Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Regarding to the 2012 Mac Mini HDMI issue

Somehow i've tried below combinations:
Late 2012 i7 2.3 Mac Mini @ 1066MHz 4GB Ram x 2
Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion)

Monitor is
Sony Playstation 3D Display (Full HD)
Sony TV 32HX750 (Full HD)
Sony TV 46NX710 (Full HD)
Unknown brand TV @ 22" (Full HD) (An OEM sample from my friend)
No DVI port available

1. Sony 1.4ver HDMI to HDMI - all sucks @ 1080p
24" is better than 32" and 46"

2. unknown brand miniDP to HDMI cable - same sucks @ 1080p
24" is still better than 32" and 46"

3. VGA Adaptor - unknown brand VGA Cable to TVs (excluding Sony 3D Display)
perfect quality but no sound (of course)

Therefore I could tell the HDMI problem is not FIXED at all @ 10.8.3...
Color quality is improved. Yes, it's obvious.
Crushed white seems to be fixed on 3D Display, but quality is still sucks on TV.
Texts are blurry, extremely not clear, Fonts are ugly.
Moreover the resolution / underscan or overscan problem is still exists.

I tried to boot up the mac mini with Windows 8 (with all bootcamp drivers comes with 10.8.3)

Using HDMI, miniDP to HDMI and VGA are all fine, quality is perfect.
Therefore another summary : This is not HW problem, it's all about Mac OS X.

Apple, please fix it...

Last edited:

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey

Somehow i've tried below combinations:
Late 2012 i7 2.3 Mac Mini @ 1033MHz 4GB Ram x 2
Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion)

Monitor is
Sony Playstation 3D Display (Full HD)
Sony TV 32HX750 (Full HD)
Sony TV 46NX710 (Full HD)
Unknown brand TV @ 22" (Full HD) (An OEM sample from my friend)
No DVI port available

1. Sony 1.4ver HDMI to HDMI - all sucks @ 1080p
24" is better than 32" and 46"

2. unknown brand miniDP to HDMI cable - same sucks @ 1080p
24" is still better than 32" and 46"

3. VGA Adaptor - unknown brand VGA Cable to TVs (excluding Sony 3D Display)
perfect quality but no sound (of course)

Crushed white seems to be fixed on 3D Display, but quality is still sucks on TV.

I tried to boot up the mac mini with Windows 8 (with all bootcamp drivers comes with 10.8.3)

Therefore another summary : This is not HW problem, it's all about Mac OS X.

Apple, please fix it...

Please put the right ram in and stop posting until you do. That ram is well under specced and it is most likely causing the issue. You are wasting time by telling us that 8gb of the wrong ram does not work correctly. 1033 ram does not exist I think you mean 1066. You are specced for 1600.

So the ram you are using is really wrong for your mini. Since your mini need ram to run its graphics it should work poorly with slow ram. I posted to you that you need better ram. Please buy some some where and then come back and let us know how your mini works.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Please put the right ram in and stop posting until you do. That ram is well under specced and it is most likely causing the issue. You are wasting time by telling us that 8gb of the wrong ram does not work correctly. 1033 ram does not exist I think you mean 1066. You are specced for 1600.

So the ram you are using is really wrong for your mini. Since your mini need ram to run its graphics it should work poorly with slow ram. I posted to you that you need better ram. Please buy some some where and then come back and let us know how your mini works.

I used the original ram (1600MHz 2 x 2GB) for testing too. (At the very beginning)
Result is just the same
I personally do not think it's related to the Ram. Coz the graphic is perfect now with VGA adaptor.

Seriously, It's kind of stupid if we need to upgrade the memory to 16GB in order to output NORMAL screen quality via HDMI.

besides, I used this pair of ram on my 2010 iMac 27" for 2 years. Nothing happened.
(Total 12GB ram , 8+4(default)), Everything is fine. (But it is another topic)

btw thanks for the correction, did the mistake on MHz of my ram. :D

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK

Therefore another summary : This is not HW problem, it's all about Mac OS X

Apple, please fix it...

Shame your setup seems to be having issues.

Mine isn't (and as the threads on the Apple support site shows; many others are no longer having problems (since the firmware update, not about the 10.8.3).

I did a lot of testing with mine before and after the firmware fix. I found that post firmware update, and following a simple monitor calibration; the HDMI output works fine now on many mini's.

I am assuming its only the quality you are having issues with? have you seen any of the snow/blank screen issues?

