Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
It appears that NBC is grooming Jimmy Fallon to take over for Jay Leno by 2014 and move The Tonight Show back to NYC. Of course Leno could throw another hissy fit and get the show back.
The network has made a commitment to Mr. Fallon, the current host of its “Late Night” program, for him to succeed Jay Leno as the next host of “Tonight,” according to several senior television executives involved in the decision. As part of the agreement, the show would move from Burbank, Calif., back to New York, where it started in 1954 with Steve Allen as host.

NBC has not completed a deal with Mr. Fallon yet, but his assent is considered mostly a formality, since the move would represent a significant step up for him. And the network has not settled on an exact timetable for the switch, though it is expected to take place by fall 2014 at the latest, said the executives, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because discussions were still continuing.

One senior executive who has been involved in the discussions said on Wednesday that “there is no way on earth that this is not going to happen.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/b...new-york-with-fallon.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I read that. LOL

Will the big chin guy ever just retire.
Kimmel's ratings are up, Letterman is set to retire in a few years. NBC will fall behind in the younger audience. Lets say it's Kimmel and Fallon going after the younger crowd, where does Ferguson fit in.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Kimmel's ratings are up, Letterman is set to retire in a few years. NBC will fall behind in the younger audience. Lets say it's Kimmel and Fallon going after the younger crowd, where does Ferguson fit in.

Ferguson will probably keep his time slot. He does other stuff too. Movies. Don't think he would be too worried. If you ever watch Ferguson you'd know he tries his best to upset the CBS applecart.

I'm ticked off that he has retired the rabbit. I used to love those puppets.

But Leno ? I have no love for him at all. I wish he were gone.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I kinda figured Ferguson would replace Letterman. But I'm not sure if Ferguson could get away with some of the raunchier humor he does at the earlier time slot. I'd like to see Ferguson replace Letterman, but only if he doesn't have to tone it down, because he's great. The only late night guy I watch with any regularity.

Leno has never been funny. Never will be. Take him off the air for good this time.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Well, he had a pretty good run and even managed to make a comeback once. I don't think most of us would feel too sorry for him if this were the end of the line. Were I in his shoes, I'd go quietly into retirement and relish my millions.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Ferguson will probably keep his time slot. He does other stuff too. Movies. Don't think he would be too worried. If you ever watch Ferguson you'd know he tries his best to upset the CBS applecart.

I'm ticked off that he has retired the rabbit. I used to love those puppets.

But Leno ? I have no love for him at all. I wish he were gone.
CBS owns the Ed Sullivan Theatre, would they move Ferguson to NY to take over for Dave? I think Craig is the best of the late night hosts. But as said, can his humor translate to 11:30.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
CBS owns the Ed Sullivan Theatre, would they move Ferguson to NY to take over for Dave? I think Craig is the best of the late night hosts. But as said, can his humor translate to 11:30.

They could.

But what about Lady Mary ? Lord Mathew has died in an auto accident but he was able to save the Abbey.

:D

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
This won't work - again - unless NBC commits to Fallon for the long term.

He is going to flop at the beginning just like Conan. His style and humor is just so quirky and different from Leno's 'every day man/woman' sort of humor, that it's not going to be received well. In some ways he's a little less odd than Conan, and in others he's even goofier.

I think Fallon could make it work in the long term, but as we saw with Conan, are the executives willing to wait out an immediate plummet in the ratings for a potential long term success?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Ironically, Leno hosts the only show on NBC that consistently wins its time slot week after week.

I think NBC executives are just pissed off because he won't quit bashing the network.

“For the first time in history NBC is going to finish fifth in the ratings period,” Mr. Leno said. “We are behind the Spanish-language network Univision — or as we call it here in Los Angeles: Cinco de Ratings.” He added a series of rapid-fire jokes about how bad off NBC is including: “It’s so bad, ‘The Biggest Loser’ isn’t just a TV show anymore; it’s our new motto.” And: “It’s so bad, NBC called Manti Te’o and asked him to bring in some imaginary viewers.”

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...-and-leno-said-to-have-clashed-over-jokes/?hp

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Kimmel is creeping up on Jay and NBC knows it. Just as Letterman won't be there forever at some point Leno has to call it quits. I think the brass at Comcast want to see Leno gone. He might be in the lead for now, (still not sure how that is possible as he sucks.) But the younger crowd doesn't care for Leno and that is the market NBC wants.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Kimmel is creeping up on Jay and NBC knows it. Just as Letterman won't be there forever at some point Leno has to call it quits. I think the brass at Comcast want to see Leno gone. He might be in the lead for now, (still not sure how that is possible as he sucks.) But the younger crowd doesn't care for Leno and that is the market NBC wants.

Who says?

Look, I don't care for Leno either. But, according to the NYT, he is consistently winning the 18 to 49 age group every week.

"So far, Mr. Leno has continued to win consistently in almost every rating category, including among viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, the chief target for late-night advertisers. Mr. Kimmel won his first week against Mr. Leno in that category, but Mr. Leno has won every week since."

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Winning is winning. You don't push out your only show host that's winning their time slot --- especially if you are in a sorry state like NBC.
NBC “Tonight,” 3.5 million viewers

CBS “Late Show,” 3.1 million viewers

ABC “Kimmel,” 2.7 million viewers**

12:35-1:05 a.m. ET

ABC “Nightline,” 1.6 million viewers**

12:35-1:35 a.m. ET

NBC “Late Night,” 1.7 million viewers

CBS “Late Late Show,” 1.5 million viewers

1:35-2:05 a.m. ET

NBC “Last Call,” 0.9 million viewers

** Since January 8.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
He is moving to FOX network
I can't see Fox spending money for Leno who is at the end of his career.

The reason Fox didn't go after Conan was because the locals want the syndication money they get after late news.

NBC won't be kicking Leno out, they are just not going to renew his contract in 2014.

sambredeson

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Chicago, IL (Oak Park)
Who says?

Look, I don't care for Leno either. But, according to the NYT, he is consistently winning the 18 to 49 age group every week.

"So far, Mr. Leno has continued to win consistently in almost every rating category, including among viewers between the ages of 18 and 49, the chief target for late-night advertisers. Mr. Kimmel won his first week against Mr. Leno in that category, but Mr. Leno has won every week since."

The 18 to 49 age group? So, essentially everyone who watches TV at 11:30 at night? Don't let them fool you, that age bracket is specifically designed to not mean anything. The TV-watching habits of 18-year-olds and 49-year-olds are completely different, and they have no business being lumped into one grouping.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The 18 to 49 age group? So, essentially everyone who watches TV at 11:30 at night? Don't let them fool you, that age bracket is specifically designed to not mean anything. The TV-watching habits of 18-year-olds and 49-year-olds are completely different, and they have no business being lumped into one grouping.
The ratings system as a whole is a joke and worthless. The system is outdated and doesn't give accurate numbers.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
The ratings system as a whole is a joke and worthless. The system is outdated and doesn't give accurate numbers.

Agreed. As more and more people drop cable and go with streaming, the system fails a little more. The younger generation doesn't care when a program airs, they will stream it whenever they're ready.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Who says?

And the fact that he's winning with such a weak NBC lineup is pretty amazing. I don't really care for him but Comcast may be jumping the gun here.

And it's not NBC that wants the younger viewers, it's what the advertisers pay for.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

The article was pointing out he was winning all of those demographics. Nielsen breaks them out accordingly into individual groups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.