Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
So I recently sold my 24" iMac I've had since 2007. I'm left with a 2010 Mac mini (built in dvd drive) and a retina MBP. I am planning on getting a large display, maybe 27" but I've read the TBD is not compatible with the 2010 mini. I was originally thinking of getting a 27" iMac but to save money I think just getting a new display would work for my needs.

I need a monitor to work for both the mac mini most of the time but also with my rMBP when I bring it home from work. Any suggestions for one that works for both?

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Thank you for the quick response. I'm more interested in the TBD since it's newer and has some useful features but I've read it's not compatible with the mac mini 2010. Is that not true?

----------

I was hoping for a monitor that can run 2560 by 1440 to take advantage of my rMBP.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Thank you for the quick response. I'm more interested in the TBD since it's newer and has some useful features but I've read it's not compatible with the mac mini 2010. Is that not true?

----------

I was hoping for a monitor that can run 2560 by 1440 to take advantage of my rMBP.

In short, the Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a thunderbolt port, which wasn't added to the Mini until the 2011 model. So you can't take advantage of the extra ports (Ethernet, FW800, TB).

If you are looking for an Apple monitor at that resolution, they still sell the Apple Cinema Display here. It lacks the Ethernet, FW and TB ports, but includes all other features of the TBD, including USB, iSight/FaceTime camera & Speakers.

If you want another higher-end model, check out the Dell U2711.

If you simply want a large, cheap monitor, the Monoprice 27" CrystalPro uses the same panels that Apple & Dell use but that are rejected for some reason. (Apple & Dell use A+/A panels, these are A-/B+ panels).

Honestly, I think the Dell one might be your best bet. It has multiple connections including HDMI, DisplayPort, 2xDVI, VGA, Component & Composite. You could hook your mini up through DVI or HDMI and Use a DP-mDP Cable for your rMBP.

GEEK NOTE:
I know Monoprice sells great cables, but their mDP-DP cables only support ver 1.1 which doesn't carry audio. Thus, I linked a cable that supports 1.2. The Dell monitor has a 3.5mm audio out, so in theory you could hook up speakers and have the source switch with the video input.

Last edited:

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
If you do decide to go the TBD route, I would wait for the refresh.

Thank you, I might consider waiting since I'm in no hurry.

In short, the Apple Thunderbolt Display requires a thunderbolt port, which wasn't added to the Mini until the 2011 model. So you can't take advantage of the extra ports (Ethernet, FW800, TB).

Thank you for the info. I really like the clean look of Apple's displays. I've considered the off brands that use the same display but I don't want to worry about dead pixels. Thanks for the info on monoprice. If I go with one of those monitors, I'll check out the adapters there. Thank you.

----------

Any monitor will work (this one and this one were rated highly.) You just need a mini displayport to DVI adapter.

Thank you. The 27" Dell is in the consideration but it's not apple. I guess I really want an Apple display now that I think about it. :)

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Thank you, I might consider waiting since I'm in no hurry.

Thank you for the info. I really like the clean look of Apple's displays. I've considered the off brands that use the same display but I don't want to worry about dead pixels. Thanks for the info on monoprice. If I go with one of those monitors, I'll check out the adapters there. Thank you.

----------

Thank you. The 27" Dell is in the consideration but it's not apple. I guess I really want an Apple display now that I think about it. :)

Definitely go w/ an apple display. I bought the Dell Ultrasharp and hated it. Ended up selling it and buying a TBD...

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Definitely go w/ an apple display. I bought the Dell Ultrasharp and hated it. Ended up selling it and buying a TBD...

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't get one of those deals on the dell.

So is there a way to hook up the Mac mini to the TBD?

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Any monitor will work (this one and this one were rated highly.) You just need a mini displayport to DVI adapter.

Thanks! That's a really inexpensive option. Very tempting.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I'd rather get the Dell S2740L for that kind of money.
71bMm71duUL._AA1500_.jpg
71EUOXzZCGL._AA1500_.jpg

But frankly, 27" screens for work require a higher resolution, hence it calls for the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The TBD is a very nice display - just two strikes against it:

1) 27" screens with high reflectivity are more likely to have glare unless situated properly. If you go this route, make sure to take breaks from your screen regularly.

2) While you get Thunderbolt, you don't get USB 3. This is important as there are far more devices that will connect via USB 3 and it will keep growing. USB 2 is far slower. The upside is there are some Firewire ports (if I recall correctly) for those with FW devices.

It is a pity that Apple didn't opt for multi-connectivity via the Tbolt input (such as mini-DVI). This forces people to buy more equipment which isn't forward thinking, cutting edge or any of the 'old Apple' thinking. I would consider other monitors such as the Dell, upper line HP (yes it is a good option), and of course some offerings from Samsung, Vizio, NEC and others. Just know that there are differences between models and read the specs and reviews carefully.

Personal note - I opt out on buying anything Lenevo as they are a Chinese company that is trying to flood the market and get the largest share of home systems. No Lenevo for me.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
It is a pity that Apple didn't opt for multi-connectivity via the Tbolt input (such as mini-DVI). This forces people to buy more equipment which isn't forward thinking, cutting edge or any of the 'old Apple' thinking. I would consider other monitors such as the Dell, upper line HP (yes it is a good option), and of course some offerings from Samsung, Vizio, NEC and others. Just know that there are differences between models and read the specs and reviews carefully.

