Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taglea2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
When using the rear camera on my iPhone 5, I'm seeing a purple dot no matter where I point the camera. It's not the purple haze reported a month or two ago, but just a solid purple dot. Is there something to do to clean the lens, or is a trip to my local Apple Store in order to swap out?

Images attached as reference. Top is the ceiling of the current room I'm in, and the bottom is of the trackpad on my MacBook
photo-10.JPG

photo-11.JPG

StefInk

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Mine started doing the same thing today out of the blue ... a small purple-ish spot in every photo.

Did you figure out the problem or end up getting a replacement yet? I have an appointment Sunday afternoon at the Apple Store but wish I could fix it myself.

taglea2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Mine started doing the same thing today out of the blue ... a small purple-ish spot in every photo.

Did you figure out the problem or end up getting a replacement yet? I have an appointment Sunday afternoon at the Apple Store but wish I could fix it myself.

Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the Apple Store yet. The one here in town is in the mall, and it's at least a 30 minute wait to get out of the parking lot when leaving. I'm planning on going down sometime this afternoon, will follow up with what happens.

StefInk

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Unfortunately I haven't gotten to the Apple Store yet. The one here in town is in the mall, and it's at least a 30 minute wait to get out of the parking lot when leaving. I'm planning on going down sometime this afternoon, will follow up with what happens.

Ugh, sounds similar to our mall. I dread it.

Good luck & thanks for the reply!

JeySpec99

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011

I'm having the same problem. Did you get a replacement??

taglea2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Yes. They told me it was a lens hardware issue and swapped it out for me.

Same here. The genius bar technician had never seen anything like that, and even after taking the back panel off and cleaning the outer and inner lenses, the problem still persisted. All the other techs in the store at the time hadn't seen the problem either, and they swapped out my phone.

chasmodesto

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Purple spot on Iphone 5

I had the same thing happen yesterday with my 1 month old phone. I went to the Apple store today and within 10 minutes, I was given a new phone. No problems.

As usual, Apple has stood behind their products and swapped out a faulty one. It doesn't happen often but I have to say no other company stands behind their products as well as Apple..

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Very strange - A replacement of the camera should fix the issue. Glad to hear that Apple has replaced the device.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Had this issue appear today. Genius replaced my iPhone. Said he had seen it two or three times prior.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
The blemish illustrated by the OP is due to a speck of dust or imperfection on or with the camera sensor. Replacement is the only solution. This is explained by the fact that the spec is sharply defined and in the same position on all photos. It is nothing to do with the lens - if it was it would be larger and ill-defined.

This problem is well known to photographers who own DSL cameras with detachable lenses. When changing lenses, dust can get into the camera and settle on the exposed sensor. The result is similar to the OP's example.

new0rder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
NYC
Update, they replaced my iPhone no question ask. Side note the replaced phone still got 6.0.2 firmware

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Great. This kind of spot showed up on my iPhone 5 while on vacation this week. Swap for new one will cost me jailbreak and Gmail push. Home button has been wonky for a while, anyway.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Great. This kind of spot showed up on my iPhone 5 while on vacation this week. Swap for new one will cost me jailbreak and Gmail push. Home button has been wonky for a while, anyway.

same downside i had as well, which forced me to start using icloud as opposed to gmail. needless to say, im happier with than i was with gmail.

0nesixteen

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2013
I just thought I would share that I'm having major problems with my camera!
This is insane!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1,734
Last edited:

Nashferg91

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Apparently this is a problem with the majority of iPhone 5's. I've already had one replaced and the purple specks are appearing on my newest one now, too. So I thought I'd share a temporary fix. There's an app called TouchRetouch that gets rid of blemishes. You can highlight the dots and virtually erase them. It's a pain that you have to do it in the first place but until I can get ANOTHER replacement it's been a big help for me. Good luck!

edk

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2006
same problem here!! :( I've just seen that all my pics taken in the last 2 months have 2 small squiggles .. really pissed :(

have an appointment on Friday at the apple store...

Doesn anyone know a quick and easy way to remove the dots in Lightroom? Is it better to use heal or clone? What's the best technique?

Cheers

pascowa

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2013
We have two iPhone 5's, and both camera's have the purple dots.

Here's two examples:
the pictures are cropped and size increased by 150%

N4TUame.jpg

We bought our phones 1 year ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.