Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Have a chance to buy a pristine 2012 13" MacBook Pro on a trade for $400 + my 16gb iPad 4...

Never have had the time to experience Mac OS...and have always wanted a MacBook to learn on...and having two iOS devices is almost redundant (iPhone & iPad) at times.

What do you guys think? Is it a deal or no deal?:confused:

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Have a chance to buy a pristine 2012 13" MacBook Pro on a trade for $400 + my 16gb iPad 4...

Never have had the time to experience Mac OS...and have always wanted a MacBook to learn on...and having two iOS devices is almost redundant (iPhone & iPad) at times.

If you travel or are on the go a lot, no deal without a doubt.
If you need extra power for video editing, etc. AT HOME, then deal it is!

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
If you travel or are on the go a lot, no deal without a doubt.
If you need extra power for video editing, etc. AT HOME, then deal it is!

Don't travel much...iPad hardly ever leaves the house. I use it mostly for apps, surfing web & email.

Don't do any video editing, nothing like that...just want good laptop for home use.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
That sounds like a good deal, just make sure it is as pristine as they say.
(See Signature) I have quite a few iOS devices and I've found ways of using all of them at once with my little Macbook. I've set up my iPad as a second monitor which I use primarily for writing and Photoshop drawing (sources and drawing tools on the iPad, tap and go)

I'm glad I have both, they work very well together so I'm usually very productive wherever I am. BUT above all, I could deal without the iPad, it's just an extra that I'm so happy to have, but not required. If I had to sell one of them now it would be the iPad.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
you can't even compare a computer with a full fledged OS to an iPad with iOS.

if you have no other computer (all you've had is an iPad) then you are definitely due for a real computer. i would get the Macbook Pro.

then you can shop around for a used iPad when you've saved up some more money - perhaps an iPad 3 16GB refurb for $379 or maybe even less

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
I have to say, what you do is perfet for an iPad. I would only get a laptop if I wanted one if I was in your situation; you have nothing to gain but pounds and processing power you do not need.

TheBozo

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2011
i'll choose the iPad

hi,
i have both Macbok air and iPad 2, and my iPad is my first choice.

Sophia.

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2013
United Kingdom

I'd trade for the MacBook Pro. :D Let the OS X goodness begin! :apple:

eagleglen

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I would suggest making the deal, but I bet you'll miss the portability of the iPad, since it's better suited for casual internet activities. I'd suggest getting an iPad Mini when you can. I found the full sized iPad a nice substitute for a laptop, but if you had both, a mini would fill it's speciality niche better.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Thanks for the replies guys. :D

I've decided to keep my iPad 4 at least until the new Mini drops later this year. Not sure I'm ready to lose the portability and ease of use with the iPad entirely, and not sure I need the performance of the MBP yet. So...have decided to look for a cheaper few-years-old MacBook to get aquainted with the Mac OSX with...then when the new iPad Mini drops, I'll be comfy enough with OSX enough (or not) enough to make a real jump to the MBP (or not)...and be cool with losing my iPad 4.

Makes sense to me...

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Thanks for the replies guys. :D

I've decided to keep my iPad 4 at least until the new Mini drops later this year. Not sure I'm ready to lose the portability and ease of use with the iPad entirely, and not sure I need the performance of the MBP yet. So...have decided to look for a cheaper few-years-old MacBook to get aquainted with the Mac OSX with...then when the new iPad Mini drops, I'll be comfy enough with OSX enough (or not) enough to make a real jump to the MBP (or not)...and be cool with losing my iPad 4.

Makes sense to me...

Good choice, given that you don't need the performance of a brand-new MBP. If you go for an older MacBook, you might want to get one which is compatible with 10.8 (or at least 10.7), though

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Good choice, given that you don't need the performance of a brand-new MBP. If you go for an older MacBook, you might want to get one which is compatible with 10.8 (or at least 10.7), though

Actually found a late-2008 MacBook Aluminum that's in great shape (aside from battery...but got one coming) for $250 and I'm spending some quality time with it. Still not comfortable with OS but getting more so.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I would suggest making the deal, but I bet you'll miss the portability of the iPad, since it's better suited for casual internet activities. I'd suggest getting an iPad Mini when you can. I found the full sized iPad a nice substitute for a laptop, but if you had both, a mini would fill it's speciality niche better.

