Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
FROM FERAL INTERACTIVE:

"Get ready for a dazzling motorsports experience. Get ready for GRID, where you’ll compete for glory in high-performance supercars on the world’s most spectacular tracks.

Yes, GRID, an exhilarating mix of sim realism and full-on arcade racing, will arrive on the Mac on March 28th fully juiced with the 8-Ball and Prestige DLC packs, LAN and online multiplayer and a large selection of supported steering wheels and gamepads."

Just wanted to let any Mac racing fans know that we are getting another racing game from Feral Interactive. Though the game is a bit older, it is still fun to play and should run great on OSX. Recently Feral has released Dirt2, F1 2012 and soon Grid. Nice ;)

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Hard to get excited when Grid 2 is just round the corner though...

I agree to a point, but I believe it is always better to get the games in the end. Though it is always nice to get the games a bit earlier like in the case of F1 2012. But Grid is still a great game and to be honest, as some here and other places know, I (along with a small percentage of other racers) am a stickler for cockpit view and Grid 2 will not have them. I love car visuals and racing from the cockpit view is a fantastic experience. I do understand the position that Codemasters takes on the series in relation to the cockpit view and I believe that the smaller portion of the base is not as important.

Now, having said that. I also believe that most people who play racing games do not use cockpit view and are faster using the external or bonnet/bumper cams. But I am not one of them. It just takes practice.;)

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
Grid was particularly brilliant in cockpit view - really grimy and shaky and scarily fast. The complete opposite of things like Gran Turismo or Forza, which look clean and sterile and very sim-like.

Removing the cockpit view so they can make 'higher resolution exterior textures' is no use to me, as I would never play a racing game with an exterior camera. Most games I use bumper cam, which might be okay, I guess, but for me Grid had the best implementation of cockpit view of any racing game, and it wasn't as exciting in any of the other camera modes.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Still, with every game like this coming for the Mac there is one reason less to have Boot Camp!

A couple of years ago, having any racing game on a Mac was a far-out dream.
Now with F1 2012, Dirt 2 and even GRID coming along, the dream has come true!

Me buying this one! :cool:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Just thought I would point out GRID is released under our LEGENDS brand which is specifically for older games that never got ported to the Mac the first time round.

They require lower specification than more modern games and come at a lower price tag. Also in this case the Mac version comes with all the DLC packs, the Windows version never got any of the DLC packs so that's a bonus if you owned the PC version.

Edwin

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 27, 2010
Just thought I would point out GRID is released under our LEGENDS brand which is specifically for older games that never got ported to the Mac the first time round.

They require lower specification than more modern games and come at a lower price tag. Also in this case the Mac version comes with all the DLC packs, the Windows version never got any of the DLC packs so that's a bonus if you owned the PC version.

Edwin

In all reality, I personally do not care if it is released under the legends brand or as a "new" game but I think a lot of people should understand that it is not meant to be a new release. But to me it is another racing game and a good one at that! And again, as I stated above, the game may be old, but it still looks beautiful and the lower specs should mean everything ON HIGH for me and my Macs!

Edwin, you know how I feel about racing games on the Mac and I know I am such a small developer that I do not make a dent in changing things for racing games on OSX, but you guys are absolutely kicking ass on getting them to the Mac. I don't care how old the games are, Macs and racing games are my obsession and Feral are feeding my addiction!:cool:

Hey, it will be released before Grid 2 comes out, so it will be just in time in my opinion ;)

Frozzie

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
Although I recognise hard work put by Feral and likes porting games into OS X, for me myself it is still not enough to purchase them for one reason - that there is no guarantee that they will port the sequels. For example, if I buy F1 2012, there is no certainty that I will be playing F1 2013 next year when it comes out, because Feral and likes will only port games 'selectively'. Which means I have to buy from Codemasters for F1 2013.

This is not pretty, messed up that some of my games are in 'Steam' collection, and some are in 'Feral' collection. I don't want it like that, all my F1 categories have to be either 'Steam' or in 'Feral' which feels more complete and less messy.

