Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tob866622

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Hi

I recently got my MacBook Pro retina display about 2 weeks ago. I had a problem when I'm playing YouTube in 720 or 1080p full screen it lags. You will be able to tell the differences when you look at the screen. So I decided to take it to apple store to check the hardware. They decided to replace my logic board it took a couple of days. When I came back to take the machine back they told me to re-check the computer so I opened up the machine and try playing YouTube again it still lags. Have anyone of you got any ideas of why this keeps happening even after replacing the logic board and reinstalling the os. Using the computer normally nothing happens it runs smoothly playing games on windows 8 runs smoothly. But I'm just concerned since it's not a cheap machine.

Thanks in advance

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Have you reset the SMC stuff? Also, have you reset NVRAM and PRAM? There are guide on how to do that all over the Web. Also make sure that you have all firmware and other such updates installed when you reinstall the OS.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
i do not think the youtube player are good on the rMBP, i watch my youtube in html5 and it do have some troubles doing full screen.
Normal playing not a problem

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
Also something I just was thinking of: be sure you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player plug-in installed. It should prompt you to install the latest after you reinstall the OS, but if it doesn't just manually download the installer and let 'er rip!. lol

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
To fix this problem just disable the GPU auto-switch. it will use the NVIDIA chip and it will be great with HD videos.

tob866622

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Have you reset the SMC stuff? Also, have you reset NVRAM and PRAM? There are guide on how to do that all over the Web. Also make sure that you have all firmware and other such updates installed when you reinstall the OS.

Not yet I will take a look at it when I get the computer back

----------

i do not think the youtube player are good on the rMBP, i watch my youtube in html5 and it do have some troubles doing full screen.
Normal playing not a problem

Yes the same goes for me normal screen is ok running smoothly but when I press fullscreen it lags like crazy.

----------

Also something I just was thinking of: be sure you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player plug-in installed. It should prompt you to install the latest after you reinstall the OS, but if it doesn't just manually download the installer and let 'er rip!. lol

I actually use google chrome and safari and both of them are installed with the newest flash player.

----------

To fix this problem just disable the GPU auto-switch. it will use the NVIDIA chip and it will be great with HD videos.

I tried that no differences at all. I don't understand it too, I tried downloading Google Chrome on the demo machine in the store and tired running it, it runs fine with Safari and Google Chrome.

john500y2k

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2013
Hey tob866622 I had the exact same problem but managed to resolve it.

I use chrome and not safari at all. When I did a fresh install with just chrome it did the lag when in fullscreen that you too are experiencing. Then I tried downloading flash directly from the adobe site and that made no difference.

After some Googleing I found out that you must disable the built in chrome flash player for the directly downloaded adobe one to work.

To do this in web address bar go to:

chrome://plugins

Click details near the top right of the page. Look for Adobe flash player and disable the one with the location Google.Chrome.app

Once I did this, reloaded Chrome and went to youtube and was thrilled to have fullscreen HD with no lag at all. Even noticed that when I clicked the fullscreen button it would be instant with no flicker as before.

I also have automatic graphic switching enabled and no problems with that either.

On an additional note I was round a friends today and he has a windows PC and had the same issue. The above also addressed his issue.

Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
Hi

I recently got my MacBook Pro retina display about 2 weeks ago. I had a problem when I'm playing YouTube in 720 or 1080p full screen it lags. You will be able to tell the differences when you look at the screen. So I decided to take it to apple store to check the hardware. They decided to replace my logic board it took a couple of days. When I came back to take the machine back they told me to re-check the computer so I opened up the machine and try playing YouTube again it still lags. Have anyone of you got any ideas of why this keeps happening even after replacing the logic board and reinstalling the os. Using the computer normally nothing happens it runs smoothly playing games on windows 8 runs smoothly. But I'm just concerned since it's not a cheap machine.

Thanks in advance

I'm curious, do you use Chrome? Because they use a Flash plug-in with their browser. It's best to disable it and use the one you download yourself.

You disable it by going into chrome://plugins

I had the same problem on mine, but then I disabled it and all is good.

----------

I use chrome and not safari at all. When I did a fresh install with just chrome it did the lag when in fullscreen that you too are experiencing. Then I tried downloading flash directly from the adobe site and that made no difference.

After some Googleing I found out that you must disable the built in chrome flash player for the directly downloaded adobe one to work.

Click details near the top right of the page. Look for Adobe flash player and disable the one with the location Google.Chrome.app

Once I did this, reloaded Chrome and went to youtube and was thrilled to have fullscreen HD with no lag at all. Even noticed that when I clicked the fullscreen button it would be instant with no flicker as before.

I also have automatic graphic switching enabled and no problems with that either.

On an additional note I was round a friends today and he has a windows PC and had the same issue. The above also addressed his issue.

Hope it works for you.

This works. Typed my response up before reading the thread :)

tob866622

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011

Hope it works for you.

Thanks I'll try it when I get the rMBP so apple replaced my logic board for no reason lol

tob866622

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
So after wasting about 1 week apple decided to change my macbook pro retina from 2.4 ghz to the top model!

trombo22

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2013
Just to add, I have the 15" 2.6 with 10.8.3 and all up to date(including flash). I use the click to flash extension which auto converts to html5 if it can. I watch I also watch videos on the highest quality available with 1080p frequently. I have graphics switching on and have great performance while watching 1080p.

I included a screen shot of istat menu while playing 2 1080p videos on youtube. There is one 1080p on main monitor and another on an external monitor with various other things open. So the retina 15" with current software is capable without any adjustments to the os.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.45.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 11.45.18 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 248

Cergman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2013
my tesla
So after wasting about 1 week apple decided to change my macbook pro retina from 2.4 ghz to the top model!

And this is the reason I love to buy Apple products. Their customer support is top notch, and will compensate you for time wasted with things like upgrades. Just got my retina 15" base model about a week ago, and it is flawless so far. 

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.