Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In an interview in The Australian Financial Review (via AllThingsD), Blackberry CEO Thorsten Heins describes iOS as an outdated user interface, claiming that the iPhone is at risk of being replaced in the popularity stakes due to a lack of innovation.

blackberry.jpg
"Apple did a fantastic job in bringing touch devices to market ... They did a fantastic job with the user interface, they are a design icon. There is a reason why they were so successful, and we actually have to admit this and respect that," Mr Heins said.

"History repeats itself again I guess ... the rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don't innovate at that speed you can be replaced pretty quickly. The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about is now five years old." [...]

"The point is that you can never stand still."
Heins has firsthand experience of this phenomenon, as BlackBerry has received significant criticism over its lack of innovation as its worldwide smartphone market share has fallen from nearly 20% to just 3.5% over the past three years. The company is hoping for a revival of its fortunes with the Blackberry Z10, which is launching in Australia and the United States in the coming days following debuts in several other countries in recent weeks.

Apple design chief Jonathan Ive late last year took over responsibility for software as well as hardware design following the departure of former iOS head Scott Forstall, generating great interest in the extent to which Apple may update the user interface in iOS 7.

Article Link: BlackBerry CEO Says Despite a 'Fantastic Job' With iOS Design, Apple Now Lacks Innovation

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Blackberry never had innovation so they don't know what it means.

Yes, Apple needs to step it up but BB should be the last one to throw a shot.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
True very true. Apple is getting defensive because they know they are stale. Thats why they launched the 'Why You'll Love an iPhone' campaign, and Phil Schiller is getting super defensive on Twitter.

The Retina display on iPhone ushered in the era of super-high-resolution displays. Its pixel density is so high, your eye can’t distinguish individual pixels. The images and words are amazingly vivid and crisp. Everything just looks so real. In fact, once you see a Retina display, you’re never satisfied with anything less. Yet it remains a feature found only on iPhone and other Apple products.

Thats a lie. Other manufactures have higher ppi, and a larger screen. They know they don't have anything special, so they are trying to make the best with what they have. Although I think it is more iOS thats stale rather than the hardware. But twice a year hardware updates are necessary IMHO. Once a year updates are playing catch up, not catching up and going beyond.

Apple needs to stay above their competitors, not behind.

Last edited:

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
If anyone would have first hand knowledge of losing market leadership because of a lack of (or even perceived lack of) innovation it would be a Blackberry executive.

This stuff doesn't happen overnight though. It took RIM 2 years to re-brand themselves and bring BB10 to market. We're only a few months into the executive shake up at Apple, so I don't know how much change we can really expect to see in iOS 7.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Surprisingly, I agree.

It seems a bit surprising to hear it from a loser, but I guess it shouldn't be.

After all, Jobs was a loser, once. Do remember that he had to have some humble pie before he learned how to properly take and maintain a lead in the market with the iPod.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
How nice of them, while i agree they should be innovating, i also disagree ... Don't change for the sake of change, you have to find a way that is truly better or the hate of the new product will hurt you more like maps

aajeevlin

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2010
The thing with the internet is that you really want to watch what you say and know when to keep your mouth shut. Maybe he is right about Apple being behind and all. But if I were him, I'd keep my mouth shut until BlackBerry is showing any "actual" come back on the market. Focus on making your product better, and not running around to make snap comments like this.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
How nice of them, while i agree they should be innovating, i also disagree ... Don't change for the sake of change, you have to find a way that is truly better or the hate of the new product will hurt you more like maps

Something folks here would do well to remember.

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
From BB who also missed this innovation train this judgment sounds even more right.
Hopefully iwatch will bring some momentum back :D

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
The sooner Apple let's go of the past, and creates a fresh new iPhone the better.

Instead of using words in their counter attacks by the likes of Phil Schiller et al, why not take _Action_ and show the world just how great Apple can be.

A novel idea, I know, but one that has produced results far better than being complacent, while resting on their past laurels.

Oh sure, the arguments will focus on current profits off the sheer strength of the brand, but nothing lasts forever.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Wait, blackberry is saying another company lacks innovation? Blackberry released the same phones each year with very minor spec bumps.

How long did it take BB to get a webkit browser? And when we did get a webkit browser, it sucked majorly.

Apple needs to innovate, no doubt about that. Their hardware is stellar, their customer service is better than all others, but their OS lacks freshness.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I agree, but really BB is just now only following in Apple's footsteps. Granted there are some nice features in 10... however they should have been there 2 years ago. BB is still missing the 'wow' factor.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
For first time users iOS is by no means stale and still is the better OS, it's its users which gets bored by it.

As for BB, I would recommend them to only use their Icon on their phones and remove the "Blackberry" from it's phones, would be much better and is still very much recognisable.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
True very true. Apple is getting defensive because they know they are stale. Thats why they launched the Love iPhone campaign, and Phil Schiller is getting pissed on Twitter.

Thats a lie. Other manufactures have higher ppi, and a larger screen. They know they don't have anything special, so they are trying to make the best with what they have. Although I think it is more iOS thats stale rather than the hardware. But twice a year hardware updates are necessary IMHO. Once a year updates are playing catch up, not catching up and going beyond.

Apple needs to stay above their competitors, not behind.
So it's only about higher ppi? So the company that has the highest ppi in their display automatically has the best display?

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
I agree and it sucks. I'll be giving up my iPhone 5 for the S4. If the iOS7 is interesting the phone will come out the cabinet.

But any of you who seriously think that iOS isn't stale and lacking and the iPhone isn't stagnating are truly lying to yourselves.

S beam should have been an iPhone feature from the start.

I love tech, and i feel it just so happened to be Apples decades, and that might be over.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I think Heins has been reading Macrumors comments. Same whiney complaints I've been reading for months.

Also: I don't think he should be talking about innovation when the number one solution to a blackberry problem is "battery pull".

unclejuicyjoe

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Funny....

I can remember Mr. Jobs saying the iphone was five years ahead of the next competitor five years ago....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.