Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anybody can offer some assistance.

I got myself an iPhone 5 yesterday and today have been trying to sync music to the device, but I'm not having much luck. I've been able to sync apps and books to the iPhone, but can't seem to get music to sync.

Under the music tab, I have selected various playlists and artists to sync. I then sync the phone and it appears to be working fine, as no error message is given. Once the sync is complete, there is no music on the device. I've also tried to "manage music manually", and this fails to copy over also. I have not tried a factory restore yet.

Any ideas as to what I may have missed?

My iTunes library syncs successfully to two iPads and a iPod nano with no problems.

Cheers,

FireFly62

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Same issue here.

This is my first Smart phone. I already have an Apple TV which I use to stream my 5000 song iTunes collection from the cloud over my WiFi.

Now with the new iPhone 5, I can see and play all the songs from the cloud, but I am playing them over the 4G wireless network. I am concerned that I will be burning through my data plan. I bought a 32GB iPhone 5 so I could store my collection on my phone and play it at any time regardless of whether I can find a wireless network.

When I try to move the songs from my MacBook Air to the phone (connected via USB cable), the iPhone device in iTunes does not seem to add the songs. The MUSIC tab for the iPhone in iTunes only says "iPhone can access music in iCloud. Songs can be downloaded and played via WiFi or a cellular network."

I am able to download songs directly from the cloud to the phone, but I don't want to use the 4G wireless network to download 5000 songs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

mikeology

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2012
Separate issues

The problem reported by FireFly62 may be different from that of adam.b.

FireFly62, your probable problem is this:

Syncing of music via iCloud (iTunes Match) precludes syncing of music via iTunes. This is not a bug, you simply must decide whether to use iTunes OR iTunes Match but not both, to sync music on your phone. To stop syncing music via iCloud and use iTunes to configure what is synced, on your phone go to Settings / Music / iTunes Match and turn that OFF. Then go back to iTunes on your computer, then Devices / [Phone name], select Music from the top menu, configure your sync settings, and click Sync.

Alternatively, if you wish to use iCloud/iTunes Match to sync but only via Wi-Fi, then on your phone go to Settings / Music / iTunes Match, make sure it's on, and change its subsetting "Use Cellular Data" to OFF. However, this may prevent you from listening to your music via phone when you are away from a Wi-Fi network.

My problem may (or may not) be similar to that of adam.b.

Here are specifics of my situation:

I sync several playlists. Two of them contain songs in iTunes but remain empty on my iPhone 5. (I am using iTunes 10.8.2.)

In iTunes, under Devices, in the Music section of my listed phone device, the songs on two of my (supposedly) synced playlists are grayed out. Each grayed-out song has a cyclical icon next to the song number, as if the song were in the middle of being synced. But no sync is in progress.

No matter how many times I select Sync, the songs in these two lists are not synced. No error message appears during sync, either. Other lists are fully synced.

If I unsync all Music in iTunes, apply the change, then resync, again these two playlists are not resynced. If go to Preferences / Advanced in iTunes and reset warnings and the cache, then Sync, again nothing happens with these two playlists. If I copy the songs from these two lists to two new lists, again none of the songs in these two new lists are synced.

If the problem is due to a corrupt library file, I am very reluctant to delete my library file and recreate my playlists from scratch.

Last edited:

adam.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
If I unsync all Music in iTunes, apply the change, then resync, again these two playlists are not resynced. If go to Preferences / Advanced in iTunes and reset warnings and the cache, then Sync, again nothing happens with these two playlists. If I copy the songs from these two lists to two new lists, again none of the songs in these two new lists are synced.

If the problem is due to a corrupt library file, I am very reluctant to delete my library file and recreate my playlists from scratch.

mikeology, I think your problem is exactly the same as mine.

However, I might add that I also created deleted my old iTunes Library and started again from scratch to see if it made any difference. Unfortunately, it didn't and I still don't seem to have had any luck with moving music onto the phone.

I suppose the next step would be to restore the phone and seeing if that makes any difference at all.

adam.b

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
I suppose the next step would be to restore the phone and seeing if that makes any difference at all.

This seems to have been successful. I'm now able to select playlists, artists, or particular albums and they now appear on the iPhone successfully.

FireFly62

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Thanks Mikeology. It looks like I may need to make some changes. I hope I can still use iTunes match and iCloud for my Apple TV. If not, I can stream from my iPhone.

jksgray

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
iphone 5 synching problem fixed by turning off firewall

I was having the same problem with greyed out songs on my iphone 5 until I temporarily turned off my firewall, then music synched normally.

vtstarck

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Anyone else still having this problem? I'm unable to sync my playlists and I've heard from my brother that he's having the same issue.

MJA976

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I've been having the same problem. Was on the phone to Apple care for about 3 hours, they couldn't do anything. Restored it as a new phone etc, so in they end they sent me a new one. Just plugged it in and STILL won't sync my music. I get the same thing as everyone else (Music drop down - all music greyed out). Every time i press 'manually manage music' and then go to my music tab, the 'sync' tab isn't ticked, so when i tick it, i go back to the summary screen and 'manually manage music' is no longer ticked!! so frustrating. Tried to turn off my firewall as has been suggested but hasn't seemed to work. Any more help would be much appreciated!!

goegs

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
Hi Everyone - I've been playing with this all morning and finally got my iTunes Entire Library to synch to my iPhone. Just as Mikeology mentions above, you need to make sure that iTunes Match is off on your iPhone, then go to your iTunes Library on your computer, on the left hand side under STORE you will see iTunes Match listed, click on that, now on your screen it will ask you if you would like to activate iTunes Match, click NO THANKS! iTunes Match will then disappear from STORE. Now can you can go back to your device, select synch entire music library (or just the songs you want) and all you music will transfer to your iPhone.

