Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
Has there every been any issues with the latest model of the iMac?

What I am trying to ask is, is it a good idea to wait a few months before buying (if I'm not in a rush) a new model since there good be issues with it?

mbpmpb17

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2010
If there is a problem, how long should I wait for a fix for it? And when you purchase a new one, how can you tell if that exact iMac is the latest version and not one that may have a 'defect' in it?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
If there is a problem, how long should I wait for a fix for it? And when you purchase a new one, how can you tell if that exact iMac is the latest version and not one that may have a 'defect' in it?

There's no such thing. It will be a new one and there are no defects that are going to be fixed.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Has there every been any issues with the latest model of the iMac?

A better question would be "has there ever not been any issues with the latest model of the iMac?" There are always issues that affect at least some people with any model of iMac.

That said, there does seem to be more issues with any major redesign. The latest has had some very obvious production problems but has it really affected the delivered units? Time will tell.

I bought my iMac from the first batch produced of the last major design revision, when the 27" models first came out. The forum was packed with posts from people who were exchanging unit after unit to get one that was "good" but IMHO some people expect perfection and that will never occur. Mine wasn't perfect but it's still running just fine!

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
The 2 biggest issues I know of are:

Image Retention - the image kind of burning onto the screen after a while, like the menu-bar and such.

Fan issues

Everything else I've heard appears to be just bad luck that any item can have: rattling sound from something not screwed in properly, etc.

Personally I've had bad luck with new revisions. I had some annoying issues with my MacBook Pro that tooks years to resolve. And I returned a previous redesigned-iMac (2009?) due to horrible flickering.

So I might wait until a minor change or until they get something worked out.

iamgalactic

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Pre-ordered maxed 27" on first day available and received mid December. Machine perfect, no issues- like many have experienced on this forum.

If you have problems, get your machine replaced - that's one of the reasons why you pay Apple's premium. Buy what you need when you need it.

Kelsmom18

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
North Carolina
I have had my 27" late 2012 iMac since January and have had no issues whatsoever. It is a fantastic machine with many capabilities. Absolutely no regrets.

Go for it now!! Why wait? :)

highlightshadow

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
The speaker quality is pretty poor ... significant step back from my 2009 to the point i had to buy external speakers I couldn't put up with the tinny sound

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
I had the yellowing on the bottom of the screen and to be honest I still don't know what causes the problem but after they replaced the screen 5 times finally it is acceptable and its barely noticeable but its still slightly warmer towards the bottom...

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The higher-end 27-inch iMac late 2012 models (possibly only the ones with the better 680MX graphics card) seem to be the ones that are suffering from image retention. I have a fully loaded one that has pretty bad IR (and I have the 680MX card with 2GB of RAM) and am currently waiting for a like-for-like replacement.

Since the people who say they don't have image retention problems with their 27-inch iMacs do not seem to have the 680MX card, you might have a better off ordering one with the lower-end card. That's what I will be doing if the replacement fully-loaded 27-inch iMac has IR as well.

Last edited:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
The higher-end 27-inch iMac late 2012 models (possibly only the ones with the better 680MX graphics card) seem to be the ones that are suffering from image retention. I have a fully loaded one that has pretty bad IR (and I have the 680MX card with 2MB of RAM) and am currently waiting for like-for-like replacement.

Since the people who say they don't have image retention problems with their 27-inch iMacs do not seem to have the 680MX card, you might have a better off ordering one with the lower-end card. That's what I will be doing if the replacement fully-loaded 27-inch iMac has IR as well.

when you say the lower end card ,do you mean the 675MX ?

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
when you say the lower end card ,do you mean the 675MX ?

Yes. I don't understand why using the 675MX card would make a difference with the image retention issues, but everyone I know who has a 27-inch and no IR problems is using the 675MX card.

On the flip side, every time I read about IR issues on the 27-inch iMacs and people are nice enough to post their specs, it seems like they are mostly using the 680MX card.

Again, it doesn't really make sense why this would have an affect on IR issues... maybe it's generating a lot of heat?

I do notice that when I get image retention on my top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac I feel a lot of HEAT coming off the LCD... but I'm never doing anything more that web browsing at the time, so the graphics card really isn't being stressed and really has no business being so hot as to cause the IR issue. But, who knows? SOMETHING is making those max-ed out machines more prone to image retention. I feel the graphics card may have something to do with it, even though it really should not. :confused:

mushroomtip

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Yes. I don't understand why using the 675MX card would make a difference with the image retention issues, but everyone I know who has a 27-inch and no IR problems is using the 675MX card.

On the flip side, every time I read about IR issues on the 27-inch iMacs and people are nice enough to post their specs, it seems like they are mostly using the 680MX card.

Again, it doesn't really make sense why this would have an affect on IR issues... maybe it's generating a lot of heat?

I do notice that when I get image retention on my top-of-the-line 27-inch iMac I feel a lot of HEAT coming off the LCD... but I'm never doing anything more that web browsing at the time, so the graphics card really isn't being stressed and really has no business being so hot as to cause the IR issue. But, who knows? SOMETHING is making those max-ed out machines more prone to image retention. I feel the graphics card may have something to do with it, even though it really should not. :confused:

Good to Know ! Thanks !

cole01

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
I have a maxed out 27incher with NO image retention just for the record so it's not because of the 680

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I don't see how a graphics card can impact the IR. It's strictly a display issue. Any correlation between IR and graphics card is purely coincidental. iMacs aren't the only computers to use this card.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I ordered mine the day they were available, have had it since early December without any issues.

