Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Assuming Apple releases a Mac Pro, said, in August, what do you opine if:

1-Have better graphics support...?
2-Have better I/O options....?
3-Have better processors...?

Do you will buy it? Shoot the thread with your opinions. Or suggest another things you want to see.

FYI, my interest is known if exists a potential market for the new Mac Pro. And what options can be more interesting. Mainly academic, I know, but worth to read another opinions.

:):apple:

GXPvince

macrumors regular
May 12, 2008
Assuming Apple releases a Mac Pro, said, in August, what do you opine if:

1-Have better graphics support...?
2-Have better I/O options....?
3-Have better processors...?

Do you will buy it? Shoot the thread with your opinions. Or suggest another things you want to see.

FYI, my interest is known if exists a potential market for the new Mac Pro. And what options can be more interesting. Mainly academic, I know, but worth to read another opinions.

What country are you from?

anedwar

Contributor
Feb 10, 2012
North Carolina
Sorry, Was going to translate it using google.

Just joking.

Not sure what your asking for in this thread.. Maybe rephrase it a little.

This is how I interpreted the question. No offense meant to phoenixsan but the question while understandable was worded a bit oddly. I hope this gets you some on topic responses :)

Assuming that apple releases a Mac Pro, say, in August which would you prefer.

1-better graphics support.
2-better I/O options
3-better processors

Do you plan on buying the new Mac Pro? Let me know your opinions or suggest something you'd like to see in the new Mac Pro.

FYI, my interest is mainly academic but I'm interested to know if there is still a potential market for the Mac Pro

As far as my answer:
Can I have all 3?

1 - I would like to see a beefier power supply so I can put dual 8pin Graphics cards without an external power supply. And yeah, I'd like to see official support for a high-end card on day 1 of release.

2 - I'd love to see USB-3 and a few additional USB ports wouldn't hurt. a Thunderbolt port would be nice but (for me) not necessary since I have actual PCI slots in the machine itself. It'd be nice if I could use my external TB drive from my mac mini on the next Pro.

3 - I'd like to see the quad models dropped and replaced by a hex option. So maybe have the Pros start at 6-core and top out at 16.

Will I be buying one? If what they release is competitive to offerings from other companies then yes I will buy one. If not I'll stick with my 5,1 until it dies and reevaluate at that point.

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Sorry, Was going to translate it using google.

Just joking.

Not sure what your asking for in this thread.. Maybe rephrase it a little.

It's another one of the already too numerous "Dream Spec The Next MacPro" threads.

I guess it's troll-spam.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
You....

This is how I interpreted the question. No offense meant to phoenixsan but the question while understandable was worded a bit oddly. I hope this gets you some on topic responses :)

Assuming that apple releases a Mac Pro, say, in August which would you prefer.

1-better graphics support.
2-better I/O options
3-better processors

Do you plan on buying the new Mac Pro? Let me know your opinions or suggest something you'd like to see in the new Mac Pro.

FYI, my interest is mainly academic but I'm interested to know if there is still a potential market for the Mac Pro

As far as my answer:
Can I have all 3?

1 - I would like to see a beefier power supply so I can put dual 8pin Graphics cards without an external power supply. And yeah, I'd like to see official support for a high-end card on day 1 of release.

2 - I'd love to see USB-3 and a few additional USB ports wouldn't hurt. a Thunderbolt port would be nice but (for me) not necessary since I have actual PCI slots in the machine itself. It'd be nice if I could use my external TB drive from my mac mini on the next Pro.

3 - I'd like to see the quad models dropped and replaced by a hex option. So maybe have the Pros start at 6-core and top out at 16.

Will I be buying one? If what they release is competitive to offerings from other companies then yes I will buy one. If not I'll stick with my 5,1 until it dies and reevaluate at that point.

get the point, the jest of the question....More than 500 posts and first one questioned about languaje and called troll....:eek: anyways, the question es more like: If Apple releases a Mac Pro with a, b, c....would you buy it?

Thanks again. Things can said in so, so many ways....Excuse me if sounds a little bit oddly...

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
get the point, the jest of the question....More than 500 posts and first one questioned about languaje and called troll....:eek: anyways, the question es more like: If Apple releases a Mac Pro with a, b, c....would you buy it?

Thanks again. Things can said in so, so many ways....Excuse me if sounds a little bit oddly...

No, you weren't called a troll... Your post was called troll-spam. Because there are already about 10 threads here with the same topic: "If Apple releases a Mac Pro with a, b, c....would you buy it?". Mmmm, Troll-spam sandwiches!

Wakate masuka, phoenix san?

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
I'm still confused about what you are asking.

