Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
The glass doesn't sit on directly on top of the LCD as it does on the iPhone 5. There is some space and it is normal.

stokietom1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
The glass doesn't sit on directly on top of the LCD as it does on the iPhone 5. There is some space and it is normal.

Thanks, it's just I asked on another forum as well and people there said that theirs didn't do it and told me to get a replacement that's why I asked.

If anyone else could confirm that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Mine does it. I just replaced my mini today and never noticed it on the first one.

This kind of bothers me a little. Can anyone else confirm this is normal?

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Yes, this is normal. There is a small gap between the digitizer glass and the LCD underneath. The glass is thin, so you are able to bend it a bit. It is nothing to worry about at all.

stokietom1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
Yes, this is normal. There is a small gap between the digitizer glass and the LCD underneath. The glass is thin, so you are able to bend it a bit. It is nothing to worry about at all.

Thanks so this happens with all iPad Minis and its nothing to worry about ?

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Thanks so this happens with all iPad Minis and its nothing to worry about ?

I dont own a mini but i dont think that bendable glass is something "not" to worry about. Comparing to my tough as a rock fullsized Ipad glass, I fear the mini might not be able to take as much beating as the fullsized but i have yet to see any report about broken mini glass when press too hard.

stokietom1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 25, 2013
I dont own a mini but i dont think that bendable glass is something "not" to worry about. Comparing to my tough as a rock fullsized Ipad glass, I fear the mini might not be able to take as much beating as the fullsized but i have yet to see any report about broken mini glass when press too hard.

One other thing I've noticed is that when the iPad is locked so it's just a black screen, even the slightest tap will make the screen 'flex'.

Really starting to question the QC of these devices now...

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad Mini screen flexed a lot and typing on it made it sound like i was tapping on the side of an empty hollow Solo plastic cup. i don't know why they didn't fuse the glass to the LCD screen itself like they do on the iPhone. on my iPhone there is no flexing - the glass is secured very well. on my iPad 3 - very very minimal flex, the glass is secured on tight as well

my iPad Mini - the way the glass was secured was a giant joke

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
One other thing I've noticed is that when the iPad is locked so it's just a black screen, even the slightest tap will make the screen 'flex'.

Really starting to question the QC of these devices now...

Thats nothing to do with QC, the glass was designed to be flexible.

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
I was wondering about this. I have since returned my mini and went back to full size, but when I had it, my wife played with it a bit and when she gave it back to me, she said "I wonder if I broke it?" and showed me the flex. I was sure she hadn't, but I couldn't remember if my iPad 3 did the same so I didn't raise a stink. But I do remember thinking that the quality was a bit subpar.

----------

Thats nothing to do with QC, the glass was designed to be flexible.

Then the design is a joke. Who wants it to sound like a solo cup when you type on it?

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....

I saw an episode from Always On about iPad mini's glass durability. Compared to iPad 4, iPad mini suffered glass breakage more easily. That is one of the main reasons I was not able to make myself want to buy it. (the other thing is the lack of retina display).

Corax

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
Willemstad - Curaçao
I have a mini, and I checked the glass on mine, and it is by far not as fexible as shown in the OP's posted YouTube video. The glass from my mini is very sturdy and doesn't feel cheap or like tapping on a plastic cup.

jschu22

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Ive somewhat combated this problem (the one thing I hate about the mini) by putting a Spigen glas.t on it. Expensive solution, but I also love the feel of glass vs plastic screen protectors.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I came across this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bKs6JAuDjQ&feature=youtu.be

And noticed my iPad mini screen has the same effect when pressure is applied to it aswell.

Can someone confirm that this is normal please?

it is NOT normal. take it back. but don't be surprised if your replacement does the same thing. they went with really really thin glass and didn't fuse it to the actual screen. giant epic fail

whenever i typed on it it sounded like i was tapping on a plastic cup. i said no thanks and returned it. oh and i also had pretty bad blacklight bleeding

Attachments

• ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 217

Han Solo 1

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2013
it is NOT normal. take it back. but don't be surprised if your replacement does the same thing. they went with really really thin glass and didn't fuse it to the actual screen. giant epic fail

whenever i typed on it it sounded like i was tapping on a plastic cup. i said no thanks and returned it. oh and i also had pretty bad blacklight bleeding

My backlight bleeding was even worse than that! I took it back to get a replacement and decided to just pay the difference and get the iPad 4, after deliberating on the retina vs. non-retina debate going on in my head.

I can't believe they didn't fuse the glass to the screen. That's ridiculous.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My backlight bleeding was even worse than that! I took it back to get a replacement and decided to just pay the difference and get the iPad 4, after deliberating on the retina vs. non-retina debate going on in my head.

I can't believe they didn't fuse the glass to the screen. That's ridiculous.

Full sized iPads don't have the glass and LCD fused together either, so what are you talking about??

