Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Skippymon

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Hi all,

I have a problem with iMovie that I can't solve. When I open the program up it almost immediately comes up with a window that asks "The previous attempt to open this movie failed, do you want to ignore it? Yes or No?"

Regardless of whether or not I choose to ignore it iMovie stops responding and comes up with the beach ball and I have to force close the program.

I tried to locate the .avi files which it mentions, but I think I deleted it from iPhoto some time ago.

I'm running a 3 month old MacBook Air, OS 10.8.3.

Any suggestions please?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
It's no good thinking. You have not stated what version of iMovie you are using.
It is telling you a file is corrupt and iMovie freezes. Open you Hard drive and have a good look and is your Trash empty?
These are simple ideas which could be helpful.:confused:

Skippymon

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Thanks for the help so far...

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.iMovie.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

I haven't got that exact file in Preferences, I do have this one though; "com.apple.iMovieApp.plist"

I can't tell what version of iMovie I have because it won't respond, is there a way of finding out which version I have without openining iMovie?

Trash is definitely empty.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Go to Application and see if you have iMovie. Close all applications on Dock and see if you can move iMovie into Dock. In Application when you open you main Hard drive you should see a section. SEARCH FOR.
TODAY
Yesterday
Past Week
ALL IMAGES
ALL MOVIES
Open all movies and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.