil -always looking for the weak in Apple, the wrong within its iDevices. The other is good - he is joy, seeing the positive and the sweat equity Apple developers have put into making a terrific iPhone.
The same fight is going on inside you - and inside every other person, too.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The seasoned Apple user simply replied, “The one you feed.”

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
“A fight is going on inside me when it comes to the iPhone5,” he said to the boy. “It is a terrible fight between two wolves. One is evil -always looking for the weak in Apple, the wrong within its iDevices. The other is good - he is joy, seeing the positive and the sweat equity Apple developers have put into making a terrific iPhone.

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather, “Which wolf will win?”

The way I heard it, it was a Native American chief talking to his grandson about the fight between being a good, responsible man and being a foolish, lazy, and wicked man. Which makes sense because the wolf is a strong symbol of strength to them.

A grandfather and his kid, swinging on a leisurely bench on their wrap around porch in southern Georgia, sipping on lemonade?

Eh. . .

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
First world problems.

LOL

----------

Ha I really liked this. People seem to expect innovation to be a mathematical constant, like it should happen every week. This is what we've been spoiled by.

calaverasgrande

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2010
Brooklyn, New York.
but as we all know, apples white cords get dingy and gross in a a few weeks.
I get that they are trying to be iconoclastic. Black cables are standard for all other kinds of consumer electronic and computing devices. But they do hold up to wear and tear better than white ones!

rMBP15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
What are the odds that we will be seeing this this year?

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I actually really like the contrast between the black phone and the white accessories. I think it adds a touch of subtle flair, if you will. But the Ear Pods aren't comfortable at all. Maybe I'll replace them with some white Sony ones in the future. For now they do the trick though.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I think black accessories would be cool as sh--.

Having said that, the SQ of the new earpods is so much better than I had anticipated, I am grateful I don't have to buy a new pair of headphones right off the bat.

These 'pods actually sound GOOD; I'd give them a solid B- or B grade, regardless of price.

But yeah, black earpods would be super cool.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Isn't this why an aftermarket exists? I've honestly never used the included buds from apple products. In fact I feel it helps my upgrading resale value as I can state that they are unused/unopened in the listing. I use Klipsch in ear buds and they are black. I'm keeping the iP5 new style buds in the plastic case they came with!

Also, I bought an aftermarket wall charger and cord which are black from Khomo on buy.com (rakuten?!?) and the cord is the nice matte soft feel like Apple cords. The wall charger, unfortunately didn't work, but it looked like an Apple wall charger for the 5 but was piano black (ie. shiny, not matte).

rMBP15

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2013
But these minor details are supposed to be addressed... It's supposed to be easy for apple to address

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.