It's a high end 21.5" with Fusion Drive.

No screen problems, HD problems, or fan problems.

Knock on wood!

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I don't see how a graphics card can impact the IR. It's strictly a display issue. Any correlation between IR and graphics card is purely coincidental. iMacs aren't the only computers to use this card.

I understand what you are saying and want to agree with you. Those of use with IR are just trying to figure out how this is happening on multiple replacement units. My thought was not that something was technically wrong with the 680MX graphics card... because I agree that the graphics card alone is unlikely to be causing the IR.

Rather my thought was that the 680MX is physically doing something that is either generating more heat or causing some other part to create enough heat that might, in turn, be causing the IR.

My IR only happens at full brightness (which I need since I work in a bright, sunlit office) and when it does, my screen feels very, very warm. Hence, my thought that heat might be the culprit.

----------

I ordered mine the day they were available, have had it since early December without any issues.

Knock on wood!

Image retention has only been seen on some 27-inch models so far, as far as I can tell. 21.5-inch models have not been a problem.

----------

I have a maxed out 27incher with NO image retention just for the record so it's not because of the 680

That makes me hope that my replacement iMac will also not have IR. But, I have yet to find someone with a truly maxed out 27-incher that does not have IR. Your machine is not maxed out... it's missing the 3TB Fusion. Again, I don't know why in the world that would make ANY difference, but those people that have IR and have posted their specs seem to have truly maxed out machines.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Fans are always an issue with any iMac i have bought I am scared to exchange due to horror storys of people getting new ones worse than original.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
I understand what you are saying and want to agree with you. Those of use with IR are just trying to figure out how this is happening on multiple replacement units. My thought was not that something was technically wrong with the 680MX graphics card... because I agree that the graphics card alone is unlikely to be causing the IR.

Rather my thought was that the 680MX is physically doing something that is either generating more heat or causing some other part to create enough heat that might, in turn, be causing the IR.

My IR only happens at full brightness (which I need since I work in a bright, sunlit office) and when it does, my screen feels very, very warm. Hence, my thought that heat might be the culprit.

The good news is if the graphics card is the culprit, it's relatively easy to correct - either firmware update or a quick visit to the service center to isolate the offending heat/RF etc. source.

In any case, good luck with your next replacement. My new iMac should arrive today. It's -genuine- :)D) top of the line with the 768gb SSD. I'm hoping that doesn't include the IR option. :)

TV Cameraman

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The good news is if the graphics card is the culprit, it's relatively easy to correct - either firmware update or a quick visit to the service center to isolate the offending heat/RF etc. source.

In any case, good luck with your next replacement. My new iMac should arrive today. It's -genuine- :)D) top of the line with the 768gb SSD. I'm hoping that doesn't include the IR option. :)

Ha! :rolleyes: Forgot that there is, of course, an even MORE maxed out version with the SSD option. :)

I haven't noticed anyone with the pure SSD option having IR problems, but who knows.

All I can say is that the heat coming off the monitor when it's having IR is incredible. I can feel the temperature of the LCD panel change with my face! Something in there is causing that heat. Either the LCD panel itself, or one (or a combination) of the internal components. I do notice that several IR suffers who have posted specs also have the 3TB Fusion Drive... but haven't seen it with the pure SSD option. Good luck! I'm getting my replacement machine today...

Last edited:

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
Ha! :rolleyes: Forgot that there is, of course, an even MORE maxed out version with the SSD option. :)

I haven't noticed anyone with the pure SSD option having IR problems, but who knows.

All I can say is that the heat coming off the monitor when it's having IR is incredible. I can feel the temperature change in my face! Something in there is causing that heat. Either the LCD panel itself, or one (or a combination) of the internal components. I do notice that several IR suffers who have posted specs also have the 3TB Fusion Drive... but haven't seen it with the pure SSD option. Good luck! I'm getting my replacement machine today...

One more thing to check, if you have the iStat menu bar or something similar - the temps of your GPU die and heatsink. If they are off the charts, then heat could be the cuprit.

jtrainor56

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2010
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
All I can say is buy what you want and can afford and stop worrying about issues. I have had my i7 since before Christmas and have seen none of the issues that others have. No matter what you get, in a forum like this you are always going to have someone complain or have a gripe.

Eventually every thing will have problems and something will need to be repaired, whether you spend $3k for an iMac or $300k for a house!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Same here (model & experience). If you want or need an iMac just buy one. Don't be put off by the Revision 1 thing. They come with a warranty and from what I read any revision can have an issue. Nothing has gone wrong on mine and I would have no issue buying a new revision from Apple again.

iPhone 4 bought at launch. Gave me no problems until just before I traded in for the iPhone 5 when the home button got a bit tired.

iPhone 5 bought at launch. No issues to date.

It's not like apple don't have a thorough test on any new product before launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.