Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
SFBags Hint wallet/sleeve

I picked up this real leather wallet sleeve for $25, called the 'Hint'.
http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/hint-iphone.php

I have a Sena Ultra for the iPhone 5. Two things bother me about it. 1) it's a bit short...the top 1/8" of the phone sticks out...so is unprotected. 2) I'm constantly taking the phone out to check messages. That is a real pain...

So I'm trying the Hint, since it has a plastic window and is longer, fulling protecting the phone. Snug, but much easier to insert remove than the Sena. I love Sena and had them for my 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

The plastic works 'okay' to check locked screen messages and you can reply and type an email. But really, this is not a 24/7 bag...you wish to go naked and use this to protect the phone when 1) going through airport security, 2) traveling, 3) just not using the phone, or 4) at the gym..place for a key etc.

Fits in men's shirt pocket nicely. Case weights only 26 grams or 0.92 oz.

It also has an elastic band for some money and cards on the back..Or earphones. Inserted either way...I can hear the phone ring nicely.

Another real solution..going naked...what to do with the phone at the bedside. Naked is dangerous. My solution is to keep a case handy, that is easy to slip the phone inside, like the Slim Armor. Another solution is I found very small 3M Bumpons, or 4 slim feet for the back of the phone. Turns out the Hint fits the phone with the feet on, very nicely too! The bumpons are very practical for laying on the table too, during the day. And don't let the phone slip and give some grip in your hand. Either solution works well with the Hint.

Well made, sewing good quality. They could have made it with more rounded corners. Soft interior. The light sensor is not blocked when inserted with bottom end (earphone) on the top opening...other way inserted, the sensor is not blocked, but light needs to hit it at an angle for full brightness. May or may not be a problem for you.

So far I like it for it's slimness and ability to check notifications or calls without taking out of a normal wallet/pouch/sleeve cash. High quality real leather too!

Attachments

• DSC00745.JPG
    DSC00745.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 259
  • DSC00731.JPG
    DSC00731.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 216
  • DSC00737.JPG
    DSC00737.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 193
  • DSC00735.JPG
    DSC00735.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 228
  • DSC00740.JPG
    DSC00740.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 181
Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I picked up this real leather wallet sleeve for $25, called the 'Hint'.
http://www.sfbags.com/products/iphone-cases/hint-iphone.php

I have a Sena Ultra for the iPhone 5. Two things bother me about it. 1) it's a bit short...the top 1/8" of the phone sticks out...so is unprotected. 2) I'm constantly taking the phone out to check messages. That is a real pain...

So I'm trying the Hint, since it has a plastic window and is longer, fulling protecting the phone. Snug, but much easier to insert remove than the Sena. I love Sena and had them for my 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S.

The plastic works 'okay' to check locked screen messages and you can reply and type an email. But really, this is not a 24/7 bag...you wish to go naked and use this to protect the phone when 1) going through airport security, 2) traveling, 3) just not using the phone, or 4) at the gym..place for a key etc.

Fits in men's shirt pocket nicely. Case weights only 26 grams or 0.92 oz.

It also has an elastic band for some money and cards on the back..Or earphones. Inserted either way...I can hear the phone ring nicely.

Another real solution..going naked...what to do with the phone at the bedside. Naked is dangerous. My solution is to keep a case handy, that is easy to slip the phone inside, like the Slim Armor. Another solution is I found very small 3M Bumpons, or 4 slim feet for the back of the phone. Turns out the Hint fits the phone with the feet on, very nicely too! The bumpons are very practical for laying on the table too, during the day. And don't let the phone slip and give some grip in your hand. Either solution works well with the Hint.

Well made, sewing good quality. They could have made it with more rounded corners. Soft interior. The light sensor is not blocked when inserted with bottom end (earphone) on the top opening...other way inserted, the sensor is not blocked, but light needs to hit it at an angle for full brightness. May or may not be a problem for you.

So far I like it for it's slimness and ability to check notifications or calls without taking out of a normal wallet/pouch/sleeve cash. High quality real leather too!

Great review, just ordered one, have a Pal Atelier Mono but find it leaves leather dust on the phone when i take it in and out. Also a ikonic edge that came with faulty stitching. Will be good to see who is calling without taking out the phone.
Thanks

Last edited:

DEG1

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
N. Chicago Burbs
... Also a ikonic edge that came with faulty stitching....

Bet if you contact them they'll take care of it pronto. I've got the super slim card version and am very happy with it. My only gripe is their claim of 5 card capacity is far off the mark. With over a month of use, only two cards (driver's license, credit card) fit comfortably and allow easy insertion/removal of the IPhone 5.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Bet if you contact them they'll take care of it pronto. I've got the super slim card version and am very happy with it. My only gripe is their claim of 5 card capacity is far off the mark. With over a month of use, only two cards (driver's license, credit card) fit comfortably and allow easy insertion/removal of the IPhone 5.

Not really, i waited 2 weeks for the case originally, i sent them photos and they wanted me to send it back and they would repair the stitching, which would of been another 2 plus weeks and my cost for postage. They wouldn't send me a new one and then i send the faulty one back. Told them to shove it.
I ended up taking it to a leather guy to fix. Cant Even get $15 on ebay for it.
Great service.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Great review, just ordered one, have a Pal Atelier Mono but find it leaves leather dust on the phone when i take it in and out. Also a ikonic edge that came with faulty stitching. Will be good to see who is calling without taking out the phone.
Thanks

SFbags saw my review of the Hint, and said the slight blocking of the light sensor didn't seem right. Shipping me a new one today.

