Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yourashero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
My new 2012 iMac doesn't recognize my old time machine backups. I did the migration assistant from the setup, but then it said my hard drive didn't have enough space. I was using 675GB of 1TB and it was an additional 675gb to back up the data and said that I only had like 188gb left.

I then got a new 2TB drive and transferred the data to the new drive using this method http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5096

It wanted to back up the 675gb of data even after the transfer.

Now the kicker is that I can't even access my old data through time machine or finder.

Anyone have any ideas?

yourashero

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Well after a long time with tech support, its bad news. Apparently the migration from my late 09 to my late '12 imac corrupted by time machine backup. Its now unreadable by either of the computers. I was on SL and of course went to ML

Anyone attempting this should try to copy their time machine beforehand just incase.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
So you TM backup is hosed? However, a backup is a duplicate copy, so you still have the original data on the old iMac?

You should be able to Migrate your data directly from your old iMac to your new one.
Then start a new backup volume on your new external drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.