Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has implemented a new two-step verification system for Apple IDs (via 9to5Mac), adding an additional layer of protection for Apple accounts with an extra security code and a "trusted" device.
Two-step verification will require you to verify your identity using one of your devices before you can make changes to your account or make an iTunes or App Store purchase from a new device. You will also get a Recovery Key for safekeeping which you can use to access your account if you ever forget your password or lose your device.
Once enabled, the new system replaces the standard security questions that are asked before users make purchases on a new device and password resets can only be done from the designated iPhone or iPad.

twostepverification.jpg
As the recovery key is used in place of security questions, keeping it secure is of the utmost importance. A lost or forgotten key can be recovered with a trusted device and a password, just as a password can be recovered with a trusted device and a recovery key.

The verification system will request a password that has one letter, one number, one capital letter, and at least eight characters. If such a password is not already in use, users will need to wait three days to fully enable two-step verification. Users with an already compliant password can move on immediately to the next step.

A security code will be sent through SMS or using the Find My iPhone app, and during setup, users can choose a single trusted device. To begin the process, users can visit the Apple ID website to implement two-step verification.

Article Link: Apple Increases Account Security With Optional Two-Step Verification System for Apple IDs

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Well I think this is good news. Annoying maybe but I would rather be annoyed by this than someone getting my CC info and then having to fight the credit card companies and the credit score agencies.

GreXXL

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Initially, two-step verification is being offered in the U.S., UK, Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand. Additional countries will be added over time.

Kind of Sucks ...
A feature yet not available over here!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.