Stress on casual internet activities. If you want to do anything productive on the internet, like interface with your college's web portal or take practice CLEP exams, the iPad is useless.

Get a computer (MBP in this case). Later on, when you have extra cash for a fun diversion, get an iPad.

----------

Money is no problem if you give me $3000.

Ha! :)
You just made my morning. :p

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
Stress on casual internet activities. If you want to do anything productive on the internet, like interface with your college's web portal or take practice CLEP exams, the iPad is useless.

Get a computer (MBP in this case). Later on, when you have extra cash for a fun diversion, get an iPad...

While I agree that having a computer first, iPad second...in many cases, such as for the OP---this isn't so cut -n- dry any longer. You present a strong case for the need of a laptop...albeit an extremely niche case. Most folks aren't in college any longer...nor do we need to practice CLEP exams. Students do. In college (or high school for that matter), a nice 13" MBP would be a perfect companion...and an iPad could be considered a distraction. However, post college...once you enter the 'real' world, get a gig...a mortgage, bride/groom, children, et al...sometimes an iPad is all that is necessary. My wife works in front of a screen all day. When she's home, her iPad is it. Her email, F/B, surfing and Pinterest...recipes and calendars, contacts and messaging, Bejeweled (That's a biggie for her;))...it's all there. Unless she's working our family business, she no longer needs a laptop. It's become unnecessary, completely. Even her casual photo editing (from her iPhone, her point and shoot is gathering dust). It's all done on the iPad.

Me though, I'm with ya---I need a computer. When I'm not doing my work though (I run the business), I'm on my iPad. It, too, gets what I need done. And what we do is definitely 'casual'....but I think most of us are casual users when we've graduated college, bought the house, had the kids...yada, yada :) It's become pretty rare that a website isn't conducive to the iPad. You may want to discuss with your university!! Many of the correspondence schools now have [Portal] Apps for access to everything necessary to participate. The traditional university is a bit behind (as is my local state college...I just took a couple of courses last semester). Hopefully, sooner than later...either they've coded their site for HTML5 access or built a front end app for access to your needs. IMO--an iPad, with it's battery life, always on access and ease of use/portability makes absolute sense to replace the laptop for the student...even though you may need to add a B/T keyboard case for full functionality

J

DesertEagle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2012
/home @ 127.0.0.1
Actually found a late-2008 MacBook Aluminum that's in great shape (aside from battery...but got one coming) for $250 and I'm spending some quality time with it. Still not comfortable with OS but getting more so.

Oh, that should work fine with OS X 10.8. My wife has that model too (which btw is the oldest one that supports Mountain Lion), and it works like a charm. You may have to swap out the fan when it starts rattling, but they're like $10 and it's a straightforward procedure.

davistld01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Springfield, MO
Oh, that should work fine with OS X 10.8. My wife has that model too (which btw is the oldest one that supports Mountain Lion), and it works like a charm. You may have to swap out the fan when it starts rattling, but they're like $10 and it's a straightforward procedure.

Yep, but I have found already that I am totally neglecting the Mac in favor of my pad 99% of the time even now! Guess that answers my question...

Glad I didn't trade my pad in favor of the MBP. Obviously, for me it might have been a mistake.

Thanks for the intelligent replies! :)

emuyshondt

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I have both a 13" MBP and an iPad 4. I use the iPad 75% of the time. There are just a few things that I do need the MBP for, mostly work related. I guess for you, the ratio is even more in favor of the iPad.

For general reading and browsing, and some dedicated apps, the iPad wins hands down. However, if I need to write longer papers or work on larger spreadsheets and presentations, then I turn to the MBP. My company also uses MS Sharepoint pretty heavily. It kind of works with Safari, but I often have to start a Windows Virtual Machine (Parallels) with Internet Explorer when a particular site gets cranky. I also have to give Powerpoint presentations and they don't always port to Keynote well. Thus, I use MS Office for Mac on the MBP.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Don't travel much...iPad hardly ever leaves the house. I use it mostly for apps, surfing web & email.

Don't do any video editing, nothing like that...just want good laptop for home use.

What is this 'home use' that you feel you need a laptop for.

If you are just wanting to learn Mac OS and perhaps have a place to back up your iPad etc then you might be better served looking at a refurb Mac Mini and hooking it to your TV as a monitor or getting an expensive HDMI TV etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.