Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
But on to my (somewhat cheating) question:

What software/Pshopping/settings/lighting equipment do you think he used to make the difference with this particular shot?

Just a quick look, but I'd say there was at least 3 lights. Main light to the left and just a bit higher than eye height (from the camera's perspective), one tucked in behind the fellow and aimed at the background, one to right and slightly further back than the main light, aimed at the fellow's back.

Haven't decided if there is a fourth softer light just above the camera acting as a fill, or whether it is just a big reflector.

Don't know about the Ps techniques. But keep in mind that in the "good ol' days" a photographer was expected to be able to shoot this onto a transparency.... no post-production required. So, I would say that if the photographer was good enough, then the Ps work could have been minimal.

Thanks for sharing that article!

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Over on this page, the photographer says:
I use all small portable flashes, Some Vivitars, Lumopro's and if I need some thing bigger I have some Alien Bees on hand.

Further down the replies he also says:
My goal is to have it stand out or pop out what is usually a dark or cluttered background. These are all done on site and normally I cannot stop production or move things around. That is why I use very small flashes like Vivitar 285's and Lumopros for quick setup. Most images are created in a few minutes.

I have no idea how many flashes he used to make the picture you queried about, but did find his replies/comments interesting. No taking hours fussing over lighting setups.

I'm currently doing a flash photography module in my course because I have to, I'll never use it afterwards, I much prefer the simplicity of my 5-in-1 reflectors and considering I don't do people shots, I have no need to lug around lighting.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Over on this page, the photographer says:

Further down the replies he also says:

I have no idea how many flashes he used to make the picture you queried about, but did find his replies/comments interesting. No taking hours fussing over lighting setups.

I'm currently doing a flash photography module in my course because I have to, I'll never use it afterwards, I much prefer the simplicity of my 5-in-1 reflectors and considering I don't do people shots, I have no need to lug around lighting.

Have fun using your fancy 5-in-1 reflectors when there's no light to reflect.

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
Have fun using your fancy 5-in-1 reflectors when there's no light to reflect.

Sorry? The Sun is about to extinguish once and for all? :eek:

There is this amazing device called a tripod and they even fold up these days, they allow you to take long exposure shots to get more light down the barrel of the lens and onto the sensor. Perfect for overcast days.

WTF dude? Why get all pi$$y because I don't feel the need to use flashes? I don't do people shots or insects or anything else that requires them, my bad... :eek:

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
I think one high on the left to create the shadow from the hard hat and the reflection on the red pipes, and a kicker behind him/to the right. Maybe a fill coming in from the right to put some shine on that blue thing and while accentuating the shadows around his hands/legs/face.

Edit: Also used a longer lens.

Last edited:

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Not to cast a cloud into your sunny day... but the photographer we are talking about specialized in shooting in mines. Notable for not having many sunny days.

Bingo.

Not to mention the fallacy logic that only "certain content" requires lighting. He should just drop the course he's in right now, if he's absolutely sure he'll never need to apply the knowledge he's learning right now.

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
ijohn.8.80 only said that he doesn't see a need for artificial lighting for his style of photography. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't sound like he plans to specialize in shooting in mines.

Is lighting "only" for portraiture and macro? No, all photography is about light. But that doesn't mean that everyone has to use flash, strobes, etc. It's an artistic decision.

And to keep this post at least somewhat on-topic, I think the "crappy vs. snappy" idea is an interesting one and that the website does a nice job of illustrating differences that may be difficult to conceptualize but that are easy to see when comparing two photos (i.e., differences in composition, lighting, etc.).

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.