Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hey guys,

I've gotten a really good offer on an AppleCare for 15" and 17" Macbook Pro's.

I'm soon buying a 15" rMBP, so I would like to know if I can use that AppleCare for that?

Or do I have to buy a specific "Retina" AppleCare for the rMBP?

Nov 28, 2010
located
There is a specific product for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display, thus your plan will not work.

MR2ss_2013_03_19_pB1_AppleCareProtectionPlansMac.png

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Hey guys,

I've gotten a really good offer on an AppleCare for 15" and 17" Macbook Pro's.

I'm soon buying a 15" rMBP, so I would like to know if I can use that AppleCare for that?

Or do I have to buy a specific "Retina" AppleCare for the rMBP?

i just checked, when i click for retina takes me to the MBP 15" page. So yes its the same. But dont buy on ebay or something.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
i just checked, when i click for retina takes me to the MBP 15" page. So yes its the same. But dont buy on ebay or something.

Yeah, that was my conclusion too. Also, this Amazon review says it works for retina: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002XZ08R0/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R30FRW4E9FJGWY

I'm not buying from eBay - but I got contact to one who has an unsealed box that I can collect in person for $100. When it's in a sealed box, it should be safe, right?

Nov 28, 2010
located
How do you get to that plan list?

Clicking your link, I just get to "AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro" ($349), and I cannot choose my product?

See, I am an idiot. Yes, it is the same plan and I was idiotic enough to not check and just believed the screenshot I posted. Both MacBook Pro pictures (except that 13" thing) lead to the same page.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
See, I am an idiot. Yes, it is the same plan and I was idiotic enough to not check and just believed the screenshot I posted. Both MacBook Pro pictures (except that 13" thing) lead to the same page.

No worries! It's so unclear.

But then, I'd think it's safe to go with the 15" and 17" MBP protection plan! :)

Thanks guys!

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Yeah, that was my conclusion too. Also, this Amazon review says it works for retina: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002XZ08R0/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#R30FRW4E9FJGWY

I'm not buying from eBay - but I got contact to one who has an unsealed box that I can collect in person for $100. When it's in a sealed box, it should be safe, right?

I still wouldn't do it. try to find a friend from college and save

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
I have a 15" MacBook Pro Retina , purchased in Dec. 2012.

Last month I bought my Apple Care warranty here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html

NO PROBLEMS with activation , I read the enclosed paper work , did it online , then called Apple for verbal confirmation , it was all A-OK !!

That is a good price , and I can attest , that it is good.

Why pay Apples price if you don`t have ? Simple , you don`t have too !!

Later :)

Gary 

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Riiiiiight

I have a 15" MacBook Pro Retina , purchased in Dec. 2012.

Last month I bought my Apple Care warranty here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582543-REG/Apple_MC247LL_A_3_Year_AppleCare_for_15.html

NO PROBLEMS with activation , I read the enclosed paper work , did it online , then called Apple for verbal confirmation , it was all A-OK !!

That is a good price , and I can attest , that it is good.

Why pay Apples price if you don`t have ? Simple , you don`t have too !!

Later :)

Gary 

Yes, why would you pay Apple's price for a product that is ONLY offered by them?

Buying a second-hand warranty would freak me out. For me, AppleCare is a binary decision.

Jedi

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
OK__ If I did buy a second hand warranty , it would freak me out too.

But I bought new "sealed in plastic / boxed" from an authorized Apple dealer.

I would not put the fate of a new MBP-R , in the trust of an unauthorized seller.

Take care :)

G. 

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.