Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Since yesterday, I haven't been able to connect to iTunes. I can't update apps, download apps, or view the iTunes Store on my iPhone or my MacBook Pro.

I've tried restarting both, but hasn't helped. I have no issues connecting to wifi on either, nor to my cellular network on my iPhone. All other Internet tasks work fine, but I cannot access anything to do with my apple account.

Any ideas? I've spoken to apple support but so far they have not been helpful.

iPhone 5 on iOS 6.1.3
MBP (2009) on 10.8.3

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Sounds like your itunes account may have been hijacked and you have lost access to it. Contact apple support with that direction. Ask them to reset your password.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Sounds like your itunes account may have been hijacked and you have lost access to it. Contact apple support with that direction. Ask them to reset your password.

I can go to store.apple.com and log on fine. If I try to even pull up my account in iTunes or the App Store it just closes the account page before anything happens.

I've tried speaking with apple support and they refused to think the problem was anything other than a problem with my wifi connection.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Oh, LOL! Did they explain why you could get to the website with the same wifi they say is not working? Gotta love those tech support scripts!

Now I have a clearer sense of the issue. I'll try something here and BRB with an idea.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Oh, LOL! Did they explain why you could get to the website with the same wifi they say is not working? Gotta love those tech support scripts!

Now I have a clearer sense of the issue. I'll try something here and BRB with an idea.

Much appreciated. And nope, they did not address that my wifi is working fine. Have sent them a better explanation, will hopefully hear back soon..this is frustrating..

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
From http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1368

"If you haven't been able to connect to the iTunes Store, a software conflict or your internet service provider (ISP) may be blocking your access.

Update iTunes to the latest version.

If you have a firewall, your settings may be preventing you from connecting to the iTunes Store. To configure your firewall, please refer to the "Blocked by firewall" section in this article.

You may need to reset your keychain. Connection issues are occasionally caused by keychain issues. Click here to find out how to use Keychain First Aid to resolve any issues with your keychain.

If you are receiving a specific error message you may want to see, the "Specific Conditions and Alert Messages" section in this article as needed.

If the issue still persists, contact your internet service provider and confirm that the ports and servers in this article are enabled over your network."

It looks like itunes uses 5 other ports in addition to the usual web's port 80 (which we know you have no problem with because you can get to apple.com). If the issue truly were a port blocking by your ISP, connecting by cellular would get around that and you *could* connect to itunes from your phone over cell.

Let's make sure your phone really is connecting over cellular and not wifi by turning off wifi on the phone, closing all your open apps, and rebooting the phone. Make sure wifi is still off and try to connect to itunes.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Did that, not working.

I did the fix someone else suggested (changing DNS to 8.8.8.8) but this only worked for a few minutes and only on the one wifi network. Once I changed location and was connected to a different wifi network it no longer worker, not when I returned to that network.

This is so frustrating. Can't update apps from my phone or computer..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.