Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rask

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2013
Hello!

I am currently active in a discussion on a Swedish Mac forum. (http://forum.macworld.se/topic/156831-vad-aer-widevine-media-optimizer-foer-program/)

We are a few people who has encountered a strange update request.

We are getting a dialog box with the text: "Widevine Media Optimizer Update Available" and then the options "Later" och "Update".

Se pic: http://forum.macworld.se/uploads/monthly_03_2013/post-54600-014574700 1363958215_thumb.png

The dialog box looks like crap and no one can recall having installed this applications. This makes us suspicious to as what this really is.

Some people claim that it is nothing, and some claim it is a virus. ClamXav doesn't detect it.

Anyhow we are unable to sort this out. All the information on it seems very contradicting.

Any ideas?

phillymjs

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
I got this, too.

And I similarly was like, WTF?

Then I remembered that it's legit because I had installed it as a condition of watching Netflix streaming content on my machine.

Their update notification method could be a little more polished, and less jarring.

JBH

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2013
brooklyn ny
Hi.. PhillyMJS so you're not concerned because it's installed on your computer...but I do not have Widevine Media Optimizer on my computer. Plus, I am only receiving this message on my mac air, not my iMac...and no one else I know is getting the pop-up. Plus this message does not stop! Did you download the update? Any problems? Still not convinced because it's not allowing me to totally ignore.

Celtiad54

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
Keeps showing up

And I similarly was like, WTF?

Then I remembered that it's legit because I had installed it as a condition of watching Netflix streaming content on my machine.

Their update notification method could be a little more polished, and less jarring.

I'm getting this too and even though I hit update, sooner or later it keeps coming back. I also found another plugin called widevinecdmadapter but it's not in my Internet plugins folder, it's in a folder labeled Widevine CDM.
Does this update window ever quit ?

mstmarie222

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
found this answer and so far its working

omar @yahoo answers wrote: It lets you watch DRM video, I got it installing an app by Amazon for their videos.

On a Mac you can go to your HDD and go into Library/Internet Plug-Ins, you can delete it from there it'll be something like WidevineMediaOptimizer.plugin, just delete the little sucker.

It started nagging me nonstop about updates, that's how I found out I got it. It's gone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.