Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
Hi,
i've created a shared folder on Mac OS X Server.
I'm the admin of Server.
I've enabled me and other users to read/write in that shared folder.

Now subfolders (and files) created by other users under that main shared folder are READ-ONLY to me (and only to me) while all the other local network users can read and WRITE those subfolders/files.

Why ???

The odd is that if i click on these items (folders/files) the owner is ... me !!!

Any hints ?
Thanks

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
Hi,
I'm the admin of Server.

Now subfolders (and files) created by other users under that main shared folder are READ-ONLY to me (and only to me) while all the other local network users can read and WRITE those subfolders/files.

Why ???

The odd is that if i click on these items (folders/files) the owner is ... me !!!

Any hints ?
Thanks

There's two levels of security when playing around with shares and shared folders in a mac/linux/unix environment.

1. The share itself, a user or group can have no access, user or group based read or read and write.
2. The folder also has it's own security based on the standard user/group/world permissions.

It's been this way for a long time, I was playing around with Samba on unix literally decades ago.

I suspect one or the other hasn't been set-up correctly (from a permissions perspective).

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
It is fairly well known that Mt Lion server is a pain in the ass.
Nothing works the way it should.
If possible, go back to Leopard server and make your life trouble free.
-
If not - keep plodding along ...
you will get sorted out sooner or later.
-
My Leopard Server - I installed once and never looked back.
My Mt Lion Server - I have installed no less than five times
and it finally works so we can use it - but it is no picnic keeping it running properly.

MSD

Hi,
I'm the admin of Server.

Why ???

Any hints ?
Thanks

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2006
I've partially solved using Access Control Lists.
The odd is that i've to create another me (!) user and give it the whole permission.
But not i've as said 2 me user one with disclosure triangle (as other user) and the (old) one with no disclosure triangle ... and don't know how to delete that old user.
I've also tried to assign the owner of the shared folder to other user but lion server creates always the owner with no disclosure triangle (visible within Access Control List).
Any hints, a part of install Leopard Server ?

PrePressAcrobat

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2010
I've partially solved using Access Control Lists.
The odd is that i've to create another me (!) user and give it the whole permission.
But not i've as said 2 me user one with disclosure triangle (as other user) and the (old) one with no disclosure triangle ... and don't know how to delete that old user.
I've also tried to assign the owner of the shared folder to other user but lion server creates always the owner with no disclosure triangle (visible within Access Control List).
Any hints, a part of install Leopard Server ?

-----
As I recall, on of my steps was to put each user in a Group with Administrator privileges.
Then set folders as shares and applying to all contained items.

MSD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.