Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TooLowToZero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hi, I have a iPad 4 & iPhone 5. I am unable to pair both together for some reason! Both have Bluetooth switched on and both searching, but won't find each other. They are searching but never find each unit, even side by side? Am I missing something? I have downloaded an App to transfer pictures and would like to get it working. Both search for ever, with no luck.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I have no problem making a connection (iPhone 4, original iPad) with the app I use (PhotoShare). The trick is, you have to connect using the in-app process, and the app has to be on screen on both devices. As soon as you switch out of the app, the connection is broken. I believe that's a "feature" of the PAN (Personal Area Network) Bluetooth profile, or at least Apple's implementation - seems like a good security practice (no connections left open accidentally or surreptitiously).

If you leave the app open on one device and you go to Settings > General > Bluetooth on the other, you will not see your other iOS device listed. This is expected behavior. The way I look at it is, it's the programs that are pairing over an established network, not the iOS device per se.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.