Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlepigs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Ask Siri what the first day of Sping is and Siri responds with March 22.

Android correctly responds that it is March 20.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Everyone quick! To the life rafts. I"ll call 911 and the coast guard. Someone contact Men in Black 1-3.

STAT!

Ok, all joking aside.
Actually, the first day of spring is set to start on the vernal equinox. NOT automatically the 20th of March every year. Some years it starts on the 21st, others on the 20th.

Where the 22nd came up is beyond me. But what difference does it make? None.....

----------

Seriously though, Siri is a gimmick at best.

I find myself using it quite often while driving. Being hands free, it allows me to perform almost all tasks without looking away from the road or touching the phone. So I'll disagree with the "is a gimmick at best". It might be for you and others, but for me I find it quite useful.

Also, my father is blind and it helps him answer texts, make phone calls, weather, etc. Well worth the money if it makes his life any easier.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

So you rushed over to the MacRumor forum and posted ( 1st time ever PIGGIE ) to tell us about something that is not important. Nothing better to do today OP ?

Good-by :p

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Where the 22nd came up is beyond me. But what difference does it make? None.....

----------

Also, my father is blind and it helps him answer texts, make phone calls, weather, etc. Well worth the money if it makes his life any easier.

So his life is "easier" when the phone tells him the wrong temperature, mis-types text messages, and calls the wrong person?

After all, Siri making mistakes makes matters "none," so I guess you're cool if it did all that to your dad?

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008

Funny, I just asked the question and it came back with March 20,
Perhaps its your accent?

----------

So his life is "easier" when the phone tells him the wrong temperature, mis-types text messages, and calls the wrong person?

After all, Siri making mistakes makes matters "none," so I guess you're cool if it did all that to your dad?

I don't seem to have those problems. Wow, it's amazing how well this answer works... Funny, maybe it's your accent?

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't seem to have those problems. Wow, it's amazing how well this answer works... Funny, maybe it's your accent?

What does my accent have to do with his dad?

The question is not "does he have problems," but rather "would you be annoyed if he did have problems?"

So go ahead and let me know: Would you be annoyed if iceterminal's dad had trouble with Siri? I had thought that only iceterminal could answer that one, but perhaps you have your own opinion on his dad.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Confirmed:

2aguqeze.jpg

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.

It helps him communicate. Wrong temperature? Really? haha Step outside. He's retired and plays golf. But it will tell him the forecast, etc.
Compare it to what he has without it. With it he has more freedom.
You can slam it all you want to. I'm not saying its perfect. But I challenge you to spend 3 days blind with no help. Then do another 3 days with Siri.

As for calling the wrong person, not sure he's had a problem with that. Maybe because he's 73 and enunciates better than us younger generations. Plus, since he's retired and bored he's willing to talk to anyone. LOL :D

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
For me it redefines the question as "when is the next vernal equinox?" and returns 8:41 AM on 23 September, instead of midnight on 1 September (we align the seasons with month boundaries here). Whether that's the right date/time for the equinox or not, I couldn't say.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Maybe because he's 73 and enunciates better than us younger generations.

Why do people keep bringing up enunciation? It's very clear from the screenshot here that Siri understands the Spring question perfectly well. It just gives an answer 2 days off.

If your dad tells Siri to set an appointment in his calendar and it saves it 2 days off, wouldn't that be a big freak'n problem? Given how much your dad depends on it I'm shocked that you'd be ok with things just being told to him on the wrong day. That seems particularly nasty in his case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And there was a whole recent Android OS version update that was missing the whole month of December completely. Bugs happen, pretty much everywhere and always. Doesn't really mean much one way or another.

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
I just called Apple and told them I'll be returning my iPhone 5 due to this occurrence. Going back to Android!

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Why do people keep bringing up enunciation? It's very clear from the screenshot here that Siri understands the Spring question perfectly well. It just gives an answer 2 days off.

If your dad tells Siri to set an appointment in his calendar and it saves it 2 days off, wouldn't that be a big freak'n problem? Given how much your dad depends on it I'm shocked that you'd be ok with things just being told to him on the wrong day. That seems particularly nasty in his case.

I brought it up because it is a problem. Some persons with poor enunciation (saying 'dis' instead of "this") will cause a problem with almost every speech program. Even the highly awarded Dragon.
You're more than welcome to continue to slam siri all day long. It doesn't bother me at all.
I only wish for you to acknowledge that your problems with it does not mean that everyone has those same problems.

Lastly, when creating an appointment for June 7th. It saves the appointment on June 7th. Never has it made it on June 9th. So I'm not sure how you come up with an appointment several days away.
I'm assuming you're meaning "make an appointment on the first day of spring", in which my retort is this....no one that I am aware of makes appointments on a calendar based upon a specific equinox. Usually they specify an exact date and time. From my experience, its never been wrong nor days off.

Again, your experience is yours. Mine is mine. My fathers is my fathers. They're all different. You're welcome to try blindness without using speech as an assistant if you wish. My father already has.
And no, siri isn't perfect. But its better than a pile of poop in your hand.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So I'm not sure how you come up with an appointment several days away.
I'm assuming you're meaning "make an appointment on the first day of spring", in which my retort is this....no one that I am aware of makes appointments on a calendar based upon a specific equinox.

No, I'm specifically referring to when you said that it doesn't matter if Siri tells you a date that's 2 days wrong.

I maintain that 2 days is a pretty freaking big difference and that it DOES matter.

My comments have nothing to do with my experience with Siri, as you seem to assume. Siri works fine for me and I'm not sure why you think it doesn't. Rather, all of my comments are based entirely on your comment of you being ok with Siri making a 2 day error.

I wouldn't be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.