Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's introduction of the Samsung Galaxy S4, Primate Labs has analyzed Geekbench 2 scores for the phone, comparing it to a number of other smartphones including the iPhone 5.

The analysis shows the new Samsung flagship is significantly faster than competing phones including the HTC One, and its predecessor, the Samsung Galaxy S3. However, the S3 also benchmarked faster than the iPhone 5.

skitched-20130318-145500.jpg
From John Poole's analysis:
The Samsung Galaxy S 4 is twice as fast as the Samsung Galaxy S 3. Given that the Samsung Galaxy S 3 is less than a year old, that's a remarkable achievement. I am amazed at how quickly smartphone technology is improving.

The Samsung Galaxy S 4 is also twice as fast as the Apple iPhone 5. Apple has improved performance dramatically in the past (there was 2.5x increase in performance from the iPhone 4S to the iPhone 5). Will they be able to make a similar improvement for the next iPhone?
Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate.

Article Link: Samsung Galaxy S 4 Benchmarks Nearly Twice as Fast as iPhone 5

Maschil

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Mississippi
im an android user but who cares.... it should be faster as it was just released... the iphone 5 is what 7 months old now?

Born Again

macrumors 601
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Amazing

And this is coming from a long time iPhone loyalist!

Apple please don't release an iPhone 5S

We want innovation not iteration !

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
Android is a far less optimised system, it needs the faster CPU to give the same fluid user experience that iOS gives. Don't read too much in to it folks.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
"Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate."

Always look at the bright side of your life. :D:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Android is a far less optimised system, it needs the faster CPU to give the same fluid user experience that iOS gives. Don't read too much in to it folks.

As a developer, I can back this up. I made a web game that ran smoothly on an iPhone 4, averaging about 30fps, great on an iPhone 5 at 60fps, and like crap on the FOUR core Galaxy S3, at about 20fps.

Don't even get me started on the fact that I had to support Android all the way back to 2.3.3, and the Android Browser which has been modified by the various hardware makers (HTC, Samsung, etc) to break a few web standards we needed. I can't wait for the day when the whole world is on a late version of Chrome.

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Please compare the number of cores - The s4 is roughly double the speed of the iPhone5: It only needs double the cores and each core runs 600MHz faster.

Am I the only one loling at this chip-design-fail?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Hopefully it will feel faster than iPhone. Everything android feels slow for some reason. I think no amount of processor power might fix that.

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Wait a minute. Samsung Galaxy phone model from this year is faster than Apple's iPhone from last year?

WOW!

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
H.265 support

I also read that the S4 has support for decoding H.265 video. While this is a brand new codec which is probably not even released yet, if the S4 can stream H.265 and decode in real time, it would be awesome because 1080p streams should take half the bandwidth as H.264.

I wonder when Netflix will support H.265.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Though the iPhone does benchmark somewhat slower than its competitors, Apple's close integration of software and hardware leads to significant performance gains that Android phones can't easily replicate."

Oh, Jordan. The past doesn't always equal the present or future. Since you've never used an S4 - and who has - how can this statement hold any water. Time will tell whether or not this phone "bests" the iPhone with performance gains.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Geekbench 2 is a multithreaded benchmark

Naturally the S IV and HTC One do well, because they have 4 cores. In real world tests you will never see performance that scales up nearly linearly across 4 cores, unless you are running a video rendering farm on your phone. That's why the S IV is only 9-18% faster than last year's iPhone 5 on the Sunspider and Octane benchmarks, and the HTC One is actually slower than the iPhone 5 on those two benchmarks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.