Having said that, if Feral could announce that they will port every one of F1 games or whatever franchise for successive sequels, it will be much more persuasive for me to buy their games.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009

Edwin

Whats the price?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Will we be able to use the Driving Force GT wheel with it?

Yes all our games support the Driving Force GT wheel. In fact you will be able to use our special utility to enable the 900 degree mode that is not normally available on the Mac.

Force feedback is supported by the game but Logitech no longer makes FFB drivers for the Mac.

Edwin

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
Does enabling 900 degrees stop the force feedback working?

Have you considered updating the old KEK yourselves, so you can release your own wheel drivers with each game?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Does enabling 900 degrees stop the force feedback working?

As force feedback support for Logitech devices is not in OS X 10.7 or 10.8 we can't disable something that does not exist. ;)

However to answer your question the 900 mode does stop the FFB hack from working. This is because the older drivers don't recognise the wheels as Logitech FFB when enabled in 900 mode. The extension is no longer supported by Apple or Logitech and we have no access to the source as it is proprietary we cannot change this.

Have you considered updating the old KEK yourselves, so you can release your own wheel drivers with each game?

We can't "update" a closed source proprietary extension that we don't have the source for any more than we can update Microsoft Office :)

Supporting ForceFeedback is something all our games currently do but writing force feedback drivers for each individual wheel (yes every wheel has subtly different commands) is not really a simple task.

We do already release a free utility that works with all games (not just Feral ones) that enables all the extra wheel features like 900 degree, clutch pedals and H gate gearboxes for most Logitech wheels which is more than Logitech do themselves on the Mac right now.

Writing a utility to support FFB for wheels and pads is an idea but the amount of work required to get a reliable and stable solution without the active support of the original manufacturers is not trivial. Every company has limited resources so we have to focus on making games first not writing drivers for other companies hardware. ;)

That said a utility to support FFB and other things is on our "if we have time" list. The 900 mode was also on that list so it's not impossible just unlikely in the medium term.

Edwin

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Thanks, as usual, Edwin for your insight to the wonderful world of racing on the Mac.
We have had this conversation before about FF - why do some people put FFB for that when it's only 2 words? - but I still find it amazing that there is no official support for it any longer in OS X.
Playing any racing game without FF is a joke, as it is impossible to get a feel for the track, and frankly, if hacking the old FF driver into OS X stopped working sometime in the future, I would be back running F1 2012, etc. under Parallels or Bootcamp.
Now that is something I would be very reluctant to do!
I know it's about money and resources and market demand, etc., but........

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks, as usual, Edwin for your insight to the wonderful world of racing on the Mac.

I know it's about money and resources and market demand, etc., but........

A fair few of my if we have time things have been done over the years, we now support over 100 gamepads, we have a utility for the 900 degree, clutch and gearbox wheels, we have support for popular mods in Empire, Rome, Railroads, we were one of the first games companies on the Mac to support the PS3 and 360 pads, games have built in automatic delta updates for over 5 years... and thats what instantly comes to mind ;)

They sometimes take a while to get done but we make slow but steady progress through the nice to have extras list in between our bread and butter of porting new games.

So keep the faith and perhaps down the line it might happen but not in the next few months!

Edwin

Imaginethe

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
UK
Yes all our games support the Driving Force GT wheel. In fact you will be able to use our special utility to enable the 900 degree mode that is not normally available on the Mac.

Force feedback is supported by the game but Logitech no longer makes FFB drivers for the Mac.

Edwin

Thanks! Hmm I think we need to petition Logitech ;)

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines … eh, no wait … start your downloads. GRID has arrived in the Mac App Store. :)

Better off buying it from the Feral web site, partly because I would imagine they will get a bigger share of the £17.50, plus, and most importantly, if/when there is a patch, you will get the delta, and not have to re-download the whole 8Gb from MAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.