DonCorpo

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
New York
Music grayed out Solved!

Hi Everyone - I've been playing with this all morning and finally got my iTunes Entire Library to synch to my iPhone. Just as Mikeology mentions above, you need to make sure that iTunes Match is off on your iPhone, then go to your iTunes Library on your computer, on the left hand side under STORE you will see iTunes Match listed, click on that, now on your screen it will ask you if you would like to activate iTunes Match, click NO THANKS! iTunes Match will then disappear from STORE. Now can you can go back to your device, select synch entire music library (or just the songs you want) and all you music will transfer to your iPhone.

Yes, this is the way to do it. Just got the iPhone 5 this evening and with this posted solution everything (on the library) is back to normal! Thanks!!

dadofkart

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2010
Works for Music, but not for Podcasts

I am trying to do a similar thing, but for podcasts. I turned of the iTunes Match on my iPhone 5(already off) and iTunes on my Mac(said no thanks). My music/songs then synced up and now work on my iPhone 5. My Playlists from my iTunes on my Mac now shows up on my iPhone 5. However my playlists that contain Podcasts are empty. BTW, the Podcasts app only contains podcast that I added on my iPhone, not ones on my iTunes on my Mac. The Podcast app does not have any podcast playlists functionality.
Any ideas?
I think iTunes 11 may resolve some of this.

scion5iPhone

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
iPhone 5 Music to iTunes Music

Both my iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 do not have iTunes Match. Both of them have Settings-Music-Shake to Shuffle-Sound Check-.....

I do not have problems to transfer music from the iTunes Music to the iPhones. Today I got my iPhone 5 64GB. First I had problems of application transfer from the 4S to the 5. The problem has been solved.

I have problems of music transfer from the iPhone to the iTunes Music. I use multiple computer so one of my laptops' iTunes music library is empty so I have been trying to transfer to the itunes music still no success. Transfer from the itunes music to the iPhone 5 is easy, just I clicked on the iTunes music folder and dragged it to the music folder to the iPhone 5.

May be some of you posters know how to transfer music from the iPhone to the iTunes so please help me. I can do it manually by doing copy paste with a usb drives but I think there must be a way to manage it with iphone and iTunes.

scion5iPhone

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
One Apple ID two iPhones problems

Before I used Samsung and changed to iPhone 4S now I have iPhone 5. I use one apple ID for 4S and iPhone 5. I have tried to create another ID but failed and I did not try hard.

My iPhone 5 is 2 days old. First it was not showed in My Computer then I re-installed the Apple USB driver by using System Device. Then iPhone 5 shows in My Computer but it disappeared from the iTunes. I did a couple of times reset but it did not work reset has no problem but the problem remains as usual. Only the solution is restored the iPhone 5 backup of iPhone 4S then it works. If I changed the names of the iPhone and the problems back.

iPhone 4S has no problems. The problem is only iPhone 5. So how can I fix this problem without back up from the iPhone 4S.

zblaze

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
iPhone 5 sync issue fix

Background: IPhone 5 during sync with with iTunes would hang at the last step. (Waiting for items to copy). iPhone OS is 6.1.

The iPhone was updated to 6.1 via WIFI which in itself should not be an issue. But, after trouble shooting I decided to try a restore and here is where I discovered the problem. The iPhone under settings was showing iOS 6.1 installed however with the phone connected to iTunes via a cable and selecting "restore" iTunes was telling me that iOS 6.1 was not installed??? Only after following all the on screen prompts and reinstalling and restoring the iPhone as "new". Did everything work as it should. (This includes a reinstall of 6.1)

Key note here is to set up as new when restore is done. Do not install your back up at this point.
Once you've gone through your iPhone on screen prompts for new set up, disconnect from iTunes , reboot phone and reconnect to iTunes via cable. Do a test sync. All should be working now. At this point you can go ahead and load your back up on your phone.

This process helps rule the phone out as the problem. If problem persists, try syncing other iOS devices. If they sync fine then it could be a cable issue(try different cable) or a hardware issue on the phone. If its the latter, then schedule an appointment at the nearest apple store.

How and why the iPhone 5 was showing 6.1 installed and iTunes was showing it wasn't is still a mystery. I would suspect that I am not the only one that was having this issue.

Hope this helps.

Comment:
All the above must be done via cable. Not over WIFI.

Last edited:

niell

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
I am still struggling

[QUOTE=goegs
I've done as you explained but my libry songs is still lite grey and nothing on my iphone do you perhaps have any idea what else it can be?

terrifitch

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2013
Problem solved...finally! :)

Wow, after spending many hours trying to figure out two things:

why my new iPhone 5 was not syncing my music (from laptop iTunes),
and why my pics were not being sent to my laptop via PhotoStream.

I even exchanged my phone at Verizon thinking it was the phone. I spent 3 hours at the store and another on the phone with tech support and this is how we resolved my challenge.

PhotoStream: if you have the icloud desktop, you will have to log out, then log back in. it should work.

Music: this one still has me stumped but it is what it is. Somehow, someway all my iTunes songs were uploaded to the cloud and REMOVED from my computer...I really don't think i did it, doesn't seem as something I would...albeit, if you're having this problem, look at your song list in iTunes, if it has the little cloud in one of the columns you'll need to download it to your pc and then it'll sync.

so happy to finally have this resolved, i was beside myself! :eek:

melmac77

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2013

Joined up to say Thank you so much for this solution which worked for me :)
I've never had any issues with iTunes in the past but this had me scratching my head. I now know why so may people complain about it, I never would have though to just say no Thanks in the store section. Thank You!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.