Yes, I'm disappointed in this as well. If I could use both with the TBD, I'd have it already in my home. Hopefully they will come out with a new display soon similar to the new iMac and I can forget all the other options.

Mcklintoc

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
If you simply want a large, cheap monitor, the Monoprice 27" CrystalPro uses the same panels that Apple & Dell use but that are rejected for some reason. (Apple & Dell use A+/A panels, these are A-/B+ panels).

Just a word of warning, I just got my Monoprice CrystalPro 27 and I can't get it work with my Mac Mini (late 2012). I have the Official Apple Mini-Display Port to Dual DVI connector and it will see the monitor on boot, but the monitor cycles on and off about every 10 seconds. The monitor is AWESOME/Perfect/No-Dead Pixels/Works with my Windows 7 box. Just a no-go for my Mac so far :(

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
Thanks! I'm glad I didn't get one of those deals on the dell.

So is there a way to hook up the Mac mini to the TBD?

No, what I meant was the apple cinema display. Which is basically identical to the TBD but it has the hdmi connectors instead of the TBD...

then you can use a converter to hook it up to the display port on the back of the mac mini (i'm assuming it has a display port).

----------

The TBD is a very nice display - just two strikes against it:

1) 27" screens with high reflectivity are more likely to have glare unless situated properly. If you go this route, make sure to take breaks from your screen regularly.

2) While you get Thunderbolt, you don't get USB 3. This is important as there are far more devices that will connect via USB 3 and it will keep growing. USB 2 is far slower. The upside is there are some Firewire ports (if I recall correctly) for those with FW devices.

Personal note - I opt out on buying anything Lenevo as they are a Chinese company that is trying to flood the market and get the largest share of home systems. No Lenevo for me.

There is already an adapter coming out that lets you use a TB port as a USB 3.0 hub. I'm pretty sure it will be amazing...

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
No, what I meant was the apple cinema display. Which is basically identical to the TBD but it has the hdmi connectors instead of the TBD...

then you can use a converter to hook it up to the display port on the back of the mac mini (i'm assuming it has a display port).

----------

There is already an adapter coming out that lets you use a TB port as a USB 3.0 hub. I'm pretty sure it will be amazing...

There are several items coming out that are multi-port that will work well for newer Macs and thus, no need to bother with a TB Apple monitor. Having a monitor that does DVId is all one really needs for newer and older Macs. Naturally, this is just opinion and how we each find logical use of such devices.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
There are several items coming out that are multi-port that will work well for newer Macs and thus, no need to bother with a TB Apple monitor. Having a monitor that does DVId is all one really needs for newer and older Macs. Naturally, this is just opinion and how we each find logical use of such devices.

I think the TBD is better for new macs because the TB port allows you to have just ONE able connected to it. If you want to use DVI monitors you have to hook usb, fw etc... to the monitor in order to use them

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

No, the Apple LED Cinema Display has a mini-Displayport connector, not HDMI, so it would plug straight in to a 2010 Mac Mini, and will also work in with newer Thunderbolt macs. I've used it on 2010 (DP) and 2011 (TB) MacBook Pros with no issues - can't speak for rMBPs but haven't seen anybody complaining.

Like the TBD it includes a USB hub, camera, microphone, magsafe power supply for laptops and a half-decent speaker system. It lacks the TBD's Ethernet, Firewire and Thunderbolt-out ports and needs an additional USB connection to run the camera, USB hub and speakers.

Its probably the only solution if you want something that will work on both DP and TB Macs, but at the same price as the Thunderbolt display its looking rather expensive.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Just a word of warning, I just got my Monoprice CrystalPro 27 and I can't get it work with my Mac Mini (late 2012). I have the Official Apple Mini-Display Port to Dual DVI connector and it will see the monitor on boot, but the monitor cycles on and off about every 10 seconds. The monitor is AWESOME/Perfect/No-Dead Pixels/Works with my Windows 7 box. Just a no-go for my Mac so far :(

Dual Link DVI is generally a pain in the arse and I would recommend to anybody to avoid if at all possible.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Just a word of warning, I just got my Monoprice CrystalPro 27 and I can't get it work with my Mac Mini (late 2012).
I've considered the monoprice monitor but I just can't get over the look of it.

I think the TBD is better for new macs because the TB port allows you to have just ONE able connected to it.
I'd like to reduce as much clutter as possible, so Apple displays really fit what I'm looking for.

No, the Apple LED Cinema Display has a mini-Displayport connector, not HDMI, so it would plug straight in to a 2010 Mac Mini, and will also work in with newer Thunderbolt macs. I've used it on 2010 (DP) and 2011 (TB) MacBook Pros with no issues - can't speak for rMBPs but haven't seen anybody complaining.
Exactly, I can't believe the price is not lower. I'd get the cinema display but I was hoping for at least usb 3.0 connections.

I guess there is no perfect monitor for what I'm looking for yet. Maybe I should really just get the 27" iMac.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I think the TBD is better for new macs because the TB port allows you to have just ONE able connected to it. If you want to use DVI monitors you have to hook usb, fw etc... to the monitor in order to use them

The question then comes to what people want in cabling - multitude from their computer, or monitor or a box placed elsewhere. To each their own. Candidly I find it sad that Apple doesn't have USB 3 on the TB Monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.