Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Ok so I was looking at craigslist for a mini dv camera and found this canon gl2 for $300 in good shape and was wondering if I should buy it,

kevinfulton.ca

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2011
Ok so I was looking at craigslist for a mini dv camera and found this canon gl2 for $300 in good shape and was wondering if I should buy it,

While it was considered a pro level camcorder at the time with all of its pro-level connections (it was an excellent documentary or sports cam) it's important to keep in mind that, not only is it a standard definition camcorder, but it also has a 4:3 aspect ratio. Sure you could crop it, but you'll miss out on a ton of resolution. Personally, I'd throw out a low ball price of $100.00 and see what happens. I wouldn't spend $300 on a 10 year old standard definition camera. It's way too close to the end of its life. $150 would be my limit, but I would still have a tough time committing.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008

Is there a reason you want a mini dv camera?

Even a basic HD camera will give you a much better picture and you dont have to spend money on tape.

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK

The ease of using solid state vs tape acquisition, far outweighs the 'bargain' price of $300. The difference in quality of HD vs SD is also absolutely worth budgeting for a slightly more expensive full HD solid state camera.

I used SD DV cameras for years... please, trust me on this.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
Is there a reason you want a mini dv camera?

Even a basic HD camera will give you a much better picture and you dont have to spend money on tape.

Because I film Special Ocasions and such and This way I can Charge a premium to use my hd cameras. And A Standard For low deff

MIDI_EVIL

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2006
UK
Because I film Special Ocasions and such and This way I can Charge a premium to use my hd cameras. And A Standard For low deff

As a professional, should you really be offering SD these days...?

HD is extremely manageable, that should be your standard.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
As a professional, should you really be offering SD these days...?

HD is extremely manageable, that should be your standard.

It sorta sounded like good idea to begin with, but now that I think about it

What the hell was I thinking :eek:, oh well may as well find a use for them other than pissing off a bridezilla that the quality isn't good enough to see her uncle Charlie Doing yager bombs in the background while they say I do :rolleyes:

May as well just use the cameras for my short film I've got coming up though

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
It sorta sounded like good idea to begin with, but now that I think about it

What the hell was I thinking :eek:, oh well may as well find a use for them other than pissing off a bridezilla that the quality isn't good enough to see her uncle Charlie Doing yager bombs in the background while they say I do :rolleyes:

May as well just use the cameras for my short film I've got coming up though

Charge for what they want and get the gear to deliver the top of the line product you want to offer.

If someone doesnt care about HD charge a little less and give them a DVD. If they want an HD package charge more and deliver on both Blu-Ray and DVD.

Its no extra work on your end and you only need 1 set of gear.

mattocks

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
GL2 Worth at least 300-400.00 !

"Personally, I'd throw out a low ball price of $100.00 and see what happens."

I own one of these. Has been a great cam for a long time. I wouldn't part with it for less than $300.00 !

Yes the technology that has evolved is much greater, solid state is awesome and is easier than waiting for real time capture. I agree with that.

I found this thread as I was considering selling mine for some upgrade money. Ebay seems to be getting between 350+ depending on the accessories it comes with.

I may end up keeping it as a back up cam or use as a really awesome web cam ( yes if your computer has a firewire port you can do this and have awesome clarity and resolution for doing webstreams. I Know HD is the cats meow but when it comes to web streaming HD can be expensive and not a reliable experience for some end users that don't have the right bandwidth requirement. )

$300.00 is fair on the lowest end but it really depends on your application.

good news is the batteries are cheap on ebay and 1 charge can last you almost all day.

Most people don't realize the difference. HD is where the money is but if this is what you can afford you can still make a decent product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.