I found Windows seems to require much less in terms of calibration.

just a thought - have you tried a calibration (with the advanced options turned on)? it could make a difference.

mine if a 2012 i7 2.3 mini with a 16GB Crucial kit (also ran tests with stock 4GB).

wongja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Shame your setup seems to be having issues.

Mine isn't (and as the threads on the Apple support site shows; many others are no longer having problems (since the firmware update, not about the 10.8.3).

I did a lot of testing with mine before and after the firmware fix. I found that post firmware update, and following a simple monitor calibration; the HDMI output works fine now on many mini's.

I am assuming its only the quality you are having issues with? have you seen any of the snow/blank screen issues?

I found Windows seems to require much less in terms of calibration.

just a thought - have you tried a calibration (with the advanced options turned on)? it could make a difference.

mine if a 2012 i7 2.3 mini with a 16GB Crucial kit (also ran tests with stock 4GB).

have you seen any of the snow/blank screen issues? >>> Never
have you tried a calibration >>> Yes
Calibration - Yes
Script to Force RGB - Yes
Change color profile - Yes
Adjust setting on TVs - Yes
Reset NVRam and PRam - Yes
Use difference Cable - Yes
Called Apple - Yes

HDMI output quality is just bad , blurry fonts
But if you are saying Blinking / blank screen - Never

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
I used the original ram (1600MHz 2 x 2GB) for testing too. (At the very beginning)
Result is just the same
I personally do not think it's related to the Ram. Coz the graphic is perfect now with VGA adaptor.

Seriously, It's kind of stupid if we need to upgrade the memory to 16GB in order to output NORMAL screen quality via HDMI.

besides, I used this pair of ram on my 2010 iMac 27" for 2 years. Nothing happened.
(Total 12GB ram , 8+4(default)), Everything is fine. (But it is another topic)

btw thanks for the correction, did the mistake on MHz of my ram. :D

okay. Sorry I got upset.

wongja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
okay. Sorry I got upset.

Don't worry dude, I get it fixed by the solution most people do, to connect with an VGA or DVI adaptor.

As I said the quality is now totally fine. a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is ready to connect tonight. :D

BTW I found another option to set in my TV about 1:1 / overscan and I am gonna do some more testing tonight.

:D

I love the Mac Mini more than my previous iMac 27", not gonna give it up.

(BTW I am gonna purchase the Ram and a new Hybrid HDD soon. hopefully i could bring up with another report in near future. :D)

MikeXiL

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2013
Don't worry dude, I get it fixed by the solution most people do, to connect with an VGA or DVI adaptor.

As I said the quality is now totally fine. a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable is ready to connect tonight. :D

BTW I found another option to set in my TV about 1:1 / overscan and I am gonna do some more testing tonight.

:D

I love the Mac Mini more than my previous iMac 27", not gonna give it up.

(BTW I am gonna purchase the Ram and a new Hybrid HDD soon. hopefully i could bring up with another report in near future. :D)

Hey, I also have that Playstation 3D Display. I am going to purchase a Mac Mini this Saturday, but are you having problems with it? I was going to use this monitor for my primary display

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I'm on 10.8.2 and I only once had a problem about a week after I bought the quad 2.3 mini 2012. Lasted for less than a second, never to reappear again. I use a Cintiq 22 via HDMI to DVI adapter and a 23" NEC via DVI every day without incident.

Last edited:

wongja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
Hey, I also have that Playstation 3D Display. I am going to purchase a Mac Mini this Saturday, but are you having problems with it? I was going to use this monitor for my primary display

sorry for late reply, i've sold my display and shifted to sony 32hx750
everything looks fine now.

mtv21

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2013
My HDMI Issue Solved

I have a late 2012 mac mini and just added a 32 inch LED tv to use as a monitor. I hooked it up with an hdmi cord and the text and picture were terrible. I went out and got a mini display port to VGA adapter and the picture was much better. I really wanted to use the HDMI though for sound. I got a mini display port to HDMI cable and that was still terrible. Text was very blurry. I decided to try calibrating the display but that didn't work. I then started playing with the TV settings. Lo and behold, the issue was a sharpening setting on the TV. I turned sharpening to 0, and both text and video look great. Look at your monitor to see if there is a sharpening setting and turn it completely off. That solved my HDMI quality issues completely.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
Had the same issue as other HDMI users had, blurry text on my Samsung TV. One quick simple fix was to change the 'Source' name on the TV to PC and wala clear as day.

Willing to bet this is all what people need to fix to get a clear crisp picture using HDMI

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.