Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I was having trouble with my iPhone 5 and called Verizon because apple wouldn't replace the phone. They're overnighting me a replacement. Anyone have experience with Verizon? Are the phones just like the apple replacements? Are they noticeably used?

ray6712

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
StL
In my experience with Verizon's replacements they have been on par with Apples, usually no sign of wear at all

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Refurbished phones look just like brand new. This is with any phone.

Not true.

Verizon has replacement units? Through them or through Asurion? Or are they already offering refurbished 5's on their site? Either way, Apple replaces the outer shell, battery, and screen. Asurion replaces nothing. They send the phone out as is. When the 5 came out they were sending out brand new sealed boxes. I doubt that's the case 7 months later.

Last edited:

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
The replacement is from verizon not asurion. I just dont want to receive a phone that looks all nicked up and abused. If so I'll just stay with my phone I have now and try @ apple again. My power button is stuck and I went to the apple store on 5th Ave and they said it looks like physical damage because it was in a otterbox :eek:. NO scratches or anything on the phone so I just rather keep mine. Guess I'll find out tomorrow... I'll give an update tomorrow for anyone else that is curious and was in this position. Thanx fellas!

als522877

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I had my iPhone 5 stolen while at work in Dec. I went through Asurion to get it replaced & they sent me a brand new in the box iPhone 5. (still factory shrink wrapped) I had called Apple to cancel the AC+ on the stolen phone to use the refund towards getting AC+ on the replacement. I had no problems at all getting that done.

They were going to pro-rate the 2 months it had already been activated, but when they asked why I wanted to cancel & I told them the phone was stolen & I was going to use the refund to put AC+ on the replacement phone I received from Asurion. The rep put me on hold to "Talk to their supervisor". The rep came back and said they would do a full refund instead.

Not sure whether Verizon will send you a refurb or brand new iPhone 5 but if you have AppleCare+ on your previous iPhone 5 the process to get it "moved" over isn't that bad.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
The replacement is from verizon not asurion. I just dont want to receive a phone that looks all nicked up and abused. If so I'll just stay with my phone I have now and try @ apple again. My power button is stuck and I went to the apple store on 5th Ave and they said it looks like physical damage because it was in a otterbox :eek:. NO scratches or anything on the phone so I just rather keep mine. Guess I'll find out tomorrow... I'll give an update tomorrow for anyone else that is curious and was in this position. Thanx fellas!

I would definitely try Apple again for sure. I think you'll get better results.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I would definitely try Apple again for sure. I think you'll get better results.

Got my replacement from verizon (not asurion) and its on par with the genius bar replacements. Heres a flick..

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
Got my replacement from verizon (not asurion) and its on par with the genius bar replacements. Heres a flick..

Looks good! Screen protected with film and everything. I'm happy it worked out for you. One piece of advise? Call Apple now and get AppleCare+ and drop Asurion, assuming you have it. It's a better deal. And since you just received the replacement today they should allow you to purchase AC+ over the phone.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Looks good! Screen protected with film and everything. I'm happy it worked out for you. One piece of advise? Call Apple now and get AppleCare+ and drop Asurion, assuming you have it. It's a better deal. And since you just received the replacement today they should allow you to purchase AC+ over the phone.

Did that already! But I kept assurion just in case god forbid I lose it or it gets stolen. I dont mind paying the extra 10 bucks a month...A little piece of mind goes a long way.

TaEbOm

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
Got a replacement from Asurion last week. 64gb brand new in sealed box with a deductible of $199.

ahfu25

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
Got a replacement from Asurion last week. 64gb brand new in sealed box with a deductible of $199.

You have verizon?....btw this idiot here just updated to 6.1.3....dont ask...it wasnt a mistake...smh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.