Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...75866249?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item460d996089 )

and when I pulled it out of the box, it had 8GB of RAM installed! Pretty cool considering the description was just the 4GB. If people can start getting some of these models from the refurb store with additional RAM then they are a really great deal.

I was surprised that the refurb model didn't come in a new Apple box. It came in a different type of packaging that read "Apple Certified" when you opened it. This is my first refurbished computer from Apple but on the forums I'd never heard of them shipping it in a different box.

Unforunately, my model has a Toshiba SSD and an LG screen though :mad: Win some lose some I guess!

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Refurbs come in a brown box. One of the things you don't get is the pretty Apple box. BUT you did get a $100 upgrade, free!

And if you see any problems with the SSD or display, bring it into Apple and they will make it right!

Congrats on your new computer.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
The plain box is really a non-issue when one considers the savings. I've purchased two refurb MBPs and both have been awesome. I even got the "surprise upgrade" phenomenon you experienced -- my second machine was listed as having a 5400 and actually had a 7200 RPM drive installed.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Wasn't even necessarily a bad thing about the brown box, just something I wasn't expecting! I'll definitely take a slightly worse box for all the savings.

And that's great to know other people have had surprise upgrades happen as well. Nothing can make your day more than that!

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
From what I understand the base models come with the Toshiba displays and SSDs.

I've also read that the 256GB SSD is a Samsung always while the 128GB is a Toshiba.

With Apple and Samsung appearing to sever ties, Apple will probably be using Toshiba for all their SSDs.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA

I've also read that the 256GB SSD is a Samsung always while the 128GB is a Toshiba.

With Apple and Samsung appearing to sever ties, Apple will probably be using Toshiba for all their SSDs.

I have heard about all the 256GB being Samsung, which I believe is true. I also believe that the 128GB SSD's (aka, base models) are sourced from both Samsung and Toshiba, but you're much more likely to receive a Toshiba. I'm not positive on any of that, though, it's just what I've pulled after reading several instances

At the end of the day it's a bit bothersome, though it's still a really fast SSD that's in the 2012 models regardless, so it's not a huge deal. The display is more important IMO, as that's what you'll be looking at all day, but I just added a new color profile to my LG and I am enjoying the difference.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have heard about all the 256GB being Samsung, which I believe is true. I also believe that the 128GB SSD's (aka, base models) are sourced from both Samsung and Toshiba, but you're much more likely to receive a Toshiba. I'm not positive on any of that, though, it's just what I've pulled after reading several instances

At the end of the day it's a bit bothersome, though it's still a really fast SSD that's in the 2012 models regardless, so it's not a huge deal. The display is more important IMO, as that's what you'll be looking at all day, but I just added a new color profile to my LG and I am enjoying the difference.

The SSD on the 2012 model (TS128E) is FAR better than the 2011 model. As far as the LG vs. Samsung LCD, my original base MBA with Toshiba SSD and LG LCD worked well. I sold my base MBA in favor of a i7/8GB/256GB model and it has both Samsung SSD and LCD. I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference in the PQ from the LG and Samsung display.

The Samsung SSD is faster write, but equal read speed.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
The SSD on the 2012 model (TS128E) is FAR better than the 2011 model. As far as the LG vs. Samsung LCD, my original base MBA with Toshiba SSD and LG LCD worked well. I sold my base MBA in favor of a i7/8GB/256GB model and it has both Samsung SSD and LCD. I can honestly tell you that I cannot see a difference in the PQ from the LG and Samsung display.

The Samsung SSD is faster write, but equal read speed.

That's good to know you couldn't tell differences in displays- pretty cool you now have an extreme model with everything Samsung.

And yeah, like you said, the 2012 SSD's are significantly speedier than the 2011 were, so regardless the machine will speed along

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
Unforunately, my model has a Toshiba SSD and an LG screen though :mad: Win some lose some I guess!

Did you notice something wrong with those 2 brands on a MacBook Air before you bought yours? Just asking, because I find the whole bias against the two brands very weird. Most people parrot what they read on forums like this one, without experiencing anything bad with their computer. Disclaimer: I'm not talking about the Retina image retention on the MacBook Pro. That's a real, genuine observable problem.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Did you notice something wrong with those 2 brands on a MacBook Air before you bought yours? Just asking, because I find the whole bias against the two brands very weird. Most people parrot what they read on forums like this one, without experiencing anything bad with their computer. Disclaimer: I'm not talking about the Retina image retention on the MacBook Pro. That's a real, genuine observable problem.

I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) that the Samsung panel clearly is the better display. Many say with a new color profile installed, the difference between the LG and Samsung isn't even noticeable, however I haven't yet gotten to side-by-side with a Samsung.

As far as the SSD goes, it really seems like the Samsung is the superior drive in every way, and I would much rather have a Samsung SSD then the Toshiba.
Anand did a really good overview about the differences between the SSD's if you're interested

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) that the Samsung panel clearly is the better display. Many say with a new color profile installed, the difference between the LG and Samsung isn't even noticeable, however I haven't yet gotten to side-by-side with a Samsung.

