Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Have just read a review of this word processor for iPad. Sounds impressive, but before spending lots of time on yet another writing app thought I'd check .. How many here using it and how impressive it is, or not?

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
It depends on what you want to do with it.

I'm a heavy UX Write user, it's the app I chose to write my book in. The developer sends out updates regularly and responds promptly to queries and suggestions.

I like the way it allows me to structure my text. For academic or complex documents it's a good choice. Headings, subheadings, an automatic contents page, etc. make the task of structuring a document very simple. The interface is not cluttered. It handles images and tables etc. very well. I prefer it to Pages to get jobs done. I also prefer it to Textilus which is similar yet not so user friendly. I use UX Write on an iPad and an iPad Mini very comfortably. It is certainly a very clear, bright writing environment.

However, certain features are still in the pipeline. For example, you can't currently search for a word in your text. You can't move documents between folders. The app can handle docx but not doc. You can't predict page endings or beginnings as you can in Pages because it's one continuous ream of screen, so when you save it as a PDF you're not quite sure what the document will look like. (Textilus has gotten around that recently, but it lacks in areas where UX Write excels.)

I use UX Write because it suits my purpose and I know the missing features will be added, so I regard this as a fully functional app in progress. It will surpass Pages in usability at some point unless Pages automates certain tasks like headers, contents, formatting, etc.

http://www.uxproductivity.com/word-processor-for-ipad-and-iphone#.UUrJgMu9KK0

http://blog.uxproductivity.com/

Last edited:

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
It depends on what you want to do with it.

I'm a heavy UX Write user, it's the app I chose to write my book in. The developer sends out updates regularly and responds promptly to queries and suggestions.

I like the way it allows me to structure my text. For academic or complex documents it's a good choice. Headings, subheadings, an automatic contents page, etc. make the task of structuring a document very simple. The interface is not cluttered. It handles images and tables etc. very well. I prefer it to Pages to get jobs done. I also prefer it to Textilus which is similar yet not so user friendly. I use UX Write on an iPad and an iPad Mini very comfortably. It is certainly a very clear, bright writing environment.

However, certain features are still in the pipeline. For example, you can't currently search for a word in your text. You can't move documents between folders. The app can handle docx but not doc. You can't predict page endings or beginnings as you can in Pages because it's one continuous ream of screen, so when you save it as a PDF you're not quite sure what the document will look like. (Textilus has gotten around that recently, but it lacks in areas where UX Write excels.)

I use UX Write because it suits my purpose and I know the missing features will be added, so I regard this as a fully functional app in progress. It will surpass Pages in usability at some point unless Pages automates certain tasks like headers, contents, formatting, etc.

http://www.uxproductivity.com/word-processor-for-ipad-and-iphone#.UUrJgMu9KK0

http://blog.uxproductivity.com/

Thanks, this is very helpful. I was interested because it seemed from the review that the developer is committed to improving the app. Currently using Scrivener on my Macs, which i love but that still isn't available for iPad. I have tried several apps, QuickOffice and Pages are okay but mostly using IA Writer on iPad, good for getting ideas down but a bit limited. I prefer the retina screen of my iPad4 to the MacBook Air for long sessions of writing but all the apps I've tried are frustrating in so many ways. So I will try UX Writer.

smithydan

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2013
Very impressive looking app and sure it will improve as time goes on. Will consider this.

@nightlong try iWriter, yup 'i' not 'iA'. Very nice, simple and powerful text app and better then iAWriter.

PranaMatt

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
Strange coincidence... I happened to just meet the developer of this app. You're absolutely right in his commitment to improve the app. Some great features coming out soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.