Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Not denying your claim, but all things the equal, technically, how could the text be any sharper? They are the same resolution screen. Just curious. Can you post pictures?

Realise this is an old post and I don't know if the lad has responded, but i noticed what he mentioned also. It appears on the LG panels almost as if there is some sort of gauze style effect on the screen that makes it more difficult to focus on text.

I've had 11" Airs with both the LG and Samsung panels, and switching straight from the LG to the Samsung screen side by side, at least for me, was like taking an eye bath in a glacial pool.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Realise this is an old post and I don't know if the lad has responded, but i noticed what he mentioned also. It appears on the LG panels almost as if there is some sort of gauze style effect on the screen that makes it more difficult to focus on text.

I've had 11" Airs with both the LG and Samsung panels, and switching straight from the LG to the Samsung screen side by side, at least for me, was like taking an eye bath in a glacial pool.

Did you properly calibrate the LG screen?

The LG looked very washed out for me, until I downloaded one of the calibrated profiles released here and switched. HUGE difference..

Zoraka

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2011
Does anyone found/have a good profile for the LSN133BT01A02?

The Profiles for the LT screens (also samsung) don't really fit my screen.

enzoHK

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2012
Finally, Samsung!

Just curious. Is it possible, 2011 version Samsung is much better than 2012's one? Is this because of Samsung-Apple case?

Hi, just checking in. Finally managed to get a Samsung MBA (128Gig, i7) with LSN133BT01A02 today (apple store HK, IFC). Looks great, none of the yellowing issues as before with the LG, straight out of the box. Compared to my MBA 2011 (256, i7, LTH133BT01A03), it looks actually better, but very similar (color seems more differentiated, and overall seems a bit sharper, better gradients (ie in the menu bars)).

It could still use a tiny bit more contrast but it's far better-looking (in my opinion as well as the apple store employees) than the LG ones. I might fiddle with color profiles a bit but for now I'm back to being a happy camper:)

Now how do I convince my GF to take my old one and hand me the new one, lol...

For what it's worth, just my two cents. I guess graphics-related professionals will notice easily, regular users probably not so much. Side by side it's unmistakeable though and the previous corrections I had done with profiles managed to increase contrast, but burned out other areas and so on (tried a lot of them from here and anandtech).

I can only suspect apple might be using LG to handle excess orders, or Samsung is messing a little with apple via supply-chain-shenanigans.

Anyways, good luck!

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Pardon me if this has been answered - reading 30 pages on my LG screen isn't the funnest ;):p but will the Apple store swap out a MBA if you are not happy with the LG screen, to get a Samsung?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Pardon me if this has been answered - reading 30 pages on my LG screen isn't the funnest ;):p but will the Apple store swap out a MBA if you are not happy with the LG screen, to get a Samsung?
No...you need to show there is a mechanical problem with the display. IE Image retention, viewable color innacuracies etc.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
No...you need to show there is a mechanical problem with the display. IE Image retention, viewable color innacuracies etc.

Well, I happen to have a 2011 Macbook Air with Samsung LCD as well and the difference is quite noticeable. If I brought both in and presented my case, would that do it?

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Well, I happen to have a 2011 Macbook Air with Samsung LCD as well and the difference is quite noticeable. If I brought both in and presented my case, would that do it?

It all depends on the person you get. If you get a rule-stickler then no. But if you get someone who looks and sees the difference, they might come around. What are the differences?

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Got a Samsung LCD on my Air and my friend's Air has an LG display. HUGE difference.

Is it properly calibrated? I had the LG on my air, I thought it was horrendous and washed out, then found a color profile online and it looked incredible afterwards.

If the problem is washed out, bad whites - search through the forums and find the custom profile. The LG is a good screen, it's just not optimized, and nothing beats the optimized profile released on here..

MBA13MBA13

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
My case: LG & Samsung the same

Background: I'm a particularly picky, neurotic person. Some time ago when someone at Apple annoyed me (long story) I called in to customer service and got them to give them the newest iTouch with the most memory for free as an apology and to keep me as a customer. I am the most annoying customer because any real or perceived imperfection will result in me returning your product and if you annoy me in any way I will also end up getting something for free.