As far as the SSD goes, it really seems like the Samsung is the superior drive in every way, and I would much rather have a Samsung SSD then the Toshiba.
Anand did a really good overview about the differences between the SSD's if you're interested

Problem is, you don't get the choice in the base model. When you upgrade the SSD from 128 to 256 it is most likely a Samsung, but I seriously doubt the end user will ever notice a difference.

77slevin

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2013
Belgium
I have read on a number of sites (including Anandtech) /snip

And you prove my point! If you hadn't read that and you used your LG + Toshiba MacBook Air, you would be none the wiser and be happy with your Air.

I'm not suggesting you should stop reading reviews, but think about this one: Reviews are, for the most part written by paid journalists. You are never sure if they have a stick up their ass about this or that brand. Could be they had a bad experience with said brand and are not entirely honest about their agenda.
For all we know that reviewer just got a brand new Samsung Smart Phone for services rendered. ;)

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Nah.. My Air came with crappy 256GB Toshiba SSD

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Not Apple on eBay!!

"I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item460d996089 )"

How do you know that's Apple? I'm doubtful that it is--rather it's some 3rd party outfit that is certified to do Apple refurbishing.

Apple's refurbs are sold at apple.com only, right?

That seller on ebay is called "refurbished outlet" not Apple!

gertruded

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Northwestern Illinois
My 13 inch 2012 air was purchased new from BB and has Samsung drive and screen. Standard model with 4 gb of ram. Bb was running a sale and had the machine at refurb price. I usually purchase refurb Apple products and have had great success with them.

Kartram

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2013
I got mine last week from the same vendor on ebay, i can confirm that they are Apple, if you google, you will find enough references of them.

"I bought a refurb 2012 MBA from Apple's "refubished_outlet" eBay store ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBoo...item460d996089 )"

How do you know that's Apple? I'm doubtful that it is--rather it's some 3rd party outfit that is certified to do Apple refurbishing.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA

False. A few months back word spread on the internet about the refurbished_outlet account actually being owned and operated by Apple in some sort of test run. It's an interesting topic, and I really don't know why Apple has chosen to sell through the account and even offer better prices than the Apple Refurbished Store, but the process is definitely handled directly by Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apple...furbs-and-thats-before-taxpayment-advantages/

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
And you prove my point! If you hadn't read that and you used your LG + Toshiba MacBook Air, you would be none the wiser and be happy with your Air.

I'm not suggesting you should stop reading reviews, but think about this one: Reviews are, for the most part written by paid journalists. You are never sure if they have a stick up their ass about this or that brand. Could be they had a bad experience with said brand and are not entirely honest about their agenda.
For all we know that reviewer just got a brand new Samsung Smart Phone for services rendered. ;)

Anand is well-known for his very fair reviews and as such I'll take his advice not with complete faith, but I'll highly regard it. He said the same thing- most users probably won't notice the difference- but really the whole deal is that its irritating Apple has a "lottery" process with several components in their computers.

Also, I believe I can determine for myself about whether to trust a journalist or not.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

They are using Sandisk drives on some of the newer rMBPs now. They aren't quite as fast as the latest Samsung drives, but are faster than the Toshiba drives.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
They are using Sandisk drives on some of the newer rMBPs now. They aren't quite as fast as the latest Samsung drives, but are faster than the Toshiba drives.

We are talking about the Airs which do not use SanDisk anything.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
We are talking about the Airs which do not use SanDisk anything.

Now, but that doesn't mean that they won't with the next refresh. Apple apparently just recently started using SanDisk drives (with the 2013 mid-cycle refresh).

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
So, how do you know that it's Apple? No evidence!

Sorry, but responding "False" is nonsensical. How do you know that 9 to 5 is correct?

You wrote, "the process is definitely handled directly by Apple". Yet, there is absolutely no information in that story or the prior one that quotes a source, provides evidence, or in any way shape or form "proves" it's Apple.

You may want to believe it, but many of us would rather spend a few extra bucks to ensure we get our products directly from the real Apple with all the associated guarantees (returns, warranty, etc.).

It simply flies in the face of the company's long-time practices to show up on eBay under an assumed name. ("Refurbished Outlet"?!! :)) (What are the people behind this thinking?)

More likely, some major re-seller in China (or here) is doing this.

False. A few months back word spread on the internet about the refurbished_outlet account actually being owned and operated by Apple in some sort of test run. It's an interesting topic, and I really don't know why Apple has chosen to sell through the account and even offer better prices than the Apple Refurbished Store, but the process is definitely handled directly by Apple.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/03/08/apple...furbs-and-thats-before-taxpayment-advantages/

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
USA
You may want to believe it, but many of us would rather spend a few extra bucks to ensure we get our products directly from the real Apple with all the associated guarantees (returns, warranty, etc.).

Believe what you want, but simply google the refurbished_outlet account and you'll find several different websites all vouching that it is indeed Apple's eBay account. And as for your quote above, the laptop comes with the same 14-day return policy and comes with a genuine Apple 1 year warranty. So it literally is identical to purchasing from the Apple refurb site. I'll take my experience with the eBay account and everything else I've read over your empty suggestion that it is a third-party account because you have no grounds or evidence that suggets any of that. You are blindly suggesting that it is not Apple when you have obviously never dealt with nor researched the account.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.