Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
is there anyone here that can help me?
unfortunetly my iphone got wet :( , and now it won`t start, the pc doesn`t recognise it, doesn't charge, it won`t do absolutely anything.
i've put it to dry in rice and still nothing.
can i do something to make it work again?
thanks

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
except that. if there is any posibility to repair it, change a part of it so it can work again. If anyone confrunted with this issue ... what did they do?

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
thnx for your answer, but i asked if someone had this problem to ... and if they fixed it, and how. the trip to apple store is my final alternative.

omegaphil6

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
My daughter dropped her first Gen iphone into a sink while washing her hands and it got water in the screeen and wouldnt work. i put it in a bag of rice and stuck the bag of rice in my trunk and left it there for 2 weeks... then i took it out and put it on the dock to charge it. It came up and worked but with a blotch on the screen where the water had been... so i put it back into the bag of rice (ziplock) and stuck it back in my trunk for another 2 weeks... after that the phone works just fine, no blotch on the screen anymore
!!!! The only giveaway is the water indicator in the headphone jack is pink, but the phone is out of warranty anyway and at least it is fully functional again.

You just have to be patient.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
NO MANUFACTURER COVERS WATER DAMAGE UNDER WARRANTY

sorry but electronics and water don't mix

edit: look below

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
thanx for your answer omegaphil. i will try again to put it in a bag of rise... maybe this time it will work.

Prissy

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
My daughter dropped her first Gen iphone into a sink while washing her hands and it got water in the screeen and wouldnt work. i put it in a bag of rice and stuck the bag of rice in my trunk and left it there for 2 weeks... then i took it out and put it on the dock to charge it. It came up and worked but with a blotch on the screen where the water had been... so i put it back into the bag of rice (ziplock) and stuck it back in my trunk for another 2 weeks... after that the phone works just fine, no blotch on the screen anymore
!!!! The only giveaway is the water indicator in the headphone jack is pink, but the phone is out of warranty anyway and at least it is fully functional again.

You just have to be patient.

I dont know but how is putting the phone aorund rice will fix the phone? Please explain :) it's interesting.

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
the rise absobes all humidity and will clear the phone from every drop of water. i kept my iphone in rise only 2 days ... but if he says that after 2 weeks may mork, i have nothing to lose. will try again and reply in 2 weeks to tell you if it worked

Prissy

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2009
the rise absobes all humidity and will clear the phone from every drop of water. i kept my iphone in rise only 2 days ... but if he says that after 2 weeks may mork, i have nothing to lose. will try again and reply in 2 weeks to tell you if it worked

very nice to know :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
NO MANUFACTURER COVERS WATER DAMAGE UNDER WARRANTY

sorry but electronics and water don't mix

you will probably end up having to purchase a used one or wait for the next iPhone in the summer
FWIW, Apple recently changed their "we won't repair water damaged iPhones policy" and will replace any water-damaged iPhone for $199.

You're right in that they won't cover it under the warranty (i.e. free), but the $199 replacement from Apple is probably a lot cheaper than you can pick up a used iPhone for.

verks

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
Do the bag o rice thing. My wife was taking a picture of our 16 month old in the tub when the little man took a swipe at the phone and knocked it into the tub. After that I put it in some rice(completely submerged in rice) and let it sit for 48 hours. When i pulled it out it worked fine except for the blotchy screen. After about a week the blotchyness (is that a word?) went away.

Good Luck!

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
FWIW, Apple recently changed their "we won't repair water damaged iPhones policy" and will replace any water-damaged iPhone for $199.

You're right in that they won't cover it under the warranty (i.e. free), but the $199 replacement from Apple is probably a lot cheaper than you can pick up a used iPhone for.

i thought that was only for cracked glass

got a link ?

dmeakin

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
iPhone Got Wet and not working !!!

Don't give up all hope! Let me repeat some advice I gave in an earlier forum. My problem was that after letting the iPhone fall into a cup of coffee I lost all sound. Then, just by chance, I downloaded a free app called iBlow! After playing this a few times the sound miraculously returned. The blowing into the mic must have reactivated something. Now everything is back to normal.