Trip to store: So, somehow I stumbled upon this forum and found out that I had an LG screen with a Toshiba SDD. Okay, time for a trip to the Apple store! I am within my 14 days of purchase so this was going to be a breeze of a return (though mind you, had I not been I would have made it happen anyway). Before going to the store I looked at my screen and thought, "this looks really great, I can't wait to see what the Samsung looks like if this is 'dull' and everyone says the letters aren't crisp." I get to the store and the display screen looks amazing--of course this has to be a Samsung screen. I check and it IS a Samsung screen (Toshiba SDD though)! Time to pull out my computer and see the huge difference!

No difference. They looked the same. I compared the pink lotus background. I compared the cosmos background. I compared Word, I compared Notes. I compared every different type of file I could think of in every brightness level and in different types of ambient light and there wasn't a difference. I'm in my 20s and have 20/15 vision ("better" than 20/20) and will notice the most minute differences to the point that I drive others crazy but I couldn't say the Samsung display was better! I wasn't even trying to convince myself that my computer was fine, I was ready to return and get another one without issue, but there just wasn't a point.

So, does that mean Samsung isn't better than LG? Who knows. Maybe I have one of the "good" LG screens, maybe some of you who have labeled LG bad have gotten "bad" LG screens. Maybe Samsung is consistently good and LG is a mixed bag. I don't know. All I know is in my particular case there wasn't the slightest difference. So, if you're in doubt just take your laptop to the store, compare, decide what step to take--I'm keeping my perfect LG screen laptop.

Note: I used the display settings provided by OSXDaily.com. I tried the Samsung screen in other display options and it can easily be made to look flat, dull, etc.. If there's any issue it seems to be settings driven and not inherent quality by brand.

Last edited:

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
Just posted this in another thread, but thought it was useful here too...

Note it is a direct comparison between the three screens for 11" airs only

So I went to the regent street apple store yesterday to check out the airs on display there, and after checking display models, found they had a LG, Samsung and (the other) screened airs all on display.

So I put them all in a line and here are my thoughts...

LG: Absolutely abysmal for contrast, so really not great for reading, also colour balance seemed to be slightly greenish, which I dislike. BUT the colour of the apps etc themselves were quite natural, and the screen was brighter.

Samsung: Fantastic for contrast, much easier to read from and just felt sharper all round. BUT it almost seemed to have too much contrast, so with the space desktop background, the screen seemed particularly dark. In addition, the screen seemed unnaturally warm, so that colours were overly yellow (as a photoshop user, it was like when you push contrast to a point where it is unnatural).

(other screen): Sorry but not sure of the manufaturer of this one, but it seemed to sit inbetween the other two. Basically a bit more contrast than the LG (enough to make a decent difference for reading), and a more natural, less dark appearance than the samsung. BUT it did seem to have a slight pink hue, again leading some sites (notably macrumors) to look a little odd.

Wildcard comparison...

I then took a look at the rmbp 13" and the screen was not only nice and contrasty but the olours were also natural.

Now I'm really confused!

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I had my Macbook Air's screen replaced this past week because of a bright spot. It originally had the Samsung screen, which I considered quite good and after reading this thread I felt quite lucky, and now they replaced it with a LG screen.

To be honest, I couldn't tell until I did the Terminal thing. i couldn't believe that it was an LG and that it was also as good as the Samsung, but it was. Then I downloaded the Macrumors profile and now I even think that this screen is better than the Samsung it had originally.

I'm really happy with the quality of the screen, the colors seem more realistic. Text is as sharp as it was with the other one, the LG seems to have better whites and with the Macrumors profile the contrast seems better also.

The only thing that I noticed that would favor the Samsung screen is that the brightness was higher on it, I would keep it at -3 bars and now with the LG I have to keep it at full bars to see the same brightness. But at -3 bars the LG is perfectly usable, its just a matter of personal taste.

So, I don't think there's a big quality gap between the two screens. Sure, maybe someone else would notice things on the LG that I didn't noticed but again... personal taste. I'm happy with it, but I was also happy with the Samsung.

lulubelleC

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Need icc profile

These are the LG and Samsung profiles that my Spyder 4 created for my family's macbooks. I hope that they help someone. Let me know what you think.

Hi, I tried to download the profiles in your link, but they aren't working. It just shows up as a data file that won't open. Can you upload the LG icc profile that you say matches the Samsung screen? I've tried the MacRumors one which is great improvement, but it still has a yellowish tint to it. Need to find something else.

Thanks
LuAnne

----------

Is it properly calibrated? I had the LG on my air, I thought it was horrendous and washed out, then found a color profile online and it looked incredible afterwards.

If the problem is washed out, bad whites - search through the forums and find the custom profile. The LG is a good screen, it's just not optimized, and nothing beats the optimized profile released on here..

