Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
hi. just wondering if anyone knows of a good site where short video clips are available for free download?

i'm thinking of stuff that lasts maybe 10 seconds and would be used as a background for text. the background video is just to fill the space and to create a mood.

if you know of such sites, please post them here; i'd love to check them out for a new project on the horizon.

thanks!

Kattym

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2013
Well, there are site allowing to load the files. But the main question is if the owners of such videos allow you to use and change the files for free. I have never heard of such services.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
hi. just wondering if anyone knows of a good site where short video clips are available for free download?

i'm thinking of stuff that lasts maybe 10 seconds and would be used as a background for text. the background video is just to fill the space and to create a mood.

if you know of such sites, please post them here; i'd love to check them out for a new project on the horizon.

thanks!

I believe all the NASA footage is free to use as it's a publicly funded body.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
First, a friend of mine got some pretty usable video from this youtube channel. It's all CC-Attribute, so you can use it in whatever way if you give credit or link to the channel.

Also it might be interesting for you that you can search for videos that have a Creative Commons license in different search engines:

1. The Creative Commons search engine (mainly for youtube).

2. In Google Advanced Search, you can (at the very bottom) restrict the search to a certain license model.

3. Archive has a pretty big collection of royalty free material. Although the quality is variable...

Hope that helps.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
awesome; thank you very much for the useful suggestions, especially floh.

thank you, thank you, thank you :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Keep in mind that royalty free is not the same as free to use. Royalty free just means you pay once as opposing to having to pay royalties (i.e. a cut of whatever you make going to copyright owner).

Lethal

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
good point. now i'm wondering if i'll go in another direction. am thinking of just using video footage that i shot and adding a texture/layer to blur it. like i said, i'm just thinking of adding a background for ending credits.

regardless, thanks all for the tips!

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
good point. now i'm wondering if i'll go in another direction.

While it is correct that "royalty free" doesn't mean you don't have to pay for it, "Creative Commons License" (CC) does mean exactly this. So maybe your question is not perfectly formulated, but what you are looking for exists. There are many different CC license models. Some allow you to reuse the clip exactly as is if you give credit. Others allow you to use and manipulate it however you wish and give credit as long as you don't sell it for money. Some even allow you to do anything you want. But they are all free of charge. Ever.

All videos on youtube with a CC license (which are most of the links I posted) will have a CC-BY license. This means: You can use, remix and share them and even make money off them if you only give credit to the original. So you'll be fine using any of these.

Creative Commons is a really great invention that allows content creator to let people use their stuff without running into legal trouble (since it has a good internationally valid license). And on their site (with the link I posted), you can even search for projects that registered there.

----------

Also, this channel seems pretty great of you're looking for moving light artificial background stuff. All CC-BY and all usable without any fees:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MovingBacksProducts

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.