Masslinka

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2009
QuickFIX saved my water damage iPhone

2 weeks ago i dropped my 3G iPhone to the sink, and it stopped responding at all, only black screen. I tried to dry it as much as i could. Still no respond. I went to Apple store, but they told me that they don't cover that problem, and they do not do the repair as well. After that I started searching for a good repair shop on Google. After a good number of calls i found one shop, it was on Manhattan, on 5th ave(very convenient location) and they gave me a good price. And the other thing that i got my phone back in working condition on the next day. Very quick service. I called them 2 days after my phone got water damage, and they instructed me what should i do. They told me do not try to turn it on or charge it, because that can kill the motherboard, but i already tried, and i was scared that i won't get my phone working again. But this guys know what they are doing. The company's staff are really nice and polite. and they have a really good reviews (which is really important i think). You can check it out their website here: http://quickfixny.com/index-3.html

I am happy that i have my phone working again and hope that my experience will be helpful!

avr9

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
i had a bottle of alcohol in my purse and spilled all over my iphone. now my touchscreen wont work and i can see marks on the screen. will the rice thing work even if its not water?? thanks!

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
thanx for everything guys ... i kept my iphone in rise for another 4 days, and now it`s working without any problems. touchscreen functional / camera functional / wifi functional ... no problems what so ever ... it`s strange how a simple thing like rise can repair a 300 euro iphone

newyearbabie

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
My own water/electronics experience

Other phones, pagers, I've had that got very wet were recovered by taking the backs off of them and using the low setting of a blow dryer to dry out the insides. You've got nothing to lose. Try it.

ddesign

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
Other phones, pagers, I've had that got very wet were recovered by taking the backs off of them and using the low setting of a blow dryer to dry out the insides. You've got nothing to lose. Try it.

thanx but i kept my iphone in rise for another 4 days, and now it`s working without any problems. touchscreen functional / camera functional / wifi functional ... no problems what so ever ... it`s strange how a simple thing like rise can repair a 300 euro iphone

tooken13

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2009
apple recently started to take care of water damaged iphones. I dropped mine in the sink about a week ago. The phone started flashing white and vibrating, and i had a difficult time turning it off. When i did get it off I put it in a bag of rice for few days. This seemed to help a bit. However not completely.. I can turn the phone on and off, but the screen still goes through various sequence of flashing. I then proceeded to take the phone appart, I removed the screen carefully to notice there are at least 2 more water sensors on the inside, that are very easy to detect. Both of them were tripped. I let it air dry for a few days, and myphone is now functional. The screen still goes through flashing phases but i am able to text call, and all that other stuff. I will still most likely get myphone repaired. Apple will fix a water damage phone for $229 (canadian) im not sure on the price in other regions. But this seems like a fair bargane as a new ( regular) phone would run me about the same price.
Taking apart the phone is very easy and there are numerous instructions found online for doing so. Id say that is your best bet. Besides if you wanted to try and fiddle with the water sensors, then maybe you will have a shot by carefully replacing the stickers. dont forget the one in the headphone jack too!! good luck

MissChristina

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Did you have to renew your contract with Apple?

I got my phone wet because I have a terrible habit of not completely sealing lids on water bottles. The water bottle leaked in my purse and my iphone soaked in it for a while before I noticed. When I pulled it out the buttons were unresponsive. It wasn't soaking, so I didn't notice the dampness at first, so I plugged it into the wall charger. It made a noise, and that was the last it did. I went at it with a hair dryer on the cool setting for about 20 minutes, and now it's sitting in a bag of rice with some silica packets that I found in a vitamin bottle. I'll give it a few days, but mostly I've given up hope since I plugged it into the charger and probably fried something. I'm back on my old original iphone and it's no good. I just can't go without GPS.

My question is for people who had their phones replaced by Apple for $199 or whatever. Do they also make you renew the contract with AT&T?

Also, I've pretty much already voided my warranty since I'm sure the water sensors were triggered, so is there any reason not to take off the back and see if it dries a little better with that off?

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I accidentally washed my iPhone 5. I put it in with a bag of rice but after 48 hours there was still water in it. I opened up a silica gel pack that comes in most product boxes and dumped the powder into a different bag. I put my iPhone in with it (do not let it touch the powder) and closed the bag. 12 hours later it was completely dry. Silica works MUCH faster than rice.

It is very important to NOT PLUG YOUR PHONE INTO ANYTHING until it's dry or you will fry the processor.

I also found that Apple put in a special fail safe in case you get the phone wet. Once a sensor detects moisture, it shuts the phone off. Pushing the power button will not turn it back on - this is to keep you from frying the phone. It will only turn back on when you plug it in.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.