Can you upload the profile that worked for you, please?

Thanks

johnjey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
Northern CA
OK campers - we are back to this...Just got my new 2012 Macbook Air 11" i7 256GB SSD/8GB RAM

I knew immediately that the LCD was a bit flat (or less contrast) as well as some blacks appeared more blue. After checking, I found that my new 2012 Macbook Air has a LG screen. I compared it to my Mid-2011 Macbook Air i7 (which has a Samsung LCD) and the 2011 had more contrast, etc.

Not that the LG screens are bad or anything, it is I am just use to the Samsung screen I have in my 2011 and do not want to go through the calibrations. Personal choice, Just like the Samsung better.

You can see what your LCD manufacturer is by doing the following:

Launch the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/)
Copy and paste the following command onto a single line and hit return:

ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Read the output, you are looking for an “LP” prefix to numbers reported back:
LP133WP1-TJA3
Color LCD

If the prefix is not “LP” then you have a Samsung display and there’s no need to use the color profile or to follow the rest of the instructions, if it does start with LP (like the example shown), then proceed

Is mine SAMSUNG ???

This is what it shows: B116XW05 V7
Color LCD

----------

I bought an 11' 2013 i5/8GB/512 SSD

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Just got screwed by Apple! :(
There was a dead pixel on my Samsung lcd (macbook air 13" 2012) and the warranty was running out within 30days so I decided to get it repaired/changed. Finally when I got back my Air, they swtiched the samsung with the LG!!!! Noo. For someone who is a graphics freak, I had adored that beautiful contrast/color of Samsung LCD and then to this washed out LG is such an AWFUL experience. Currently on the macrumor color profile but its slightly too dark for me, even though I tried expert mode - I can never get it right myself.

I think I am gonna sell this one soon and grab a rMBP 13" once haswell arrives.

Would Apple change my screen? or offer a replacement as I had a samsung display before??

Last edited:

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Man that sucks. Apple is not going to exchange the screen or offer a replacement.

Just got screwed by Apple! :(
There was a dead pixel on my Samsung lcd (macbook air 13" 2012) and the warranty was running out within 30days so I decided to get it repaired/changed. Finally when I got back my Air, they swtiched the samsung with the LG!!!! Noo. For someone who is a graphics freak, I had adored that beautiful contrast/color of Samsung LCD and then to this washed out LG is such an AWFUL experience. Currently on the macrumor color profile but its slightly too dark for me, even though I tried expert mode - I can never get it right myself.

I think I am gonna sell this one soon and grab a rMBP 13" once haswell arrives.

Would Apple change my screen? or offer a replacement as I had a samsung display before??

munakib

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2011
Man that sucks. Apple is not going to exchange the screen or offer a replacement.

Its a miracle! I took back my macbook to the apple store, I showed the issues I had due to the lack of contrast of the "lg" screen and showed how the horizontal pixel lines were visible (maybe the lg screen they gave me first time was the worst one in their stock), I was extremely polite and I think only for that single reason, the genius decided to take it up to his lead genius who was also kind enough to give me one last option to change the screen and made it clear they wont do it again for such a case. They were also very smart not to differentiate between the screens, they always referred them as "different manufacturers who meet apple's standards." In any case, I managed to get a request note on my reference sheet that I would prefer a "Samsung Display" as that is the screen I originally had on my macbook.

Two days later, today, I just got my macbook air back with a samsung display! Woah! Fantastic....I love the screen now.

Last edited:

sheunghko

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2013
i got LTH116AT01A04 (wtf 3 years old monitor? ) on the new 2013 macbook air 11"

there is no washout no yellow tint but kinda red tint (most noticeable on gary area such as the top bar) and darker in compare....:mad:

i original got the LG one

i went to apple store for replacement they open another macbook have me pick one of them and bring home. along side with the samsung one (which i took it home) the LG one which has a little bit washout and little bit yellow tint but the color on the LG actually better and brightness are noticeable brighter over all look more natural.....overall everything is better then the samsung screen... expect the yellow tint which i don't believe it will be gone overtime.

The samsung screen look red tint compare to LG (maybe because the brightness aren't good as the LG one) but there is no washout.... its hard to pick between the two when they are right in front of you. ::( now that i bought the samsung home becoz i don't like seeing yellow tint but then I'm not happy with the brightness level now i have to use like 4 block more than i am on a LG which suck out my battery faster.

anyway these are my experience to share. from hong kong :apple:

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.