Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the kipper 71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Installed 6.1.2. and found battery life chronic afterwards.
From full to empty in 3 hours and was quite hot.
I nearly took it a store but thought id give anything a try.
ALL backed up save points did the same.
Set up as new Iphone then used icloud back for contacts and mail.
Then selected apps from cloud.
It seems that if you take an update over the air the phone behaves differently
from itunes upgrade.
It just takes a bit more time to add apps.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This has been suggested to people multiple times in multiple threads. Glad to see that it might have worked for you, but I would give it a few days/charge cycles before I declared Mission Complete.

stimm32

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Installed 6.1.2. and found battery life chronic afterwards.
From full to empty in 3 hours and was quite hot.
I nearly took it a store but thought id give anything a try.
ALL backed up save points did the same.
Set up as new Iphone then used icloud back for contacts and mail.
Then selected apps from cloud.
It seems that if you take an update over the air the phone behaves differently
from itunes upgrade.
It just takes a bit more time to add apps.

So did you "restore" the phone over the air from iCloud? Or just set it up as a new iPhone and then put everything back on it?

titleist59

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
My iphone 5 battery has been fine, even after last update it was fine. However the last 2 days battery drained and shut off by 5:00pm each day. Usually at that time I have at least 60% of charge left. I called Apple and did a complete phone restore through iCloud. Today at noon the battery is now down to 60% with virtually no use....and being connected to wifi. I am afraid I will need a replacement phone...anyone know what may be the cause all of a sudden?

toss002

Suspended
Jul 16, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
My Solution

This happens to me about 3 or 4 times since I got my iPhone 5...battery draining rapidly.

SOLUTION: Turn OFF the phone for about 10 or more minutes, and turn it back ON.
{Just turn the phone OFF, nothing more.}

*Resetting or rebooting the phone, this does not work as suggested by the poster below.

Turning OFF the phone for at least 10 minutes works every time for me w/o having to reboot, wipe clean, set as a new phone, etc...

Hope this help. :)

Last edited:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
OP: Glad you found a solution, but as the other poster suggested there are ways that are less invasive. Typically your symptoms are a rouge process that's consuming the CPU. If you want to analyse it you can download a utility to look at CPU and memory useage by process to identify it. Or you can turn off or reset the phone to stop all app processes. If it comes back then you need to find out what's causing it. It usually doesn't. :)

titleist59

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I went to the Apple Store over the weekend and they ran a diagnostics test that showed battery good but usage and standby time were equal.. They said I had to restore the phone as a new phone.....kind of like Spring cleaning they said...it was a software problem....so luckily the phone was backed up to my computer. I was able to get all my pictures from the computer and all my music. They did not want me to restore from an Icloud back up or previous backup. Hope that doesn't happen often...lost all my text messages.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I went to the Apple Store over the weekend and they ran a diagnostics test that showed battery good but usage and standby time were equal.. They said I had to restore the phone as a new phone.....kind of like Spring cleaning they said...it was a software problem....so luckily the phone was backed up to my computer. I was able to get all my pictures from the computer and all my music. They did not want me to restore from an Icloud back up or previous backup. Hope that doesn't happen often...lost all my text messages.

I don't understand how you lost your text messages when restoring from your computer backup. This backup also saves text messages, call logs and photos. Care to explain?

titleist59

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Apple consultant wouldn't let me restore from computer back up or icloud. Basically had to set up as a new iPhone so all that was on the phone was what was on in the icloud settings (email, notes, calendars, contacts) Everything else was gone....when I got home I was instructed to plug into the computer and set up as new iphone and then sync whatever I wanted.....and text messages are not there. Its basically cleaning out the phone and then putting on all your music, pictures, and apps. All of my apps were like they were brand new again.

Auxo

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2013
A³tweaks
OP: Glad you found a solution, but as the other poster suggested there are ways that are less invasive. Typically your symptoms are a rouge process that's consuming the CPU. If you want to analyse it you can download a utility to look at CPU and memory useage by process to identify it. Or you can turn off or reset the phone to stop all app processes. If it comes back then you need to find out what's causing it. It usually doesn't. :)

What specific utility are you talking about?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.