Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Has anyone had any luck with clear iPad 2 (note- I want something specific to iPad 2, NOT one that is also compatible to the 3rd and 4th gens) skins that are:

- clear
- almost entirely protective (as in, goes close to all ports and buttons, and as close to the edges as you can get)
- simple, dry application
- doesn't peel off over time with normal use
- preferably similar in feel to the naked aluminum, if not, a glossy finish that doesn't scratch easily
- under $50

I've searched around without much luck, and would prefer going with something someone recommends rather than a blind choice of a product on eBay.

Thanks!

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Has anyone had any luck with clear iPad 2 (note- I want something specific to iPad 2, NOT one that is also compatible to the 3rd and 4th gens) skins that are:

- clear
- almost entirely protective (as in, goes close to all ports and buttons, and as close to the edges as you can get)
- simple, dry application
- doesn't peel off over time with normal use
- preferably similar in feel to the naked aluminum, if not, a glossy finish that doesn't scratch easily
- under $50

I've searched around without much luck, and would prefer going with something someone recommends rather than a blind choice of a product on eBay.

Thanks!

I have always really loved wrapsol skins but these don't fit your criteria. However, reasons why I go back to wrapsol time and time again:

MATTE FINISH - not sticky, no rainbow, no orange peal, looks and feels just like nothing is on the device at all. Feels smooth.

Easy to apply even though wet application

Lifetime warranty - if it gets gummed up, I just return it for a brand new one.

perfect fit

If you are like me and are turned off by sticky textures, greasy feel, fingerprints etc, take a look at wrapsol.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have always really loved wrapsol skins but these don't fit your criteria. However, reasons why I go back to wrapsol time and time again:

MATTE FINISH - not sticky, no rainbow, no orange peal, looks and feels just like nothing is on the device at all. Feels smooth.

Easy to apply even though wet application

Lifetime warranty - if it gets gummed up, I just return it for a brand new one.

perfect fit

If you are like me and are turned off by sticky textures, greasy feel, fingerprints etc, take a look at wrapsol.

Thanks, peapody. I've usually just written off wet-applications right off the bat because I don't trust myself to attempt it. However, now I'm going to give it further consideration. This morning, I purchased the Belkin case I linked to, too, so I will update when that comes in. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Wrapsol - as I would rather a skin vs a case anyway. Like you, I can't stand the orange peel look and prefer a matte finish, so it sounds promising. :)

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Thanks, peapody. I've usually just written off wet-applications right off the bat because I don't trust myself to attempt it. However, now I'm going to give it further consideration. This morning, I purchased the Belkin case I linked to, too, so I will update when that comes in. If that doesn't work, I'll try the Wrapsol - as I would rather a skin vs a case anyway. Like you, I can't stand the orange peel look and prefer a matte finish, so it sounds promising. :)

Yeah it sounds like you are as picky as I am ;) so that might work for you. I wrapsol most of my devices because of the feel. It will get you the result you are looking for.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I just purchased the sticker boy . net matte back easy extreme fit skin. I should get in a few days, then i can let you know how it goes.

It's not a wet install, but by most accounts it's a very difficult install that requires the use of a hair dryer. However, it seems also to be the most perfectly cut skin there is.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I just purchased the sticker boy . net matte back easy extreme fit skin. I should get in a few days, then i can let you know how it goes.

It's not a wet install, but by most accounts it's a very difficult install that requires the use of a hair dryer. However, it seems also to be the most perfectly cut skin there is.

I can't seem to locate the clear version on their website. But thanks- let me know how it goes! The install videos on YouTube look pretty tricky, even for someone who has done it a number of times.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I received the Belkin case today, and so far, I love it! That said, it was incredibly hard to put on as it is so tight and thin. Only time will tell if it hold up ad doesn't crack as others have mentioned. I'm going to stick with this for now instead of a skin, as I enjoy the color (smoke), its matte finish, and the fact that you can see the Apple logo and "iPad" through it. It goes right up to each port as I wanted as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.