Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Anybody got it/started playing it? I'm still debating. I don't get into the multiplayer at all but am considering it for the single player portion.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I bought it anyway without reading the reviews which is unusual for me.

I suspect the dialogue will be simple, along the lines of

"You will...die..."
"Blah blah...prophecy"

The story IMO is beyond repair, SC1 story was so much better but now it and its characters have been ruined.

I think the missions will still be fun but I hope the missions involve a bit more exploration. Too many of the WoL levels had you trapped in one location with the rest of the map conviently revealed. I like the idea of giving kerrigan more powers and evolving the zerg as they go along though.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I picked up my copy today- I'm loving the campaign so far. In multiplayer so far the Swarm Hosts have given me a couple of seriously epic wins, in other games I've been absolutely destroyed by Skytoss- I've no doubt they're going to get nerfed, Zerg has nothing to counter a massive Protoss sky fleet at the moment.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I'm 5 missions in on brutal difficulty. The story is crap and full of facepalm moments and plot holes as expected, but the missions are fun, as expected. Basically, if you liked Wings of liberty for it's fun gameplay and didn't mind the story sucking, you will feel the same way about Heart of the swarm.

And, of course: There is always countless hour to be spent grinding the ladder.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'am getting mine tomorrow, there are so many great strategy games coming for Mac like Total war Napoleon and Sim City my pockets are going to run dry this and next month .

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Collectors edition arrived yesterady monring,. havent lsept since, zerglings everywhere, screen filled with hypnotic undulations of hundredds of units swarming in unison, like watching fire ants eat an elephant.

i must be the only person who has never played SC2 multiplayer, i play the campaign, and thats it , i just want the story and the awsome cinimatics (Blizzard stop making games and just make a Starcraft TV series or movies, same for Diablo)

Renzatic

Suspended
I suspect the dialogue will be simple, along the lines of

"You will...die..."
"Blah blah...prophecy"

SCII was alright, but not good enough for me to consider paying Blizzard $150 for the entire series. $70 for the first game was enough. I think I'll grab this long after the Protoss expansion is out, and I can get all three games in a Starcraft II War Chest Bundle or something.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
... I think I'll grab this long after the Protoss expansion is out, and I can get all three games in a Starcraft II War Chest Bundle or something.

Yeah, but by then Apple will discontinue the intel support layer in the OS, rendering all copies of Starcraft II and its expansions unplayable on any Mac. On the bright side, Diablo III won't work anymore, either.

Renzatic

Suspended
Yeah, but by then Apple will discontinue the intel support layer in the OS, rendering all copies of Starcraft II and its expansions unplayable on any Mac. On the bright side, Diablo III won't work anymore, either.

Eh. I doubt Apple is going to cut x86 support any time soon. I bet it'll be around for at least another decade. You're stuck with Diablo III for at least that long. :p

Also, I do most of my gaming on Windows. We all know MS likes to keep 200 years worth of backwards compatibility with their software around, so even if Apple does do something stupid, I'll still be able to play it.

Last edited:

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Eh. I doubt Apple is going to cut x86 support any time soon. I bet it'll be around for at least another decade. You're stuck with Diablo III for at least that long. :p

Also, I do most of my gaming on Windows. We all know MS likes to keep 200 years worth of backwards compatibility with their software around, so even if Apple does do something stupid, I'll still be able to play it.

When I took the jump to Mac about 3 years ago, I was leaving about 18 years of Windows/DOS behind, and I liked what I saw. Since then, a number of questionable decisions by Apple have rooted me back in reality, and I couldn't agree with you more: If you want to game (or use Quicken), use Windows.

Sigh . . . :eek:

Renzatic

Suspended
When I took the jump to Mac about 3 years ago, I was leaving about 18 years of Windows/DOS behind, and I liked what I saw. Since then, a number of questionable decisions by Apple have rooted me back in reality, and I couldn't agree with you more: If you want to game (or use Quicken), use Windows.

Sigh . . . :eek:

And here I am toying with the idea of getting a new iMac as my main computer.

It's like every single thing Apple does, there's always one great part, and one terrible part. While I like their build quality, and have a slight preference towards OSX over Windows, I always feel like I'd be compromising something big by making the switch full time.

Like I get the new iMac. It's great. Small form factor. A decent amount of power. Space saved on my desk. Lots of good points.

