Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Avoid Superdrive if you can. They're extremely slow DVD readers and burners.

I went with the Super Drive and I can't say that I've noticed this. Before I got my iMac, I had a Windows PC, this had an internal 5.25 inch CD/DVD drive in it, I can't say that I've noticed the Super Drive been any slower at reading and writing than this too be honest.

plasmaj

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Avoid Superdrive if you can. They're extremely slow DVD readers and burners.

I considered getting a super drive this past week when I had a coupon at a 3rd party retailer that would have dropped the price to below $60. But then I read that it will not work on Apple devices that come with a built in cd/dvd drive. So if my older MBP's optical drive dies, I wouldn't be able to use it with that. I don't see a huge risk of that, but I would kick myself if that happened for not having a drive I could use in both of my computers

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
I went with the Super Drive and I can't say that I've noticed this. Before I got my iMac, I had a Windows PC, this had an internal 5.25 inch CD/DVD drive in it, I can't say that I've noticed the Super Drive been any slower at reading and writing than this too be honest.

If the only activities that are done on the drives are listening to CDs and watching DVDs, the speed difference are unnoticed. It's when burning CDs or DVDs, or even reading data / ripping CDs / DVDs the difference is clearly noticeable.

Here are some spec differences.

Super drive speeds are:

CD: x24
DVD: x8

Generic DVD internal drive speeds on PCs (please check specs before purchasing as models may vary)

CD: x52
DVD: x24

Hope this helps

I considered getting a super drive this past week when I had a coupon at a 3rd party retailer that would have dropped the price to below $60. But then I read that it will not work on Apple devices that come with a built in cd/dvd drive. So if my older MBP's optical drive dies, I wouldn't be able to use it with that. I don't see a huge risk of that, but I would kick myself if that happened for not having a drive I could use in both of my computers

I know how you feel. I felt the same myself. There's no harm in purchasing a a superdrive as a backup. I have one myself. I found burning, ripping or reading data to be quicker on generic drives. There's a lot more competition between brands, so they're always trying to do better than the others. This has contributed to driving technology forward.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
I went with the ASUS external slim DVD drive for my 2012 iMac. I'm pretty disapointed to see that it has to use 2 USB ports to run when many others liked the drive for only needing 1 USB slot.

Why does the iMac have insufficient power for the DVD drive? Seems pretty bogus.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I went with the ASUS external slim DVD drive for my 2012 iMac. I'm pretty disapointed to see that it has to use 2 USB ports to run when many others liked the drive for only needing 1 USB slot.

Why does the iMac have insufficient power for the DVD drive? Seems pretty bogus.

That was one of the reasons I went with the Apple USB Super Drive because it only had one USB plug whereas a lot of the other external CD/DVD drives had two, and the last thing I wanted was to use two USB ports to use one device.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The Apple external Superdrive is a nice looking drive, but I recommend against it because it DOES NOT work on non-Mac computers.

So you don't care, you say? That's nice now, but what if in the future you get another machine that isn't a Mac and you want to use it? You're boned.

Get a third party drive; it'll work on EVERYTHING and many of them perform better than Apple's.

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom
I gave my old iMac away (24" model) and would not consider replacing it. After a while it turned out I didn't like the all-in-one computer aspect. However I had it for many years up until a few weeks ago. Saw this thread and was really shocked no optical drive? I should pay more attention to MacRumors it seems.

Apples drives are the worst I used an external from LG twice as fast as the built in drive on the iMacs.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I really don't like the superdrives. For me, they (the internal super drives) have been the number one area of failure on all the Macs I've owned. In several cases I've had to have the superdrive replaced up to 4 times in any individual Mac. On my current MBP I'm on drive number 3.

For this reason I would recommend pretty much any compatible 3rd party external optical drive over a Superdrive......as long as it's not a slot loader!

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
That was one of the reasons I went with the Apple USB Super Drive because it only had one USB plug whereas a lot of the other external CD/DVD drives had two, and the last thing I wanted was to use two USB ports to use one device.

You only need to plug in one USB and it works...I have an external LG and it has two USB connects, I disconnected one and it still works fine...

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009

Well what sucks is that on amazon, people have said this exact drive works on some apple products with just one USB slot. So what gives with the 2012 iMac?

Also, for $20 I'll take the Asus which is faster than the apple super drive that costs $80! I guess I'll take the premium price for the mac, but I'll never justify paying 4 times as much for the apple superdrive which is about 12 year old technology.

I've been using apple computers for over 10 years, but I can't wait until they advertise "incredible blu-ray disc technology" in their next, or one after the next iMac.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
You only need to plug in one USB and it works...I have an external LG and it has two USB connects, I disconnected one and it still works fine...

But that's not always the case with all external USB CD/DVD drives, post 31 mentions the need to use 2 ports for the Asus drive that yourashero purchased. I can also remember reading some reviews on CD/DVD drives I'd looked into getting that mention the need to use 2 ports too.

jlluna

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
Holly Michigan
I just ordered this one today and should be here next week.

Samsung BR/DVD/CD burner external drive

It has some good reviews so I figured I would give it a try. Only $10 more than the Apple SuperDrive but with BR ability so figured the $10 extra was worth it.

I will let you know more after I get it and get a chance to use it.

BTW, I have a i7 2.6GHz quad core Mac mini with 16 GB of ram. Is there a stock app that will allow me to burn CD/DVD/BR disk or is there a recommended, easy to use App/program to download to accomplish this? Preferably free or low cost.

