Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CountBrass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I'd like to add 802.11n to my MP1.1. Internal would be preferred or a USB solution I can plug into the back of my Cinema Display.

Looked in my local PC World and was told the Linksys/ Cisco and NetgearUSBs wouldn't work with a Mac (I suspect this isn't true).

Suggestions?

initialsBB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
I'm pretty sure they would work, especially now that 802.11n is finalised. Best bet is to get one from a store with a return policy.When it's plugged in you may have to set it up in the internet section of system preferences, as in add it in to the list of interfaces.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I'm also looking to put 802.11n in my MP 1,1....

Is there somewhere I can find which TP Link cards are compatible? Are they all compatible OOTB in OS X?

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I'm also looking to put 802.11n in my MP 1,1....

Is there somewhere I can find which TP Link cards are compatible? Are they all compatible OOTB in OS X?

The TP link card I posted is compatible OOTB..Where to get them I dunno. I get them from K&M Computers locally. Their wired NIC's are also compatible..

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
If you don't want a bunch of junk hanging out the back of your computer, just get a replacement that has N.

I can confirm that it adds N support and doubles link speed.

I got mine for all 3 Mac Pros, it is an exercise in frustration snapping all 3 antennas on, but worth it.

Here is one for $7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-020...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257bc27164

I got 4 of these for $20 each, all 3 I installed worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/450M-Apple-...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2c6939bed1

Have a look inside your Pro. While there are only 2 antenna plugs on existing Airport card, there are 3 wires.....

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
If you don't want a bunch of junk hanging out the back of your computer, just get a replacement that has N.

I can confirm that it adds N support and doubles link speed.

I got mine for all 3 Mac Pros, it is an exercise in frustration snapping all 3 antennas on, but worth it.

Here is one for $7:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-020...532?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257bc27164

I got 4 of these for $20 each, all 3 I installed worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/450M-Apple-...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2c6939bed1

Have a look inside your Pro. While there are only 2 antenna plugs on existing Airport card, there are 3 wires.....

Wait, there really are 3 wires for wifi? I thought there are 2 + 1 for BT, but never actually had a chance to look inside. So how is it, really?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
I updated in all 3 models of Mac Pro.

They all had Airport Ext cards from Apple and they had 2 wires hooked up, one still shrouded in plastic. The new cards I linked had 3 ports.

You can verify the doubling of wireless speed with Network Utility, in your App folder.

So for $20 you get faster wireless, and no wires or USB dongles or antennas using up a PCIE slot.

But honestly, I think most of those MBP cards with N would work as well.

Cheap, needs no drivers, utilizes all 3 built in antennae. It's a win-win.

I have no affiliation with this seller, I'm not even sure that's the guy I bought it from.

But I think the $8-15 MBP cards work as well.

All use built in Apple software.

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I ended up getting the 4800, I'll post back if it works. It's for my 1,1 with 10.7.x.

It seems like it will get better reception than the internal ones, plus I don't need the PCIe Slot for anything else so that's not a big deal.

If it doesn't work, I'll go for the MacVidCards solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.