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Full sized iPads don't have the glass and LCD fused together either, so what are you talking about??

on the iPhone they do

i believe the only reason why they didn't do it on the iPad is by not fusing it together it absorbs shock better and is less likely to crack. i bet with a piece of glass that big fused directly to the LCD, an insignificant drop would result in a screen crack/shatter

now even with that said, the glass on the iPad Mini is unecessarily thin. i know they were shooting for a thin design, but in doing so they have created the illusion of a cheap product. i don't want a tablet that sounds like a plastic cup, i want a silenced thud everytime i tap on it while typing. the regular iPad is solid, the iPad Mini not all

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
on the iPhone they do

i believe the only reason why they didn't do it on the iPad is by not fusing it together it absorbs shock better and is less likely to crack. i bet with a piece of glass that big fused directly to the LCD, an insignificant drop would result in a screen crack/shatter

now even with that said, the glass on the iPad Mini is unecessarily thin. i know they were shooting for a thin design, but in doing so they have created the illusion of a cheap product. i don't want a tablet that sounds like a plastic cup, i want a silenced thud everytime i tap on it while typing. the regular iPad is solid, the iPad Mini not all

Well this is an ipad thread, not iPhone....this info I already knew.
Secondly, who are you to make such broad comments such as "the glass is unnecessarily thin". Did you help design it? There is nothing cheap about the Mini in my opinion..the tap sound is that of tapping on thin glass...which it is..if you compare it to a plastic cup,,that's your issue. Try using the soft part of your fingers or thumbs instead of your nail.,,then it doesn't sound like a cup! Like certain parts of the body...everyone has an opinion! If you don't want "a cheap sounding tap", buy another brand!

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Why is everyone on these forums so freaking hostile? Lots of Apple owners are angry. Wonder why. . . .

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Well this is an ipad thread, not iPhone....this info I already knew.

really? no way.........good one.

as a FYI i mentioned the iPhone and full size iPad for screen comparison purposes. why? b/c Apple made both of those devices with sturdy screens that do not flex.

Secondly, who are you to make such broad comments such as "the glass is unnecessarily thin". Did you help design it? There is nothing cheap about the Mini in my opinion..the tap sound is that of tapping on thin glass...which it is..if you compare it to a plastic cup,,that's your issue. Try using the soft part of your fingers or thumbs instead of your nail.,,then it doesn't sound like a cup! Like certain parts of the body...everyone has an opinion! If you don't want "a cheap sounding tap", buy another brand!

my right to share my opinion in agreement with the OP of the iPad Mini screen flexing too much (a result of the glass being too thin and sounding like tapping on a plastic hollow cup) is just as valid as your obnoxious "if you don't like it, go buy something else" reply. perhaps there were defective iPad Minis out there where the screen was significantly warped. all i know is that my iPad Mini screen flex wasn't even nearly as bad as what's in the video above and i found mine to be unacceptable and contributed to me returning it (among other things, such as light bleed). and when i type i don't use my finger nail...i use my finger. but thanks for the tip...

seeing how this is a thread to discuss iPad Mini screen flexing and you have already shared your opinion of "it's normal, if you don't like it buy something else", i question what purpose you have for nitpicking peoples' posts in here? there is no justification to get antagonistic and hostile towards forum members that you happen to disagree with. if you have another opinion, that's great for you. there is no need to attempt to put others down to make yourself feel good

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
really? no way.........good one.

as a FYI i mentioned the iPhone and full size iPad for screen comparison purposes. why? b/c Apple made both of those devices with sturdy screens that do not flex.

my right to share my opinion in agreement with the OP of the iPad Mini screen flexing too much (a result of the glass being too thin and sounding like tapping on a plastic hollow cup) is just as valid as your obnoxious "if you don't like it, go buy something else" reply. perhaps there were defective iPad Minis out there where the screen was significantly warped. all i know is that my iPad Mini screen flex wasn't even nearly as bad as what's in the video above and i found mine to be unacceptable and contributed to me returning it (among other things, such as light bleed). and when i type i don't use my finger nail...i use my finger. but thanks for the tip...

seeing how this is a thread to discuss iPad Mini screen flexing and you have already shared your opinion of "it's normal, if you don't like it buy something else", i question what purpose you have for nitpicking peoples' posts in here? there is no justification to get antagonistic and hostile towards forum members that you happen to disagree with. if you have another opinion, that's great for you. there is no need to attempt to put others down to make yourself feel good

I am just saying that any iPad Mini I have used doesn't have flexing to the same extent as these supposed ones being discussed here do. I have the right to answer how I please. Your "written in stone" assumptions about design and so called flaws is just extremely irritating. Especially the plastic cup thing...it's really ridiculous. You have the right to think what you wish of course, but I don't have time to think about plastic cups or design flaws, I just use the device for my uses, unless it is faulty and then it will be returned for an exchange. On a different note though,,,the Mini would be better with a bonded digitiser/LCD like the iPhone 4 upwards...for many reason, tapping sound not being one of them...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.