Great service!

BTW, Having no dust problems with the SFbags Hint. I DID have a huge problem with my last Sena Ultra though. This case works best if you have your Notifications set to 'view in Locked Screen'. Then you can see iMessage, Facebook, Mail, Tweets, News updates , etc.

Hint comes with a lifetime warranty, for normal use, not abusive use.

Last edited:

G0meZ

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Pad & Quill Little Pocket Book for iPhone5?

i would love to hear from ppl who use the Little Pocket Book for iPhone5 (http://www.padandquill.com/cases-fo...-iphone5/little-pocket-book-for-iphone-5.html)

figure the wooden case being a good idea as i will often carry it in my back pocket (is it strong enough to protect the phone from getting bent?)

but i wonder if the plasticcards will not scratch the screen...
asked the producer, and of course they said not to worry :rolleyes:

SoLongAndroid

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2013
I'm also interested as I was about to go pick up the Twelve South Book Book when I ran across the Little Pocket Book, in fact I have been watching reviews about it for the past 15 minutes trying to decide.

I like the outside of the Pocket Book more than the BookBook, but I like the inside of the BookBook more than the Pocket Book. Not an easy decision.

fdxgnd

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
i would love to hear from ppl who use the Little Pocket Book for iPhone5 (http://www.padandquill.com/cases-fo...-iphone5/little-pocket-book-for-iphone-5.html)

figure the wooden case being a good idea as i will often carry it in my back pocket (is it strong enough to protect the phone from getting bent?)

but i wonder if the plasticcards will not scratch the screen...
asked the producer, and of course they said not to worry :rolleyes:

Pm replied. I'm still using mine every day

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Hint leather sleeve

Here is a video review of sfbags Hint leather sleeve with a unique window on the front. $25 and real leather. Good quality, and I think good drop protection.

I got it last week, and find it very practical for protecting my naked phone when not in use.

I like that it is long enough to protect the end of the phone: my Sena Ultra Slim is a bit short and leaves the bevel and metal end exposed.

The screen works great for short SMS, email or browsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1wIJfR1Qs

darrinS

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
So Cal
Here is a video review of sfbags Hint leather sleeve with a unique window on the front. $25 and real leather. Good quality, and I think good drop protection.

I got it last week, and find it very practical for protecting my naked phone when not in use.

I like that it is long enough to protect the end of the phone: my Sena Ultra Slim is a bit short and leaves the bevel and metal end exposed.

The screen works great for short SMS, email or browsing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1wIJfR1Qs

I just don't like how the plastic front sticks to the iPhone screen. When I remove the iPhone I can see like oil smudges on the screen from this.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I just don't like how the plastic front sticks to the iPhone screen. When I remove the iPhone I can see like oil smudges on the screen from this.

Hmmm I don't see that at all. My screen is clean. But then I generally keep the screen clean. Mostly likely some fingerprint oils got on inside plastic surface and is doing that. Just clean the interior with a wipe.''

There would be no oil from the plastic.

Last edited:

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
It's a long way from California to Australia. I guess

My shipment and handling only took 3-4 says to Connecticut.

I guess they use snail mail otherwise no one would buy if the postage was more than the case? I have a few others so not worried. It can be done i had some ram from crucial get here in 5 days.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
It's a long way from California to Australia. I guess

My shipment and handling only took 3-4 says to Connecticut.

Arrived today, not a fan, straight on ebay, thats 3 leather wallets now, attelier pall, ikon, now this one. Think i will get the same case i had for my 4s below.

http://www.mobilezap.com.au/36347-p...le&referer=G&gclid=CJX11MPcvLYCFYcipQodIEcANg

or this

http://www.ide-home.com.au/leather/spigen-sgp-iphone-5-geniune-leather-case-argos-black/

Any one got either of those?

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Arrived today, not a fan, straight on ebay, thats 3 leather wallets now, attelier pall, ikon, now this one. Think i will get the same case i had for my 4s below.

http://www.mobilezap.com.au/36347-p...le&referer=G&gclid=CJX11MPcvLYCFYcipQodIEcANg

or this

http://www.ide-home.com.au/leather/spigen-sgp-iphone-5-geniune-leather-case-argos-black/

Any one got either of those?

I suspected that it wouldn't be the case for you, based on cases you have used and returned. Its a good rugged case, if you wish to go naked.

I've had flip cases, and one similar, but not the same brand as the Argos. On mine and a friends...it took only a few months for the non magnetic clasp to break. It is made from leather covered cardboard, and formed for it to close and hold...but it weakens and just fails completely over time.

Good luck on your quest!

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I suspected that it wouldn't be the case for you, based on cases you have used and returned. Its a good rugged case, if you wish to go naked.

I've had flip cases, and one similar, but not the same brand as the Argos. On mine and a friends...it took only a few months for the non magnetic clasp to break. It is made from leather covered cardboard, and formed for it to close and hold...but it weakens and just fails completely over time.

Good luck on your quest!

The piel frama is a good one had a 4S one, it sold on ebay no worries. I will give the hint to my son for his new iPod. Fits great and the back pocket is good for ear plugs. All good.

ryangoldfire

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2013
Atelier PALL iPhone 5 Wallets ver. 2.0

Anyone got the new Atelier PALL iPhone Wallet?
http://atelierpall.com/

They seem to have dropped the mono version. But the duo looks nice it has -1 layer of leather and a bottom hole for charging and pushing the phone out. They say the rolled edge now helps to push volume buttons. Cool :D Opinions?

902022_358486794255363_1604198065_o.jpg

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.