But to sum it up if apple releases any form of new Mac Pro I will buy it.

1,2 and 3 or just 1 and 2 or maybe 2 and 3. I don't care release it and they will come.

spaz8

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2007
I've been in the market to replace my upgraded MP 1,1 since 2011, so the 2012 offering was pretty hard to take. Thankfully my home MP is a hobby machine (personal artwork, freelance work, updating my reel), but it is getting very long in the tooth, so it will be hard not to dive at anything resembling a modern workstation. I've thought about buying a refurb hex, or making a hack many times. My concern is upkeep anytime there is an OS bump etc, and buying hardware that is already old, and expecting to get 5 yrs of use out of it.

(1) Graphics support is the biggest area I care about, getting rid of the EFI limitations would be a dream. PCI 3.0, I keep saying crossfire/SLI support would be nice, not sure how hurt anyone who dosent need it. OpenGL 4.2 support in the OS. The 7950 is great to see, but I hope we will see better still. I've bought the best GFX cards apple offers for the last 10 years and those have still always been old and midrange. (GF4 460ti, 1900xt,8800gt,5770 just new to the apple community, and lack luster due to drivers or opengl compared to their PC equivalents)

(2) I don't care about thunderbolt at all.. I care more about USB 3, SATA3.. PCI and RAM slots.

(3) Anything is gonna feel faster than my 2x5160's (4 threads :( ) .. I was under the impression the next Xeon (E5 v2) update (due no sooner than july) would be 10 and 12 core. So possibly and single and dual proc option.

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
This the type....

I've been in the market to replace my upgraded MP 1,1 since 2011, so the 2012 offering was pretty hard to take. Thankfully my home MP is a hobby machine (personal artwork, freelance work, updating my reel), but it is getting very long in the tooth, so it will be hard not to dive at anything resembling a modern workstation. I've thought about buying a refurb hex, or making a hack many times. My concern is upkeep anytime there is an OS bump etc, and buying hardware that is already old, and expecting to get 5 yrs of use out of it.

(1) Graphics support is the biggest area I care about, getting rid of the EFI limitations would be a dream. PCI 3.0, I keep saying crossfire/SLI support would be nice, not sure how hurt anyone who dosent need it. OpenGL 4.2 support in the OS. The 7950 is great to see, but I hope we will see better still. I've bought the best GFX cards apple offers for the last 10 years and those have still always been old and midrange. (GF4 460ti, 1900xt,8800gt,5770 just new to the apple community, and lack luster due to drivers or opengl compared to their PC equivalents)

(2) I don't care about thunderbolt at all.. I care more about USB 3, SATA3.. PCI and RAM slots.

(3) Anything is gonna feel faster than my 2x5160's (4 threads :( ) .. I was under the impression the next Xeon (E5 v2) update (due no sooner than july) would be 10 and 12 core. So possibly and single and dual proc option.

Of things I want to hear/discuss. The original options I posted, were my assesment of things bad or not so fully implemented in the current Mac Pro. Not imagine the issues with the power supply, as a previous poster as said, nor different options in the configurations of the chips as others posters as said. The idea is bring us onto a situation/escenario where we can asses what things we consider important in the new Mac Pro (if comes). And arriving in that point, we will buy?

Valid questions and interesting to me, hence, the post.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Personally I'd like:

Quad i7 4770K's
1 TB RAM
50 TB storage
Starting price $2599.00

If you're gonna dream, dream big.

Hmmmmmmm, my guess

Xeon E5-2600 V2 (10 core) LGA2011
1866 Mhz Memory ECC
Sata-III
PCI-3
Some dedicated mobile GPU for thunderbolt or other trick.

3Q availability, if this isn't true then I think Xeon is history in the mac pro.

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Personally I'd like:

Quad i7 4770K's
1 TB RAM
50 TB storage
Starting price $2599.00

If you're gonna dream, dream big.

Unfortunately the i7 cannot do multi socket config, and quad socket boards are not easily found even for Xeons. Xeons are the only family of processor that can manage even close to that much ram. I think the direction it is all going is cloud computing, and GPU/co-processors. Nvidia just announced cloud graphics computing service to be available soon. So you can rent whatever level of power you need for your high end tasks, could be interesting for professional users, with less tech knowledge
Link

Last edited:

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 19, 2012
Cheers....

I am getting a headache from reading all these next mac pro threads.. The next one I see I am afraid I might have to down two beers. :D

This is a forum. Too many people wants to hear/read opinons. Maybe or not troll, troll-spamming o whatever, anybody is entitled to her/his opinion. And anybody is free to read/post as fits, within the rules. Enjoy your 2 beers...:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.