Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Like the preinstalled ones. Cities like Paris and New York are the only ones that have 3D buildings. But in my city, it does not. What kind of oversight is this?

Our city is historically well known and is beyond the cream of the crop when it comes to quality of life and standard of living, it's very high.

So I'm very irritated that my city isn't in 3D on Maps, but only no brainer cities.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Like the preinstalled ones. Cities like Paris and New York are the only ones that have 3D buildings. But in my city, it does not. What kind of oversight is this?

Our city is historically well known and is beyond the cream of the crop when it comes to quality of life and standard of living, it's very high.

So I'm very irritated that my city isn't in 3D on Maps, but only no brainer cities.

And you felt a need to come here and whine about it . . . fantastic.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's not that easy—nor cheap—to map a city in 3D. It requires the use of a plane with specialized cameras and software to generate the 3D maps. Apple acquired the company C3 Technologies for their maps, and not everything's perfect, especially up close. Manual correction is required and even then I doubt Apple will spend all their resources into perfecting it.

Apple has, however, been constantly updating their 3D maps. Just don't expect your city to be 3D-ified.

Source: http://www.applegazette.com/apple-inc/how-apple-creates-3d-flyover-maps/

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011

What city are you from?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I live in a nice city too but I don't want 3D photos, in fact, I want no photos at all. Like the the way it is, don't want no more riffraff coming here! :p

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I live in a nice city too but I don't want 3D photos, in fact, I want no photos at all. Like the the way it is, don't want no more riffraff coming here! :p

Ha, ha, I don't want no freaking map either. Keep it nice and secret... :cool:

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
How am I expected to take Flyover seriously when it only works in the most basic cities?

It's not even legit. Like, just think of a random city and chances are it's not in 3D.

It's only a handful. The Dubai Airport is not in 3D, and they're richer than us.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say only New York, California and Paris have 3D maps.

But actually it's only available in 80 cities. Also Apple shows favoritism to the United States.

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
How am I expected to take Flyover seriously when it only works in the most basic cities?

It's not even legit. Like, just think of a random city and chances are it's not in 3D.

It's only a handful. The Dubai Airport is not in 3D, and they're richer than us.

If I didn't know any better, I'd say only New York, California and Paris have 3D maps.

But actually it's only available in 80 cities. Also Apple shows favoritism to the United States.

No **** Apple shows favoritism to the United States. Its an American company. Products are released in the US first, new features come out in the US first and most of their profits come from the US.

They are only going to spend the enormous amount of money to 3D map a city if it is not going to have a large number of people viewing it. Right now, the US has the highest density of iPhone users. You are either extremely ignorant or you are trolling us.

Saying Apple shows favoritism to the United States is like saying BBC favors the UK.

Last edited:

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Sorry, I just thought the point of Maps was to be able to use it in a place you haven't been or are unfamiliar. That's what I thought.

Last edited:

roow110

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2011
Sorry, I just thought the point of Maps was to be able to use it in a place you haven't been or are unfamiliar. That's what I thought.

This is true. Maps are extremely useful in new places. But financially Apple must first map the places that get the heaviest uses. People haven't been and are unfamiliar with hundred's of thousands of small towns around the word, but that doesn't mean they can map them. They will map the most used places first and then work down from there. People would be outraged if Apple invested millions of dollars to map "Truth or Consequences, New Mexico" and thus help a few thousand get around when they instead could map New York City or Paris and literally help tens of millions.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

I hope you're a troll and not a real person, for your sake.

If you are a troll, an Android fan who's signed up to say how bad Apple is, then well done you got a reaction.

If you're a real person, then I don't even know where to start.

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
I hope you're a troll and not a real person, for your sake.

If you are a troll, an Android fan who's signed up to say how bad Apple is, then well done you got a reaction.

If you're a real person, then I don't even know where to start.

Of course not, for something that's an instantly-bannable offense, you've effectively ended the discussion.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

You said it yourself.....you don't know any better. Try google, you can easily find a list of 3D cities....NOT in the USA.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Of course not, for something that's an instantly-bannable offense, you've effectively ended the discussion.

It obviously takes a lot of time and money to map cities in 3D.

Apple has to prioritise cities, because it can't do them all straight away.

I'd imagine Apple prioritises cities with how many people live or visit it for the most part.

Also, some countries have strict laws, things to do with privacy, which may prohibit Apple from flying planes over cities to get the 3D information.

Apple does not prioritise the cities by, if they are a nice place to live, or how rich the people who live there are.

I live in a small town in England, and I am not expecting it to be in 3D within the next 5 years.

Just be patient, it will come.

----------

And instantly bannable?

I'm just questioning why you are here, but it's now obvious you are a real person, so apologies for that.

I just can't comprehend how you expect anybody to map the entire world in 3D so fast.

They are adding cities all the time, and I'd imagine your city will come at some point.

Like I say, they can't do it all at once.

sauder

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Well, I never knew how they were going about it. I never knew they had to fly planes over to map it in 3D and I didn't know they were doing it by city. Maps should definitely be beta in that case.

Even within the United States, they might have a city in the East and West coast but that's it. This isn't what I originally expected. Like with Google Streetview, it seems like I heard about it, and practically the whole world was viewable from their application. I never really waited for that. But now I know their way of doing it I guess it's okay.

Wouldn't it just be better if they marketed it regionally? Why come out with Flyover now; touting features that many people won't be able to use? Yes the cities might have dense populations; but that's actually a small number compared to the rest of the world, which don't have the feature that you so proudly market to us.

But it isn't too late to turn their backs on Flyover. Because the feature is quite odd to say the least. And don't eat food while you're watching it, because the 3D rendering isn't pretty. It may just make you hurl.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Even within the United States, they might have a city in the East and West coast but that's it.

here's the list of US cities from september of last year, so there could be more now.
the rest of the international cities are listed on this site.
http://www.applegazette.com/iphone/complete-list-of-3d-cities-in-apple-maps/

Albany, NY
Arlington, TX
Atlanta, GA
Austin, TX
Baltimore, MD
Boston, MA
Chicago, IL
Cleveland, OH
Cupertino, CA
Dallas, TX
Denver, CO
Fort Worth, TX
Green Bay, WI
Honolulu, HI
Houston, TX
Indianapolis, IN
Las Vegas, NV
Long Beach, CA
Los Angeles, CA (including suburbs like Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Santa Monica, etc.)
Memphis, TN
Miami, FL
Minneapolis, MN
Modesto, CA
Nashville, TN
New Orleans, LA
New York City, NY (including surrounding neighborhoods like Brooklyn, Bronx, and Jersey City)
Oakland, CA
Philadelphia, PA
Phoenix, AZ
Portland, OR
Providence, RI
Sacramento, CA
Saint Paul, MN
San Diego, CA
San Francisco, CA (including suburbs like Brisbane, Palo Alto, and Stanford)
San Jose, CA
Seattle, WA
Stockton, CA
Tacoma, WA
Tulsa, OK

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Like with Google Streetview, it seems like I heard about it, and practically the whole world was viewable from their application. I never really waited for that.

Goolge Streeview took a long, LONG time to get to where it is now. Just because you were unaware of that process it doesn't mean it happened overnight.

So both Google and Apple have embarked on years-long plans, but because you've only paid attention to one of them, that one's the problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.