Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
Finally tried out the Nifty Drive with an SD card and can't write.

With the Terminal, I get:

Code:
$ touch file_1
touch: file_1: Read-only file system
$
Works fine with the supplied adapter.

drsox

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2011
Xhystos
Just got mine. Works fine but the coloured edge is slightly wonky. Recesses at one end and sticks out at the other, but only by a fraction of a mm. Otherwise - well done Nifty.

Be careful when detaching the drive (and the tool) from the packaging - the glue is strong.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Mine arrived today. Looks great and fits snuggle in my MBP's SD slot. I don't have a micro-SD card yet to test functionality, but I supposed I am not in the market for one!

EatMyApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2008
Got mine today also. The silver part to match the MBP case was already broken off. Looks like only two little pegs keep it on and one was broken.

Overall, great idea - just a cheap product from a quality view. Def not worth the $20 bucks or whatever it was to jumpstart this cheapo part.

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
Well, I wouldn't rush to order one just yet. I'm in the UK and my drive arrived about 4 weeks ago - only it has the 'Read Only' fault as listed on their site. Wrapping tape around the drive makes it readable most of the time, but I've given up using it - don't like having the tape in my machine, and having to fish it in and out to get it recognised as Read/Write defeats the purpose.

Had to email support a few times before I got a reply to say that they've put me down for a free replacement drive. That's good, but as for when or if I'll ever see it...who knows...:rolleyes:

Thanks for the update. Lord knows I already have enough broken stuff laying around here! Now to return that faulty ergotron LX arm that crashed my monitor to my desk!

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Not going to bother with this - I need to insert full size SD cards too often so need the port free.
A good idea though.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Got my 64gb microSD today. I also can only see it as read-only with the mini drive. WTF?

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
They say on their website there might be a small percentage that are faulty. From posts here, looks more like 99 percent! Still waiting for mine.

ohla313

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Mine came in the mail yesterday and its perfect. Solid construction and no read only error. I was concerned as I read all those stories about it. I got the silver one and it looks great on my MBA 13". I store my iTunes library on it and it doesn't cause a hiccup!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Anyone else having problems with Nifty Drive?

My situation is good and bad. The nifty drive works, but the SD card I paid for was not supplied. I have written to them twice, asking them to refund for the card as I've bought one. No response.

Opp

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I got mine around march 1st, didnt even fit into my sd card slot:mad:

Like it's not even close, the metal piece/end is too large. I contacted them for a replacement and on the 6th they were supposed to be sending a return envelope. Nothing as of now...

So far this has been a horrible experience.

goldfronts1

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2012
Got mine the other day (13" MBA silver). It works just fine. Overall, great product. However, the delay in shipment was horrendous. Other than that they have a very neat product. Just need to work out the kinks in customer support and shipping.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I have now been refunded for the card not supplied. But, took too long, they need to invest in customer service and in packaging ... sending the right orders, saving themselves and customers problems.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have now been refunded for the card not supplied. But, took too long, they need to invest in customer service and in packaging ... sending the right orders, saving themselves and customers problems.

Unfortunately, the problem is that most Kickstarter projects are usually small operations (less than 5 people/"mom and pop"). Often times the "CEO" is the same one taking calls, shipping, etc. If you want that sort of experience, I would recommend staying away from Kickstarter projects altogether and go with stuff from major corporations. They "only" had $400K pledged. By the time you pay for the actual production of the drives, that doesn't leave a lot of money to hire people (at best they maybe "made" 200K and each employee hired would come out of that 200K). Many Kickstarter projects are more or less one-and-done, so after the initial runs there isn't any reason to hire customer service people since it would only be a few month gig anyway and eat most of the profits from the kickstarter project.

I'm not saying that is an excuse for poor customer service, but I'm simply trying to point out that your expectations might be out out of line for the amount of money being "made"....

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Reasonable points, as it was the first Kickstarter project I'd been involved with and so I didn't fully appreciate the difference to an established company. However, they did get a lot of money, and i dont think it is unreasonable to expect all the parts ordered and paid for to be supplied.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Reasonable points, as it was the first Kickstarter project I'd been involved with and so I didn't fully appreciate the difference to an established company. However, they did get a lot of money, and i dont think it is unreasonable to expect all the parts ordered and paid for to be supplied.

As I stated, I totally agree it isn't justification for poor customer service. Just means there's a lot of growing pains you have expect/deal with (right or wrong).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.