Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
I am looking to buy a macro lens for my D5000, and I was hoping that somebody could suggest a good lens. My budget is fairly flexible. It's mostly for work, taking photos of tiny minerals (usually outdoors). I don't know anything about macro photography so any comments are appreciated!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am looking to buy a macro lens for my D5000, and I was hoping that somebody could suggest a good lens. My budget is fairly flexible. It's mostly for work, taking photos of tiny minerals (usually outdoors). I don't know anything about macro photography so any comments are appreciated!

Are there major camera stores near you? I suggest go to the store and try the 1 or 2 macro lenses they might have.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
There is no such thing as a bad macro lens. What you have to decide is how much reach do you need. If you are doing tabletop work, then a 50mm or 60mm is fine. Some may want a little more reach and go with the 90mm or 105mm range. Then there are those who want to shoot insects with plenty of space between them and the subject look at 200mm. Just remember that a longer lens will most likely need a stable tripod to help with the shots. A ring flash also helps a lot too. Even hand holding a Nikon 105mm VR is tough when taking a true 1:1 or 1:2 macro shot. My favorite was the Nikon 60mm because of the shorter distance.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
There is no such thing as a bad macro lens. What you have to decide is how much reach do you need. If you are doing tabletop work, then a 50mm or 60mm is fine. Some may want a little more reach and go with the 90mm or 105mm range. Then there are those who want to shoot insects with plenty of space between them and the subject look at 200mm. Just remember that a longer lens will most likely need a stable tripod to help with the shots. A ring flash also helps a lot too. Even hand holding a Nikon 105mm VR is tough when taking a true 1:1 or 1:2 macro shot. My favorite was the Nikon 60mm because of the shorter distance.

Thanks for the advice, I hadn't thought of the distance that I wanted to shoot. Do you know if the Sigma EM-140 DG Macro Ring Flash is any good?

Cheers.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Melizard, I would listen to what Vudoo is suggesting. I have the 200mm he is speaking of and I love it for allowing a greater distance between me and the subject. The downside is the size & weight - it's a monster. I always use a tripod and exposure delay mode (mirror up) for the best results.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If you have an existing lens with an aperture ring and don't mind losing metering and autofocus, perhaps just get a reversing ring for that lens?

ergdegdeg

Moderator emeritus
Oct 13, 2007
My friend, who is a biologist and avid macro-photographer, recommends the old Nikon AF D 60/2,8. Of course, it doesn't have auto-focus on the D5000, so if you really want/need that, go with the Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor 60mm/2.8G ED. He has the old AF-D and loves it. Another option, if you want a little more reach would be the Nikon AF-S Micro Nikkor DX 85mm 1:3.5G ED VR. A ring flash will also help a lot.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
105 Micro 2.8

I am using the Nikkor 105 Micro (Nikonspeak for 'Macro') on a Nikon DSLR7000. Very, very pleased with it :)

You can check the reviews... Google

Woodenboat

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2013
North Carolina
105 Macro

The Nikon 105mm f/2.8 macro is a nice lens and relatively inexpensive.

I agree that the 105mm is an excellent macro lens. I have had it for years and love. Very sharp lens; I usually use tripod. Lack of auto focus is not problem since I prefer to manually focus closeups.

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Thank you all for your input! I am thinking about the Nikon 85 mm 3.5 ED VR DX lens, since my camera has a crop sensor. I think it will be a nice middle ground between the 60 and the 105 (hopefully).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.