Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
A perfect photo to start! Exposure is dead on and the star shape of the lamp post lights makes the photo twinkle. Nice Job!
My first shot as astrophotography. I also tried light painting the trees.
[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8188/8114415691_2868a6bf5a_b.jpg]Image[/url]
_DSC0172.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr
That's a lot of stars. I appreciate the thought to light the trees but I think it would have been stronger without. The silhouette of the trees may have let the stars really shine.
Where I want to be right now...

Tranquil and perfect. The water is like glass. Although there are many aspects to like, my favorite part is the light rays shining from the light house cupola.
I'm all about symmetry and this photo nails it! Down to the railing shadow in the middle of the stairs. Well done! Also, B&W was a great choice…work that contrast.
I like the lines in this photo and it looks like an interesting location. I wish the motion blur on the bench would have been either a still person or not there. Good use of the available light.
Still one of my favourite photos!
It's a little spooky but it's so dark that I can't make out the scene. Maybe if it was exposed for an area around the stairs it would have allowed for more detail in the darker areas. Maybe this was a post processing choice? I don't get what your trying to convey.
Gorgeous! The sky is ominous and deep. Fantastic use of the available light and right on exposure. Great choice of location and makes me want to visit. I event like the boat blur…the shutter speed was just fast enough to make out that it's a boat and not just a blur but still collect good light.
Apple for the masses! The feeling I get is hustle bustle and old meets new. The people are slightly washed out and lends to any time period without the apple store logos, that's cool.
Nice Gazebo! I'm not sure what I feel is missing, maybe some perspective with use of the building behind, maybe a closer shot with the surrounding garden and roof reaching the edges of the frame? Nice and bright though.
The Eiffel Tower

Nice shot of the Eiffel Tower! It's hard to capture a well known and photographed place and make it really sing. Great choice with the B&W
Vienna, Austria
Fun light pattern from the lamp post. I wonder how much more interesting it would have been if you got a higher perspective looking down on to the light spread and less of the tree tops.
I love the color in this photo. Great night time city scape.
Looking southwest near the top of Mauna Kea

The stars and sky colors are Beautiful! And capturing the sun setting behind the clouds is stunning.

The sky has some cool motion to it with the wispy clouds behind the towers. Nice color gradient too. I feel like I should be looking for a space ship or aliens.

Perseid meteor shower, 11 August 2012. There's a meteor streaking across the sky in there somewhere...can you find it?
Your star shot is very nice. I like that you captured some of the foreground in the shot for some perspective and cool silhouettes. The color variance in stars is nice too. Great job! How long was the exposure...or is is stacked?
There is something magical about this photo with its soft light. It's whimsical and simplistic… Fantastic! It is definitely the most interesting in the bunch, trash can or not.
Great photo! HDR? It almost doesn't feel like night at all. More like a stylized day shot. Very cool .
Cool pattern in the canopy. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at and wish that there was a focal point or selective focus to help explain what to get out of it. Maybe a bit of the scene or a couple of drinks to help?
Possibly slightly bending the rules (I used a flash) but the theme sort of had a night time feel to it!

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8100/8566808346_c3e996efca_c.jpg]Image[/url]
By the Light of the Night by acearchie, on Flickr
True, not really in the theme but a cool dramatic paparazzi shot. " no photos, please!"

Berwick-Upon-Tweed's Royal Border Bridge. The Train link for the East Coast Mainline.
I love this shot and the colors you captured. HOw sweet would this shot have been if there were a train zooming by. My only hope for this one is that the foreground could have been all water with reflection and no ground….that maybe would have pushed the bridge to the top left corner of the photo too. Nice shot.
The clock tower at old Fire Hall 17

Maybe a bit o the fire hall too would have made this photo more interesting? Good exposure.
Trying this from Flickr. Hope it works. Colors look wrong on this page though.

[url=http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8380/8569184420_bb0d6430cd_o.jpg]Image[/url]
Light_Night by Synaptic_Event, on Flickr
Good use of the available light but maybe a white balance adjustment to solve the color issue you mentioned and some puffs of smoke to add some texture and depth.
Northern Lights. March 18, Eagle River, Alaska
I would love to capture a shot of the northern lights someday soon. This shot is so cool! You missed the deadline though :)

1st Place - Stinja
2nd Place - Keleko
3rd Place - twitch31
4th Place - Fezwick

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Congrats everyone - I'm sure it was a tough week as I thought all the shots were excellent!

Thanks for the great judging/commentary!

Neur0genesis

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2011
Color Issue

Thanks and congrats to the winners. This is what I meant by the color issue. It actually shows up fine on my work computer, but my MBA (where the photo is stored) does this (screenshot attached) for some reason (Fire-Engine Red cast over everything). Issue with Safari maybe? Everyone else's photos look great! (both in rendering and content) Any ideas of what's wrong or where to look?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Crappycolor.pdf
    669.6 KB · Views: 144

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Cheers, it's not a HDR, just a long exposure, the lighting was so balanced it does almost resemble day.

As always, great shots everyone, look forward to Stinja's topic!

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
What a great set of photos! Congrats to Stinja who turned what was probably a humdrum scene into something magical.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Congrats to the winners. I had one shot that I did without painting the trees but I did not think it looked as good. I may have to revisit it.

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Lots of very well done shots in this group. I'm honored to be second best in it.

coryndiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
San Diego, Ca.
I private messaged Stinja this morning to notify him of the win and have not received a response. Should we move forward with Keleko as the runner up to choose a topic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.