Thanks.

I have this one. Workers great for me.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
I really don't like the superdrives. For me, they (the internal super drives) have been the number one area of failure on all the Macs I've owned. In several cases I've had to have the superdrive replaced up to 4 times in any individual Mac. On my current MBP I'm on drive number 3.

For this reason I would recommend pretty much any compatible 3rd party external optical drive over a Superdrive......as long as it's not a slot loader!

You are not alone. Every iMac I've come across (a bunch) has the cheapest possible optical & they all fail long before they should. Problem solved in late 2012. No Drive! They did us a favor really.

Years ago I bought one of OWCs Jumbo Jet Externals. It's big, fast and sounds like it's about to take off, but what a tank. Never fails. The actual drive is Pioneer - my favorite DVR maker.
I'll use it till I can't find an adapter or it finally takes off and escapes through the window ;)

ptb127

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2013
I am new to these forums and I just recently purchased a 2012 iMac... I've been reading thru here and I notice alot of British posts with drives... but really I am just looking to watch DVD's on my new iMac like I have accustomed to doing with my windows PC. What's the best drive to do that with and what do I need to do to hook it up and make it work with my iMac? the easiest way possible..

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I am just looking to watch DVD's on my new iMac like I have accustomed to doing with my windows PC. What's the best drive to do that with and what do I need to do to hook it up and make it work with my iMac? the easiest way possible..

I'm in the UK and I have the new iMac (Late 2012 model).

To hook the CD/DVD drive to the iMac in most cases its a case of just connecting the drive to the iMac via the CD/DVD drives USB cable. There maybe the odd one that will come with its own power supply (These tend to be the 5.25 inch models, but these are hard to find in the UK), its mostly the portable/slim type such as the Apple USB Superdrive or other similar models that are available now.

To watch your DVD's you could use either the included DVD Player Application which comes pre installed on your iMac or you could download another Application such as VLC Player (which is my personal favourite)

VLC Player:
http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.0.6/macosx/vlc-2.0.6.dmg

Some of the slim/portable type external CD/DVD drives I looked at, had twin ended USB cables. Some of the time its not needed (to connect the 2 USB plugs up), but the twin ends are so that if needed (for power) the drive can get power from 2 USB ports, but in some setups there's no need to connect it to 2 USB ports.

When I got my iMac I went with the Apple USB Superdrive for the following reasons:

1: It only has one USB plug on the end of its cable (so there's not going to be an issue with power).

2: Its a perfect match for the iMac.

3: Its a slot loading drive (this is just a personal preference as I don't really like the draw loading drives).

The negatives I have found with the Apple USB Superdrive are:

1: Its expensive (but I knew this before I purchased it, obviously :D )

2: Its not the fastest drive at writing (but in fairness, specification wise, all the portable/slim drives I looked at had the same reading, writing speeds).

3: The USB cable on the Apple USB Superdrive is permanently attached and is really short. Now this isn't a problem if you are going to be placing the drive on the foot of the iMac's stand (this is where I have mine positioned and its an ideal spot for it) but if you want to place the drive on the other side of your desk for example, then you would need a USB extension cable.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I will vouch for any of these Blu-ray burners:

LaCie
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827187068

LiteOn
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106373

Pioneer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129069

I highly prefer the Pioneer, but this one is USB 2.0. Prefer it because my experience with this maker. Good, reliable and long lasting drives....:):apple:

that pioneer is the first "slim" drive ive ever seen that supports both triple layer and quad layer blue ray discs. so you can burn data blue ray discs over 100 gigabytes per disc. thats pretty awesome. to bad its discontinued from newegg. im sure there is a few spots around you can get it still but id like to find out somehow if there is an updated version of that specific drive. it seems like such a waste to have such a nice drive discontinued with no successor.

DFWHD

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2011
I ordered the Lacie Slim Blu-Ray 3.0 burner and the external power adapter directly from Lacie last week and it arrived last night. So far it works great. The device shows up as a USB 3 device in system properties and speeds seem to be great. I've ripped about 11 of my Blu-ray movies using MakeMKV and the Leowo video converter that the Mac App store offered for free a few weeks ago. The burner fits right below my iMac and so far, I'm impressed.
Oh yeah, the reason I ordered the power adapter was to not have to worry about using 1 or 2 USB 3 ports...

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
that pioneer is the first "slim" drive ive ever seen that supports both triple layer and quad layer blue ray discs. so you can burn data blue ray discs over 100 gigabytes per disc. thats pretty awesome. to bad its discontinued from newegg. im sure there is a few spots around you can get it still but id like to find out somehow if there is an updated version of that specific drive. it seems like such a waste to have such a nice drive discontinued with no successor.
Per the Pioneer USA website, that's one of two external drives in their current lineup:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Portable/Computer+Drives

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
Per the Pioneer USA website, that's one of two external drives in their current lineup:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Portable/Computer+Drives

newegg listed it as discontinued. newegg is really responsive with listing items as discontinued when companies are phasing out an item and just getting rid of the last of their inventory. Ive seen it at least 4 times when newegg has listed an item as discontinued then a company discontinued the item a month or 2 later.

the company has it for sale now but i wouldnt be surprised if a month or 2 from now you see an entirely different product on their website.

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
the company has it for sale now but i wouldnt be surprised if a month or 2 from now you see an entirely different product on their website.
Great, I find this out after I bought a Samsung unit. :D

Really, though, thanks for the insight into NewEgg and their discontinued items.:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.