Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Hi guys,

Recently a group of us had to make a short documentary for a university module. Normally camera is my main forte but I was busy when we chose to film so I had to do the edit.

Frankly the camera work was pretty shoddy and I had to do the best I could to hide some of the glaring mishaps such as no pauses before and after each shot so there is some flexibility in the edit. It even went to the point where on a pan they wouldn't even start from a static shot!

Sound was also a huge issue and some shots the mic was just placed in completely the wrong place and I heard more of the surroundings than I heard from the subjects.

Exposure was a bit hot in some shots and being only DSLRs there wasn't a huge amount I could do to regain the detail and with the deadline looming I decided to skip grading as I feel that it woudln't have made a huge difference.

I don't know if it annoys anyone else but the framing seems off in a lot of the interview shots.

Anyway, I would love to hear your opinions on any aspect of it so I can look to improve in the future!

Cheers!

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
After reading your comments and seeing the end result all i can say you got the message over.
Personally i think you know what you are doing and any feedbacks would have to be off a high mark.
You entertained me and you covered the subject to the people who are into this art form.
You could improve on the interview by showing cut-aways as they are talking. Otherwise good work.;)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
You could improve on the interview by showing cut-aways as they are talking. Otherwise good work.;)

Believe me, I would have loved to have relevant cut aways! For instance one thing I would really like to change is to have a montage of different styles of tattoo that reflect what the girl is talking about when she mentions her favourite styles.

Thanks for the feedback!

greg12345a

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2012
Great vid! Feedback? I'm really not that into video production but cut-scenes during an interviews like it was said before & maybe you can try extract some warmer colors ( I know its hard, but with these colored tattoos it will look great IMO )

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Feedback on the video editing?

At 1:23, when the narrator finished talking, I felt like the wait is too long and shows an irrelevant shot during that time. There should have been a J-cut to close the gap.

And I think the still image at 5:28 could have been scaled up a bit more, perhaps you were having trouble retaining quality?

Only other thing I can really comment on in b-roll. It would have been good to have more b-roll and relevant at that (You already established this).

Also, you weren't lying about the camerawork, it is pretty bad. Out of focus and badly framed. There's little you can do about that in post though.

Overall I think you did a good job. I definitely learned some things, like that traditional method of tattooing, and that anecdote from George Bone regarding his genesis in the industry and Guinness World Record was interesting.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2006
Overall I think you did a good job. I definitely learned some things, like that traditional method of tattooing, and that anecdote from George Bone regarding his genesis in the industry and Guinness World Record was interesting.

Thanks for the feedback. I will take all these points on board when I can get back to the computer I was editing it on!

It was really frustrating to hope for certain clips/framing and it just not be there.

The original editing script I got was pants and wanted to focus more on things such as the fire alarm rather than learning about these peoples experiences and opinions. I suppose the nice thing about being the editor is that you sort of get the last say on how the story gets told, especially since the “director” was a few hours drive away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.