Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarrab666

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Sydney
Hello All,

This is a project that I'd like to set up.

Currently I live in Australia (moved from the UK), I miss BBC iPlayer and 4OD, I have access to a VPN connection in the UK to get these brilliant services however I'd like to configure my home nework/server to pass any traffic to these two sites via the VPN only when needed. Do any of you very clever people have any ideas on how I can/could achieve this?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
If you know the IP address (or range of addresses) that the BBC site uses, you can simply add a route to it from terminal like this.

This will make packets to any IP address that starts with 212.58.253.xxx go to a specified IP address (should be the router on the other side of your VPN).
Code:
sudo route add 212.58.253.0/24 192.168.100.1

If you do "netstat -nr" before and after you will see the route get added to the table and generally get a good idea of where you need to route (and also what IP addresses on your local network have been resolved into hardware MAC addresses to make unicast packets specifically to them).

scarrab666

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
Sydney
Thanking you...

If you know the IP address (or range of addresses) that the BBC site uses, you can simply add a route to it from terminal like this.

This will make packets to any IP address that starts with 212.58.253.xxx go to a specified IP address (should be the router on the other side of your VPN).
Code:
sudo route add 212.58.253.0/24 192.168.100.1

If you do "netstat -nr" before and after you will see the route get added to the table and generally get a good idea of where you need to route (and also what IP addresses on your local network have been resolved into hardware MAC addresses to make unicast packets specifically to them).

Thanks my man, this points me in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.