Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
A few days ago my iPod photo stopped working. It kept displaying a "sad iPod" icon, and wouldn't play music or be recognized by my computer. I went to the iPod support website, and was informed that my warranty was expired and repair would be $280. After realizing there was not much else to do, I signed up.

Then, I remembered there is a one year parts warranty on iPods... and this bugger's not a year old. So I called Apple and was informed that i merely had to pay $29.95 for shipping and handling, unless I wanted the $49 student Applecare, which would cover the shipping cost and any future blunders.

I want others to know that there is likely an alternative to the widely prescribed (and overpriced) online repair service provided by apple. $280 is alot of money, and it's rediculous to me that I almost was tricked into paying this when really i had to only pay $49 at most.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I would say so...

mad jew said:
They're not doing anything illegal, are they?
$29.95 for shipping and handling is highway robbery. This is ridiculous..

Nuc

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
pdpfilms said:
A few days ago my iPod photo stopped working. It kept displaying a "sad iPod" icon, and wouldn't play music or be recognized by my computer. I went to the iPod support website, and was informed that my warranty was expired and repair would be $280. After realizing there was not much else to do, I signed up.

Then, I remembered there is a one year parts warranty on iPods... and this bugger's not a year old. So I called Apple and was informed that i merely had to pay $29.95 for shipping and handling, unless I wanted the $49 student Applecare, which would cover the shipping cost and any future blunders.

I want others to know that there is likely an alternative to the widely prescribed (and overpriced) online repair service provided by apple. $280 is alot of money, and it's rediculous to me that I almost was tricked into paying this when really i had to only pay $49 at most.

The website must have made a mistake if it claimed your warranty had expired. The phone service and online repair service are one and the same as far as I know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.