Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Retina MacBook Pro and MacBook Airs from 2012 on incorporate the thinner MagSafe 2 power port, requiring the use of a small MagSafe to MagSafe 2 Converter in order to use the computers with older power adapters.

magsafekeyring.jpg
The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring is designed to prevent the loss of the MagSafe Converter by connecting it to a set of keys. Printed from stainless steel, the Key Ring attaches to the Converter using its internal magnet. We asked the creator, Jonathan Bobrow, about the strength of the magnetic hold:
It holds very well. I have been wearing it on my exposed keychain (carabiner) around NYC through crowds and subways and have not had an issue. The magnet is shockingly strong and really relies on the torque of the cable to get loose (i.e if you pull the cable straight, you can still knock your laptop to the ground).
The MagSafe Adapter Key Ring is available from Shapeways and is priced at $15.00.

Article Link: MagSafe Adapter Key Ring Connects MagSafe Converter to Keys

peteullo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
Scranton, PA
Amazing.. I literally was just saying to myself yesterday "I wish Apple put a hole in this so I could attach it to something and not lose it!"

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Was thinking about doing this for the Digital AV Adapter (whilst also making the Digital AV Adapter shorter).

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Amazing.. I literally was just saying to myself yesterday "I wish Apple put a hole in this so I could attach it to something and not lose it!"

And there was me thinking that leaving it connected to the MagSafe 2 was all that was necessary...

...Nope, still thinking that.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010

I was thinking the same thing--I usually put it on the end of a USB cord or something though :)

derangedcow

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2012
$15 is fine... I've already lost 2 converters. I'm always accepting of anyone who calls me an idiot for losing 2, but man they are tiiiiny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.