Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Question: Can I reset my phone straight from the phone without having to update to 6.1.3?

What happens when I try itunes
Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone “Hi's iPhone” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed.

Dont want 6.1.3...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
You can reset networking settings, but if you reset all from the phone (if it's jailbroken) you will have to restore and since 6.1.2 isn't being signed anymore/won't be soon enough you'll be forced on the latest.

IF you're on stock 6.1.2 or another version, reset all all you'd like.

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Question: Can I reset my phone straight from the phone without having to update to 6.1.3?

What happens when I try itunes

Dont want 6.1.3...

Don't erase and reset settings. Pretty sure your jailbreak will be gone and nobody is certain they are still signing 6.1.2.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Normally when a new software version is out, there is a very narrow window of time where the old is being signed alongside the new version. When 6.1.2 came out, I could sign 6.1 thirty minutes later but I had to try a handful of times and mostly got an error message. Can't hurt to try.

tygrubb

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I haven't jailbreaked for a long time, but I had read this, and assumed you could still backup SHSH blobs?

http://www.iphonefaq.org/archives/972397

That's the olden days that are sadly no more. Apple changed things in iOS5 and iOS6. The Dev Team just recently made a post with an update to redsn0w to enable crossgrading versions of iOS5 and iOS6 on certain older devices, but it still is not possible on newer devices.

When and if they do find a way, it will utilitize SHSH blogs so it's still a good idea to save them anyway. For now, though, we are at the mercies of the signing window.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
A5+ devices are not eligible for re-restore.

The exception possibly being 4.3.3 if you had blobs saved for that on iPad2.

But who cares about that?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
So if they still are signing 6.1.2.. I should restore on my PHONE, then re jailbreak.. versus restoring via macbook?

I'm ON 6.1.2 now, can I just wipe my device and then rejailbreak it?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i can't imagine giving up my tweaks, fixes, improvements, etc for an incremental update. will be happy until iOS 6, and then, i guess, the cycle will repeat (hopefully). new device/os, untethered JB, revised tweaks...etc. etc...:rolleyes: :cool:

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
So if they still are signing 6.1.2.. I should restore on my PHONE, then re jailbreak.. versus restoring via macbook?

I'm ON 6.1.2 now, can I just wipe my device and then rejailbreak it?

If you are currently jailbroken then you cannot simply wipe your device. You will have to restore it via your PC by selecting 6.1.2 as your firmware and then re-jailbreak (granted that you were able to restore to 6.1.2).

BumpyFlatline

macrumors 68030
Apr 11, 2012
MuscleNerd just tweeted that Apple gave credit to the evaders for 4 of the 6 security fixes. Does that mean Apple fixed 4 exploits? Originally it was reported to fix only one exploit. Any have confirmation?

Kaiser99

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
Or does it mean they have closed 4 used and 2 new ones the evaders were keeping for the next JB if so we might have more of a wait next time gutted

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
MuscleNerd just tweeted that Apple gave credit to the evaders for 4 of the 6 security fixes. Does that mean Apple fixed 4 exploits? Originally it was reported to fix only one exploit. Any have confirmation?

In the same tweet, he posted a link to a mailing list email and in there it says that Apple did fix those 4 exploits. So, it will be either a while before we see a jailbreak for 6.1.3 or never for 6.1.3.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World

That's the olden days that are sadly no more. Apple changed things in iOS5 and iOS6. The Dev Team just recently made a post with an update to redsn0w to enable crossgrading versions of iOS5 and iOS6 on certain older devices, but it still is not possible on newer devices.

When and if they do find a way, it will utilitize SHSH blogs so it's still a good idea to save them anyway. For now, though, we are at the mercies of the signing window.

You can still backup SHSH blobs but they are no good for A5+ devices yet.

A5+ devices are not eligible for re-restore.

The exception possibly being 4.3.3 if you had blobs saved for that on iPad2.

But who cares about that?

5.X can downgrade or re-restore also for A5 devices

Only no downgrade or re-restore on 6.x for A5 devices and above.

This was the same initially on 5.x until the devs found a new way to downgrade/re-restore.

So DO SAVE YOUR SHSH for future downgrade possibility. Saving SHSH's is possible as long as Apple is signing a particular firmware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.