Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Will Ferrell's Funny or Die website has made a 60-75 minute movie very loosely based on the life of Steve Jobs, reports The New York Times. The film is by far the longest project for the website, which is famous for its short video clips.

Justin Long will portray Jobs, an interesting casting choice given his role as 'Mac' in the Mac vs. PC ad campaign that Apple ran for a number of years.
"In true Internet fashion, it's not based on very thorough research -- essentially a cursory look at the Steve Jobs Wikipedia page," said Ryan Perez, who wrote and directed "iSteve." "It's very silly. But it looks at his whole life."

Making fun of Mr. Jobs, the Apple co-founder who died in 2011 and who is considered a deity by many people (at least in the tech world), is a risky proposition, even if done gently. But Allison Hord, who produced "iSteve," said the tone was such that "even the harshest fanboy critics will be able to laugh with us."
isteve.jpg
The script for 'iSteve' was written in three days and the movie was filmed in five. The writer and director joked to The Times that "we might not be the best, but we will be the first."

There are two other movies about Steve's life -- perhaps more faithful to the source material -- coming out soon. 'Jobs', starring Ashton Kutcher, and another film based on Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs that is being written by Aaron Sorkin.

Article Link: Funny or Die Releasing 'Very Silly' Steve Jobs Movie Starring Justin Long on April 15

Virtualball

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
I'm not one of those "OMG I LUV STEVEJOBS!" types, but making a movie to "make fun of" a man who died two years ago is really, really insensitive. Not to mention the fact that the joke is that they didn't even research his life before making the "biopic."

I hope it's in good taste.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
This is where the internet excels. Getting a subject treatment before the "big guys" can make distribution happen. Ironically I am looking forward to the satirical/fast version more, probably because I have low expectations that will be hard to violate.

BTW I wish Peace would stop agreeing with me!

Rocketman

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Nice Justin Long. Bite the hand that fed you. Hardly anyone knew or cared who the Eff you were until Apple put your face on commercials and made you famous. :rolleyes:

at&t

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2009
Nice Justin Long. Bite the hand that fed you. Hardly anyone knew or cared who the Eff you were until Apple put your face on commercials and made you famous. :rolleyes:

It should be good. Justin Long has already been in several funny movies.

2012-10-14-jeepers_creepers_long.jpeg

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Well, I will say, the poster image is funny!

(And don't forget to add Pirates of Silicon Valley to the list.)

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012

No-one ever became a megastar because of an Apple ad, and until you actually see the movie, reserve judgment.

Last edited by a moderator:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Sorry - SOME people might recognize Long from those commercials - but I'd hardly say those commercials made him "famous"

And he's an actor. And it sounds like it might have been a fun gig to be involved with. He's no longer (and hasn't been for sometime) Apple's advertising employee.

Relax.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm not one of those "OMG I LUV STEVEJOBS!" types, but making a movie to "make fun of" a man who died two years ago is really, really insensitive. Not to mention the fact that the joke is that they didn't even research his life before making the "biopic."

I hope it's in good taste.

I think it's actually making fun of the other movies. Conceptually. But we'll see.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Now THIS is a Steve Jobs movie that I am actually interested to watch!

The others seem like mere retellings of familiar stories, with nothing new or interesting or insightful about them.

I have high hopes for this one.

Tim Crowley

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
Pleasant Grove, UT
Right now I think that this is going to be a pretty good film, because I always have been a fan of movies that aren't completely professionally done, because they make the best of what they have. I just hope that they don't make fun of his death or anything insensitive like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.