Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

Why isn't 802.11ac Wi-Fi likely? Galaxy S4 has it, HTC One has it, all the top new phones this year will have it.

Is there a specific reason why the iPhone 5S wont?

Also no 13MP camera? Why wouldn't Apple add it? They're obviously going to increase the aperture, add all new optics, new software, etc.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Why isn't 802.11ac Wi-Fi likely? Galaxy S4 has it, HTC One has it, all the top new phones this year will have it.
Is there a specific reason why the iPhone 5S wont?

Historical reasons. They were slow to support N and then dual-band N. They also have a history of having chipsets that support things that aren't actually enabled on the device (T-mobile 3/4G bands with Qualcomm radio). They also have no other products that support it.

Also no 13MP camera? Why wouldn't Apple add it? They're obviously going to increase the aperture, add all new optics, new software, etc.

I think Apple has a commitment to optics quality, f-stop and pixel size, similar to the way the HTC One is going with 'Ultrapixels.' I expect them to make changes that make the images better and improve lowlight performance. Increasing the megapixel count alone does neither.

John Adams

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2012
Fort Worth, TX USA
Apple: One-Phone-Fits-All. You want choice, buy from someone else...

Apple need to get over this silly one-phone-fits-all mentality and offer a few different phones for different people who have different needs. Apple has lost MILLIONS and MILLIONS of sales to Samsung because MILLIONS of people want a BIGGER phone.

My prediction for the next iPhone.... same as the last iPhone... minor updates that could have easily been incorporated in the last iPhone but Apple wanted to save it for the next iPhone. And yes, stretching the display a measly 1/2" was a minor update.

I love my I5, but IOS is getting old and stale.

----------

Realistically we can only expect these specs for iPhone 5S

A7 chip
LTE world phone
802.11ac Wi-Fi
13MP iSight camera
iOS 7
More color options

Why even bother? But millions of idiots who have the 5 will feel the need to give Apple another $800 for that.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
With the iphone 5, I haven't noticed any lag. The 5S would have to be pretty compelling to want to upgrade but I'm not seeing it right now especially with no upgrade pricing for me.

That's exactly how I feel.

I think the iPhone 5 is still top of its game, despite the newest Samsung.

vampyren

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2008
We are slowly ditching apple products, computers are now windows machines, still using ipads, will be switching to Galaxy S4 shortly. Apple just stopped innovating :( A two year cycle on the iphone??? Should be a 6 month cycle...

I think there will always be a group of people who are satisfied with the existing model and simplistic UI (old people comes to mind like my parents).

But for people who were amazed by the iPhone 3 years ago or so its becoming more and more frustrating that you still cant do very basic things.
That is why Android is appealing for me atleast.
Now on the computer side i actually prefer OSX and Macs since its so much cleaner and i get all the drivers in one package, they are little more expensive but you also get more value and also future OS upgrade are much cheaper.
I'm actually getting a Mini for my media center next month i think.

Hephaestus

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
If the next iPhone isn't a big jump, I will finally make the move from iOS to Android. The HTC One is just too good to miss for Apple. What I want from the next iPhone:

- 4.5" - 4.7" screen.
- 2GB RAM
- 1080p screen. I'm no longer buying this "retina" nonsense. Other screens are far better.
- Completely redesigned OS.
- 32GB base memory. 16GB for £520 is DISGRACEFUL.

Unfortunately, what I suspect is:

- Same design
- Mostly same specs
- 1mm thinner
- Somehow the engineers "figured out a way" to make it WAY Faster. :eek:
- A magical and amazing device that even though it lacks behind the competition, it is still insanely awesome and magical because Apple said it is. This will make me content inside... yes that was sarcasm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.