But I can't switch out my harddrive. If it goes down, instead of spending 20 minutes swapping it out for another, I have to end up shipping it off to Apple HQ for a couple of days to get it replaced. That sucks. I could offset this by getting a Thunderbolt enclosure and running OSX off an external drive without any sacrifices in speed, but TB stuff is about 3x overpriced at the moment. I'd be spending a bundle of cash to match equivalency with the PC scene.

To me, there's always a "It's great, except..." moment with a Mac.

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
Playing through the early missions so far. Its quite enjoyable but as I suspected the story for now has turned into a love story...

...a story where Raynor once said that he would kill Kerrigan for the death of Fenix and for the countless innocents slain during her mad quest for power.

I have noticed that the blood, physics and death animations are more exuberant than they were previously and as a result my Mac slows down more often with this game compared to WoL. I removed my Apple 5770 and have a PC 5870 remaining yet there is little difference in performance...perhaps because its a PC card.

Tempted to see what happens if I install this in Windows...

Wardenski

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2012
I am running 10.6.8 and I get major framerate issues in some scenes, especially the ones on Char with the nukes. Get 0 frames per second sometimes when they drop. Lots of resource stalls. As mentioned, this is with PC 5870, Mac Pro 3.1.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
its pretty awesome,

yeah the story had some plot holes, but it was 'satisfying' so im ok with it.

but the sode missions (dont want to say much to spoil) were real neat, they did a much better job with the campaign this version, it kept me more interesting than the first one, rather than just a grind of similar type of missions or those 'annoying' missions.

the story does have it plot holes and wth moments, but you can live with it.

in the first SC2 there was a real problem with the 'custom game/arcade' multiplayer,

it was horrible, there was no open games list, and you end up playing the same crap thats always on the 'top' charts.

they fixed it like a 6-8 months ago, no where near WCIII status yet (in terms of variety of maps and quality and quantity), but it'll get there.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I just finished the campaign, I loved it. Great job Blizzard. The only thing I'm not happy about is that we're going to have to wait another 2 1/2 to 3 years for Legacy of the Void.

davidwes

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2004
I have the new Macbook Air 13' and it really pushes the cpu heat up!!!

I had every graphic detail to the lowest possible setting and was still getting over 100 in temp.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
I have the new Macbook Air 13' and it really pushes the cpu heat up!!!

I had every graphic detail to the lowest possible setting and was still getting over 100 in temp.

How's your framerate?

I've been thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how it would run (at 1080p).

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
How's your framerate?

I've been thinking of getting it but I'm not sure how it would run (at 1080p).

Try the Starter Edition. Download the client from Blizzard and see how it runs.

To those who have the game- who loves Abathur? Steve Blum's voice is amazing.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
The story IMO is beyond repair, SC1 story was so much better but now it and its characters have been ruined.

Because it now reads like a really bad Japanese manga story. :D

"And hence did the Great Archon of the Terran Conblaberation Devonariel Mengistutu III, Crown Prince of the Regency, did impregnate the Zerg queen Plithsquiskkkshikki (aka Nancy Grace.) Thus was set into motion the catastrophic Wars of the Triple Alliance. Billions died."

Mapringg

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
What fps are you guys getting?
I am having trouble playing it with constant 80 fps on macbook retina
Is this normal?

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
What fps are you guys getting?
I am having trouble playing it with constant 80 fps on macbook retina
Is this normal?
Uhm, 80 fps is really good, as long as it stays over 30 it should be a very fluid experience.

pseudoghost

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
I've been playing on a retina, on ultra getting 26+ FPS 2880x1800 (max res.)

Ultra on 28x18 with 30 - 50 FPS seems pretty normal to me, depending on the # of units on screen. On 19x12 (which looks really good) I'm getting consistently over 50 FPS in Nexus Wars, which is really a fair stress test as there can be thousands of units at once.

Overall, the rMBP is a beast.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Does anyone else wish you could have Abathur as your advisor voice in multiplayer instead of the Brood Mother? It'd be so much better hearing him than what we have now, I.e. the screechy "WE REQUIIIOOOORRE MORRRE VESSSSPENE GASSSSSS". Hearing him say "Evolution Complete" in the campaign just sounded so right.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Does anyone else wish you could have Abathur as your advisor voice in multiplayer instead of the Brood Mother? It'd be so much better hearing him than what we have now, I.e. the screechy "WE REQUIIIOOOORRE MORRRE VESSSSPENE GASSSSSS". Hearing him say "Evolution Complete" in the campaign just sounded so right.

Just like the over mind in the original ;) sweet thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.